Ford 4.2 V6 vs Ford 4.6 V8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I'm looking to buy a nice used truck. I would prefer a 4.6 v8 over a 4.2 v6 ,but I have a question?
If I installed a Jet performance chip in an f150 that has a 4.2 v6 will that really help me when it comes to towing performance? I know a 4.6 would do better,but I'm finding more base model f150's with the 4.2 v6 engine. This jet performance chip sell for $250 on summitracing.com

JET chips are kinda bottom-of-the-barrel. For a Ford you really want SCT.

Just remember that while a chip may give slight improvements, it STILL won't be a V8.

The 4.6 V8 is among the world's longest lasting engines. The v6, not so much. Neither engine will respond with much improvement to a tune or chip. They are well tuned. The later 5.4l engines with throttle by wire are the exception. On those, ford restricts throttle opening and there are significant midrange gains due to the aftermarket tune allowing full throttle when requested.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
when it comes to towing performance

I don't know your level of experience, but let me offer this advice: If you're towing with any regularity, go big. I like smaller engines (ease of maintenance, etc.), but they're just not very well suited for the job here...

4.2 will be miserable with any load.
4.6 is tolerable, but lacks the low RPM torque needed, and will shift/rev to the stratosphere on any grade.
5.4 is best of the bunch here. Considerably better than the other two, but even then, you only have 260hp.

THINK. There is only 400 CC's difference between the two engines. My brother has owned Ford trucks with the 4.2 V6, 302, 300, 4.6 V8 and his current truck has a 5.4 V8. The 4.6 V8 is a no go in my opinion. I'd get the V6 or step up to a 5.4.
Chips require you to run premium fuel for noticeable results. Engine tune remapping is waaaaay more effective on vehicles that are boosted.

I currently have a 1995 nissan reg cab hardbody, 4cyl,manual trans.
Will the f150 with the 4.2 v6 auto trans tow better than my nissan?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I currently have a 1995 nissan reg cab hardbody, 4cyl,manual trans.
Will the f150 with the 4.2 v6 auto trans tow better than my nissan?

Yes

Lawnguy -- Be descriptive here.

How are you actually using this truck?
Towing with regularity? Weight?
4x4, or 2-wheel?

The 4.6 has both can chains at the front of the engine. If the 4.2 is one of the designs that has one of the can chains attached at the back of one of the cams then stay away from it (I'm not saying this one does, but check on this).

I currently tow a 5x8 utility trailer along with a 1,100 lb zero turn mower, walk behind mower 75 lbs,weedater.stick edger,backpack blower. 4x2 ,and I tow everyday in a tight route.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Lawnguy -- Be descriptive here.

How are you actually using this truck?
Towing with regularity? Weight?
4x4, or 2-wheel?

I've been a fan of the 4.6 for many years. Had it in full size cars, mustangs and trucks. Used to tow a very heavy stump grinder on a double axle trailer with a 4.6L F150. Truck would go faster than the trailer would allow...

Go with the 4.6 over the 4.2, it will tow better and will outlive everything else on the truck if taken care of. Fuel usage would be about the same.

Both engines are good . If your towing several thousand pounds go with the v8 if your just hauling atuff in the bed or a light uhaul trailer or whatever get the 4.2 both are good engines. The 4.2 is easier to do major surgery to since its an ohv but the 4.6 isnt bad. And the 4.6 is a very good engine probably the best engine fords ever built. If your going to tow 2500 lbs or less both would be fine anymore than that get the v8 fuel mileage wont be a big difference between them either.

I know a guy with over 200K in his V6 F150 with 4.2,I personally would have no issue with owning an F150 with 4.2/manual combo_Of course I never tow anything of any size at all.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Of course I never tow anything of any size at all.

There's the rub.

When you start towing in regularity, things change dramatically -- even seemingly small trailers put significantly more stress/load on your tow vehicle.

My employer-supplied work truck is a Ford 2003 4.2/manual/4X4 that now has almost 200K trouble-free miles. It's been a great truck, but it's not something that you would want to tow a large load with, at least continually.
If you are looking at towing with your used (what year?) truck, I'd try to get the 4.6 engine and forget about the chip.

I currently tow a 5x8 utility trailer along with a 1,100 lb zero turn mower, walk behind mower 75 lbs,weedater.stick edger,backpack blower. 4x2 ,and I tow everyday in a tight route.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
My employer-supplied work truck is a Ford 2003 4.2/manual/4X4 that now has almost 200K trouble-free miles. It's been a great truck, but it's not something that you would want to tow a large load with, at least continually.
If you are looking at towing with your used (what year?) truck, I'd try to get the 4.6 engine and forget about the chip.

I won't own another man transmission. I'm tired of switching gears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back