Tire Press Monitoring sensor Re-Build at Disc Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know what Discount Tire does when they do a rebuild kit on your TPMS sensors? And/or is this typical if going to most tire dealers? All I could find out so far is that its "replace wearable components in the tpms sensors".
Is it worth $5 per tire?

It depends on the type of sensor but on many they are replacing the rubber seals and aluminum crush washers directly adjacent to the seals. They should also replace the valve in the stem.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
It depends on the type of sensor but on many they are replacing the rubber seals and aluminum crush washers directly adjacent to the seals. They should also replace the valve in the stem.

Roger that, they did replace the valve cores like normal when I had it done. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what all they did to the sensor body though. OK, what you say makes sense, as I guess the rubber seals can crack & leak air, so probably good to replace them. I kinda think I should have just saved the money for now though, just valve cores replaced. (I also got stupid and bought their refund-replacement warranty on each tire for $20 a tire. Bad decision on my part when I ordered them, guess just laziness at the tire counter.)

It's just the valve portion. Whats the labor charge? The sensors last about 5-7 years so you need to look at how old yours are and weigh the cost of new ones.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
A TPMS sensor was $190 installed in our Toyota Matrix.
I would say spending a few bucks to keep them water tight is a good investment.

Just one sensor for that amount? I noticed on-line the Matrix's sensor is $32 each, just for the part.
23993-05056115-1134555.jpg

I'll have to find out for sure what Discount Tire is doing (replacing). Valve cores are normal old-fashioned routine, and I think already included in installation costs, but tpms stuff hopefully is not just a scam-ish thing.

Hope this is what they did to me: (from tirerack.com) "Whenever aluminum TPMS sensors are removed from a wheel, the sensor should be fitted with a new rubber grommet (also called an o-ring or seal), aluminum retaining nut, special nickel-plated valve core and valve cap (shown left)."
TPMS_Replacement_Parts.jpg

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Hope this is what they did to me: (from tirerack.com) "Whenever aluminum TPMS sensors are removed from a wheel, the sensor should be fitted with a new rubber grommet (also called an o-ring or seal), aluminum retaining nut, special nickel-plated valve core and valve cap (shown left)."
TPMS_Replacement_Parts.jpg

That's what you got for $5 + labor...no sensor.

Or you can put a piece of black tape over the light on the dash. Does EVERYONE need a blinking light to remind them to check tire pressure? I don't.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
That's what you got for $5 + labor...no sensor.
Understood. They listed it as "rebuild kit" on the receipt, so I knew no sensor body. Probably a good thing I guess. Oh well, I went for all the premium up-charges this time, as i think the extra tire warranty thing was the stupid part, not the TPMS re-build.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Or you can put a piece of black tape over the light on the dash. Does EVERYONE need a blinking light to remind them to check tire pressure? I don't.

I like it cuz it alerts you of leaks sooner, and maybe reminds us to put the beer can down and check tire pressure once in a while, yes.

I didn't ask for the rebuild and one of my sensors ended up leaking at a pound every couple of days, enough to set off the warning light on the dash every couple of weeks, sooner if the temps dipped. Townfair Tire was nice enough to swap in a spare I had and align the TPMS to the system, but they could have charged me.

From now on, I'll pay to have more than just the valve replaced.

I do just that in the winter, since I don't have TPMS sensors in those wheels. They're only installed for a few months each year, so it's not worth buying a tool or paying to have them aligned each time I swap.

For my AS tires (the ones I have installed the other 9 months out of the year) I do like the TPMS. It alerted me (my wife, actually, since it was her DD then) to the leaky valve stem a few days after the tires were installed. Townfair Tire put the pressures right at the door placard, and I believe the sensor will set off the warning light just below 30 psig (maybe 26-28#, I don't recall.) Had she not received the warning I'm not sure how low the tire would depressurized before I checked again. 20#, 15#, after it blew out on my wife on the highway?

I check my pressures pretty frequently (compared to most drivers, but maybe not BITOG'ers) but even I'll skip a month or more of checks if the TPMS light hasn't come on.

Last edited:

Worthless advice unless you are checking the pressure before every trip which I highly doubt.

I like being able to push a button on my dash and see the pressure in each wheel. Why should I walk around and get dirty with a pressure gauge?

Hit something in the road and concerned you punctured a tire? Push the button and see if the tire is losing air without needing to stop.

TPMS was mandated by NHTSA in ’02 largely as a result of negligent Ford Explorer operators.
Killed one of America’s longest corporate relationships: that between Firestone and Ford.
Equalized Explorer tires also killed many of the aforementioned operators and their offspring along with hapless victims.

When costly lawsuits and their resultant settlements are awarded the suits and bookkeepers tend to take notice. Bureaucrats, too.

No ‘$5 per tire” maintenance on our TPMS but it’s curious to my OCD mind how pressures vary with ambient temperature, loading and speed conditions and fluctuations.
All without whipping out my trusty pressure gauges. I'm a luddite in many respects but TPMS has its place imho.

reference:
Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act

Recently had a flat replaced at BJs. They said they usually don't bother rebuilding the TPMS since "opening it up can issues." I don't know what that exactly means but he said they are careful when re-attaching the sensor on the rim as to avoid any damage.

It's been several hundred miles and the sensor seems fine; no dashboard lights or leakage from the tire. No complaints here
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
TPMS was mandated by NHTSA in ’02 largely as a result of negligent Ford Explorer operators.
Killed one of America’s longest corporate relationships: that between Firestone and Ford.
Equalized Explorer tires also killed many of the aforementioned operators and their offspring along with hapless victims.

I think TPMS was mandated some years after 2002. My 2004 Honda S2000 and 2006 Volvo V70 don;t have TPMS.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think TPMS was mandated some years after 2002. My 2004 Honda S2000 and 2006 Volvo V70 don;t have TPMS.

You're correct. TREAD act was passed in 2002. Its TPMS edict affects light motor vehicles sold after October 2007.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Recently had a flat replaced at BJs. They said they usually don't bother rebuilding the TPMS since "opening it up can issues." I don't know what that exactly means but he said they are careful when re-attaching the sensor on the rim as to avoid any damage.

It's been several hundred miles and the sensor seems fine; no dashboard lights or leakage from the tire. No complaints here
19.gif

The problem is, that too many times if you try and take apart a non leaking sensor, the nut is already corroded, and you will destroy the sensor trying to take it apart. If it is not leaking, it is better just to leave it alone.

Traction, ^^^ that was my thoughts, if it works, just leave it be. From now on, I'll do that. This time Discount Tire replaced some washers I guess. Depends on what kind of plastic or rubber is used for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back