More security issues finally being made public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Security researchers have now discovered a similar vulnerability in keyless vehicles made by several carmakers. The weakness – which affects the Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) transponder chip used in immobilizers – was discovered in 2012, but carmakers sued the researchers to prevent them from publishing their findings.

[...]

The Megamos is one of the most common immobilizer transponders, used in Volkswagen-owned luxury brands including Audi, Porsche, Bentley and Lamborghini, as well as Fiats, Hondas, Volvos and some Maserati models.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...g-security-flaw

This is the problem with a lot of our "advancements." Thefts are now (to a larger extent) globally driven. These guys stealing your car in 2015 are PRO's. They know what they are after; they target; and they get what they want! Quick and in a hurry. Your stolen vehicle is chopped up or in many cases, across the border ASAP. Petty thief's have great difficulties taking your whole car.

21st century slim jim. No matter how much theft deterrent techjunk they put cars will always get stolen. Maybe the inventor of the original "The Club" should invent a 21st century "The Club" for these newer cars.

Originally Posted By: CT8
My opinion is electronic junk sucks.I hate it

Perhaps. But, General Motors mechanical ignition switches were some of the worst junk in automotive history, and they used them long past their best before date. They had way too few combinations of keys, not to mention the real weakness of being able to actually jimmy them, and then the real weaknesses in the door locks, which were way too easy to force open.

All this electronic junk has dropped motor vehicle theft rates here down dramatically. Sure, a determined thief will never be stopped. A well equipped theft ring will just tow the vehicle. But, the days of rotten kids with screwdrivers getting into twenty or more GM products each night in this city and going for joyrides is over.

One should not be able to steal any parked car in under 5 minutes with only a flathead screwdriver. We get mad at automakers for suppressing RFID security flaws (which may or may not have been done in good faith), yet we were dumb enough to buy into the GM ignition switch system from the 1960s until around 2000.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: CT8
My opinion is electronic junk sucks.I hate it

Perhaps. But, General Motors mechanical ignition switches were some of the worst junk in automotive history, and they used them long past their best before date. They had way too few combinations of keys, not to mention the real weakness of being able to actually jimmy them, and then the real weaknesses in the door locks, which were way too easy to force open.

All this electronic junk has dropped motor vehicle theft rates here down dramatically. Sure, a determined thief will never be stopped. A well equipped theft ring will just tow the vehicle. But, the days of rotten kids with screwdrivers getting into twenty or more GM products each night in this city and going for joyrides is over.

One should not be able to steal any parked car in under 5 minutes with only a flathead screwdriver. We get mad at automakers for suppressing RFID security flaws (which may or may not have been done in good faith), yet we were dumb enough to buy into the GM ignition switch system from the 1960s until around 2000.

Very well stated.

I'm all for "simple" cars as well, but some advancements should get their well deserved credit. The anti theft technology is one of them IMO.

Thanks. Oh, and anyone who complains about $200 to reprogram keys has never had the pleasure of tearing into a GM steering column when the ignition switch assembly has piled up, either.

Stealing cars is more difficult than in the past. Why is that a bad thing?

Originally Posted By: whip

It's a bad thing when the technology makes them EASIER to steal. Read the article.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

It's a bad thing when the technology makes them EASIER to steal. Read the article.

That article is opinion. I like facts.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr...r-vehicle-theft

Quote:
The estimated number of motor vehicle thefts increased 0.6 percent in 2012 when compared with the 2011 estimates, but declined 24.8 percent when compared to the 2008 estimates, and 42.8 percent when compared to the 2003 estimates. (See Table 1A.)

Modern cars are more difficult to steal. If a pro wants your car, nothing will stop him. The new technology has made it much more difficult for the average knucklehead to steal a car. I'm ok with that.

Modern cars are more difficult to steal. If a pro wants your car, nothing will stop him. The new technology has made it much more difficult for the average knucklehead to steal a car. I'm ok with that.

Exactly. I don't want teenage kids taking my car for a joy ride or some random bozo with a screw driver using it for errands. The new safety systems have tremendously reduced random car thefts.

Targeted thefts will always occur and cannot be eliminated, but those are far fewer and usually targeted at high value/rare vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks. Oh, and anyone who complains about $200 to reprogram keys has never had the pleasure of tearing into a GM steering column when the ignition switch assembly has piled up, either.

Done it a few times, actually, and expect to do it again soon. Still beats a $200+ key!

I've done it on the most complex one: Cadillac's tilt-telescope column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back