What Scotch do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorites are Laphroaig 18, Caol Ila (any year), and Bowmore 18. I was lucky to get Cadenhead's Caol Ila, Mackillop's Laphroaig and Caol Ila.

I have yet to find a Scotch I enjoy more than the Glenlivet Nadurra 16. I'm not what you'd call an experienced coinoisseur though.

They all seem like heartburn in a bottle to me. I'm not sure what it takes to develop a palate for it???

Once I was in Indiana and was able to sample some Indiana and Kentucky burbons Snd scotch type drinks, and I personally found the ones that had a bit of butter (scotch) flavor to them to be the best.

Laphroaig 18! Yes!

To me, it tastes like an old fire poker that was used to pry up the brine and seaweed soaked deck boards from an antique fishing boat.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Laphroaig 18! Yes!

To me, it tastes like an old fire poker that was used to pry up the brine and seaweed soaked deck boards from an antique fishing boat.

Is that your own description? Either way, it's stupendous!!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Laphroaig 18! Yes!

Is that your own description? Either way, it's stupendous!!

Yeah. Laphroaig has an ongoing social media campaign called Opinions Welcome where you share your thoughts on it. That was my contribution.

I like to make my friends try it. There's absolutely no middle ground. Love it or hate it.

A burning hospital
Smoked seagull armpit
Pencil eraser and gasoline

none of my scotches I have are teenagers:
GLenlivet 12 y/o (great beginner scotch)
Talisker 10 (good beginner peat)
Glenmorganie 10 (good all-rounder)

and... a Bulleit 10 y/o bourbon

ralfystuff youtube channel is a good channel to learn.

The Glencairn glasses are also inexpensive

I would like to get my friend a bottle of Lagavulin when he eventually gets married, but 1) they are in no real hurry, 2) having trouble finding it locally. (or a good listing of stores that carry it within a reasonable driving distance)...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
I have yet to find a Scotch I enjoy more than the Glenlivet Nadurra 16. I'm not what you'd call an experienced coinoisseur though.

I have to say that's a pretty nice drop. Between me and my old man we have a hundred or so bottles collected of various malts and every time I pass buy a duty free we manage to grab another bottle of that. Even my wife gets into the Nadurra and doesn't even want to mix it with Coke (unlike my 10yr Glenmorangie. She's Scottish and says as its her national drink she'll do what she pleases with it. I don't argue because she supports my habit).

My all time favourite off the shelf was a 1974 Glenmorangie, and when that became unobtainable the 1975 (I think I personally drunk most of the Dubai Duty Free allocation over 2 years). Unfortunately both long gone.

I prefer a light highland malt, but I appreciate a Laphroaig or Lagavulin also. Single cask and cask strength if I'm lucky enough. I personally pulled a 500ml sample from a hogshead at the Speyside distillery a couple of years ago. That was an awesome moment. The smell in the barrel house was indescribably awesome and the waft when the bung came out ....

Like cars, bikes and women, it's all a subjective taste and there is something for everybody. The best thing about Scotch is sharing it.

Have been given Chivas Regal, and Glennfiddich over the year, and have forced myself upon a time to try various scotchs (walker blue with FIL), and I really can't get over the scorced compost part of scotch drinking.

A rough bourbon is still tolerable, but scotch just doesn't work (for me)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Have been given Chivas Regal, and Glennfiddich over the year, and have forced myself upon a time to try various scotchs (walker blue with FIL), and I really can't get over the scorced compost part of scotch drinking.

A rough bourbon is still tolerable, but scotch just doesn't work (for me)

JW Blue does have that hint of peat, that you don't like. Definitely avoid JW Red. It's more pronounced.

JW Black, iirc, the most popular JW, should be peat free.

Not all Scotches have peat taste to it (when they burn it to dry the malt). It's definitely an acquired taste. Try the Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorganie 10. Definitely free of the peat.

I set a price limit of $45/bottle. It limits the field a lot and is why I consider American whiskey to be a better value. Here are my "bargain" scotches in a couple of categories.

Islay: Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg Ten.
Orkney: Highland Park 12
Speyside: Old Pultney 12 and Monkey Shoulder
Combo: Ardmore Traditional Cask

I had a couple of friends with a serious interest in Scotch over for a tasting panel. The Old Pulteney 12 was a top pick (against much more expensive stuff). As was the Glenrothes 1988.

Another friend with dozens of Scotches suggested Aberfeldy 12 as an "everyday Scotch". I like it a lot.

As for Bourbon, I like Gentleman Jack.

Nobody is mentioning Macallan 12 ! Got introduced to that by a past girlfriend, she's gone but still have the bottle. Does seem to taste great. Is this one not highly thought of in the Scotch connoisseur world?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Nobody is mentioning Macallan 12 ! Is this one not highly thought of in the Scotch connoisseur world?

Macallan 12 is indeed a highly rated Scotch. Was might be the better term.

It was my "if you had to pick one". It's no longer available (in Canada anyway); the age system been replaced by a colour system, as in Macallan Amber, Macallan Gold, etc.

Did you guys know that the scotch industry is permitted to use E150A (caramel color) in scotch? I guess it's because the most commonly used cooperage is used bourbon barrels from the U.S. and the majority of the wood coloring has already been pulled by the American whiskey.

If you hold up a glass of scotch and the color has sort of a "fluorescence" to it you are most likely looking at the color additive. Sherry cask aged scotches will look redder and that color will more likely be natural. This is why I like the scotches in dark green bottles. It prevents the bias due to color at the store and prevents the distilleries from adding as much, or any, E150A. Ardbeg Ten has a very light color, in fact, which tells me that they most likely don't add coloring.

I believe the whole practice may be geared toward Americans who tend to equate color with age and quality. You MAY be able to equate color with age for a bourbon (level of barrel char can do it as well), but not with scotch. With scotch the color means almost nothing.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Did you guys know that the scotch industry is permitted to use E150A (caramel color) in scotch? .....

Thats plenty motivation to run for POTUS, to get that law changed. No caramel color please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back