2006 Chevrolet Silverado disk E-brake disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Silverado 1500HD 8-lug wheels

I am trying to remove the whole rear caliper assembly since the caliper bolts are stuck and are beginning to strip (Torx T55). I sprayed them with PB Blaster to no avail. They seem impossible to remove.

I asked a shop how much it would cost to do the brakes and they quoted me more than the cost of the caliper. So I want to replace the entire caliper unit without bothering to remove the bolts to access the pads.

I was able to remove the caliper assembly except there is a E-brake cable attachment and I don't see how to disconnect it. At this point the caliper is hanging loose with the exception of the E-brake. Is there a manual or a youtube video explaining how to disconnect it?

Last edited:
Caliper bolts can often have threadlocker .. some heat would fix that.

I was working on a ram 1500 and my trusty 300lb+ impact wouldn't do anything.. 5min carefully with a propane torch and off they went.

Last edited:
Is the e-brake assembly mounted on the side of the caliper, and then the cable attaches to that assembly? If so, if it's like some that I have worked on, then just take the cable off, because that e-brake assembly should come already mounted with a rebuilt or new caliper.

Last edited:
It looks exactly like this except mirror opposite, being the wheel on the other side. The only exception there is a E-brake cable coming in. How does it get disconnected?

I just want to replace the entire caliper without messing with the bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1
Is the e-brake assembly mounted on the side of the caliper, and then the cable attaches to that assembly? If so, if it's like some that I have worked on, then just take the cable off, because that e-brake assembly should come already mounted with a rebuilt or new caliper.

Can you be more specific? Where does the cable disconnect?

Can you post a pic of the cable where it attaches to the e-brake assembly. Not sure about yours since I have never worked on or had one of those trucks.

I always used a large pair of Channellocks, and give it a good pull on the end of the cable, and then wiggle it out of there. But yours might be totally different, so a pic would be of assistance.

i can attest these stuck bolts have threadlocker from the factory on them. as stated above . heat them . i ran into this issue on my 99 silverado

Makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking. Of course the E-brake is not connected to the caliper.

I solved the problem with the stuck bolts by removing and replacing the entire caliper. I just gave up on the bolts. A new caliper ran me 60 for a rebuild unit at AAP and way cheaper than having a "pro" look at it. I called several local auto repair places and they all quoted me $200 to do the rear disk brakes - with me providing the parts. At the end I would have ended up with old junk calipers with these impossible Torx bolts.

I think I am going to replace the other caliper as well. They are likely half-worn out anyway.

total cost to DIY rear brakes - $160 but I end up with new calipers. And the rebuilt calipers from AAP come with 18mm bolts, not the stupid T55 Torx pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back