Shell V-power nitro plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the difference between this and the old formula v-power?

I only run v-power exclusively in my wife's Ford Escape 3.0L V6 and it has always been great fuel. Beside the factory fill, It has had nothing but v-power its whole life. I have always found it to be the best gas on the market.

Having said that, I have been through a few tanks of this new formula v-power and haven't been able to tell much of a difference in power, responsiveness, fuel economy or anything.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, just thinking that perhaps it's cleaning properties may just be better? Anyone have any input on this new fuel??

How do you know v power is the best if you haven't run anything else?

It's been widley proven that using premium in a vehicle that wasn't designed for it is a waste of $$$

I filled up with premium once and then felt like a fool.

Getting rid of this garbage ethanol blended fuel would be substantially more advantageous than using a higher octane, but thats a moot point.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I only run v-power exclusively in my wife's Ford Escape 3.0L V6

Isn't 87 octane recommended for this vehicle?

Ramble jam, yes 87 or that awful corn gas is what is "recommended" but that doesn't mean it can't run anything else. Using 93 instead of 87 won't hurt anything. No worries.

Jsfalls: It is not a waste of money in my mind. It is a Higher octane fuel that has improved fuel economy, burns more efficiently and as such helps keep fuel system cleaner.

None of which has anything to do with the question in my original post though.

All I have ever used on the Mustang and all but 1 tank in my 7 years of owning my Volvo S60R was V-Power. I have been very happy with it, plus the Shell stations here are conveniently located for my commute.

Originally Posted By: maximus
How do you know v power is the best if you haven't run anything else?

It's been widley proven that using premium in a vehicle that wasn't designed for it is a waste of $$$

I filled up with premium once and then felt like a fool.

Getting rid of this garbage ethanol blended fuel would be substantially more advantageous than using a higher octane, but thats a moot point.

V power nitro plus is premium which is NOT needed for his vehicle but it does contain many times more detergents then is specified by "top tier" requirements, so at least he is getting very good cleaning power. Unless his engine is DI he doesn't even need that level of detergent.

You can bet your next paycheck that this magic V-power has some corn juice in it.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Anyone know the difference between this and the old formula v-power?

Proprietary information. They're not going to tell you any more than the usual marketing fluff.

You can bet your next paycheck that this magic V-power has some corn juice in it.

Says right on our pumps up here in the GWN that it is Ethanol-free.

In Nebraska, any motor fuel containing ethanol must be clearly marked on the pump. There is nothing inherently wrong with ethanol used as an octane booster. I have used it for sixteen years in several different vehicles and never experienced a problem.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That's Regional.

In Ohio afaik all gas is labeled as up to 10% ethanol regardless of the amount in it. The only way to know is to test the gas. Often 93 has more ethanol than 87

-Obiviously the above doesnt apply to E85, diesel, marina gas, and recreational gas.

Last edited:
thanks for all the input. Looks like no one is really sure what the differences are. Whatever they are I'm sure it is just as good if not better than the old formula.

I tried the old formula V-power nitro for a while, I didn't feel any difference with other name brand premium grade. Lately I use only Costco gasoline, they are 1st tier and about 20-30 cents cheaper. The only problem is long line during the day, so I tried to fill up late evening for either no line or very short waiting time.

Originally Posted By: Rand

That's Regional.

In Ohio afaik all gas is labeled as up to 10% ethanol regardless of the amount in it. The only way to know is to test the gas. Often 93 has more ethanol than 87

-Obiviously the above doesnt apply to E85, diesel, marina gas, and recreational gas.

Correct, and we've discussed that before, that's why I qualified it with my location
smile.gif

I have always bought the least expensive gas I can find(thanks GasBuddy app!) from a high volume station. Never noticed a difference or had fuel problems.

Marketing is a powerful tool!

Around here Shell V power is about .20 cents more a gallon than what is the cheapest, Costco or Cumberland farms.

That's a significant amount of money over a 100k mile vehicle lifespan.

Last edited:

Same deal in this province.

jk_636: The scuttlebut in the industry is that there is an actual change to the gas, but the bigger tweaking was to the marketing, not the gasoline.

I don't see the cost as being a factor whatsoever. You get what you pay for! .20c more per gallon is only what, $2.50-5.00 extra depending on tank size? To me that is a better deal than buying bunker fuel that gets less fuel economy and a higher risk for fuel system problems in the future, just my 2cents.

Garak, I can see what your saying. A little tweak to the recipe and a more aggressive marketing campaign. It is effective though. Nitro plus definitely has a ring to it!!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have always bought the least expensive gas I can find(thanks GasBuddy app!) from a high volume station. Never noticed a difference or had fuel problems.

Marketing is a powerful tool!

Around here Shell V power is about .20 cents more a gallon than what is the cheapest, Costco or Cumberland farms.

That's a significant amount of money over a 100k mile vehicle lifespan

My E430 gas mileage is around 19 MPG mixed driving over its life of 170,000 miles. $0.20/gal difference is about $1,800, it isn't pocket changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back