Uplander/Montana: upgrade to power driver's seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a used Uplander or Montana SV6, 2007-2009. The problem is that I am quite tall, and the headroom is a big issue for me in most cars. In these particular models, I fit quite well only when there is a power seat installed.

It appears that most Uplanders/Montanas on the market have manual seat (so my choice is very limited). The question is: how complicated is it to install the power driver's seat on such vehicle? Would it have required wiring (i.e. connector under the seat)?

thanks in advance.

You might want to google "aftermarket seats" and see what's out there although "auto recycling center" inventory is worth a look. Typically the same harness is installed in all production, unused connectors cost less than having a bunch of harnesses for different trim levels.

Last edited:
The GM catalog shows different seat harnesses for power and non-power seat models.

At the least, you will need the track/motor assembly, which is called the adjuster, the switch, and the power seat wiring harness. A whole used seat with track and wiring harness in good shape is probably your best bet since the side cover and who knows what else will be different as well.

New GM parts...
89045444 - adjuster assy, driver, 6 way - list $523.70
88894979 - switch, driver, 6 way - list $219.83
89043113 - harness, driver, 6 way - list $143.86

This probably ISN'T plug and play. I bet the BCM will need a reflash afterwards.

Ideally, find the unicorn with factory power seats or consider other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The GM catalog shows different seat harnesses for power and non-power seat models.

At the least, you will need the track/motor assembly, which is called the adjuster, the switch, and the power seat wiring harness. A whole used seat with track and wiring harness in good shape is probably your best bet since the side cover and who knows what else will be different as well.

New GM parts...
89045444 - adjuster assy, driver, 6 way - list $523.70
88894979 - switch, driver, 6 way - list $219.83
89043113 - harness, driver, 6 way - list $143.86

This probably ISN'T plug and play. I bet the BCM will need a reflash afterwards.

The seat harness plugs into the vehicle harness. If you find a used seat, take the harness with it.

Traditionally if you found a GM seat you liked you could unbolt it and attach it to the track of the vehicle you had.

With all these fancy pants airbag sensors etc that's not something I'd be keen on. If side airbags are built into the seats or even the B-pillar I'd make sure "everything else" matched per a published interchange. Good luck!

thanks for your input gentlemen,
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

The seat harness plugs into the vehicle harness. If you find a used seat, take the harness with it.

Yes, I was thinking of finding the used seat with all needed stuff attached to it, hoping I can just bolt it to the floor and connect to the plug.

Looks like it might be not that simple...

AFAIK there are no side airbags on these models; I'm not 100% sure though.

update to the story:
ended up buying Ford Freestar. Driver's headroom is surprisingly decent.

offtopic, but: it was nearly impossible to find 7-9 years old Uplander/Montana in the good condition. I guess these vans weren't built to last.

Originally Posted By: akela
update to the story:
ended up buying Ford Freestar. Driver's headroom is surprisingly decent.

offtopic, but: it was nearly impossible to find 7-9 years old Uplander/Montana in the good condition. I guess these vans weren't built to last.

And the Freestar/Monterey weren't either

Being the spiritual successor to the Windstar

You maintain that transmission and power steering fluid, and you just might get away with your sanity intact

When the electrical problems start rolling in (and they will), I suggest you come to grips with this piece of software

http://forscan.org/home.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back