engine oil leak='86 2,8 V6 Fiero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early on a Sunday AM I thought I'd throw this out here. I've had the car for about 25 years with very few issues other than normal PM. It's never been totally dry underneath, but about 10 years ago it started to puddle a bit more-THE LONGER IT SAT, THE BIGGER THE PUDDLE. It seems like that would indicate a drain plug situation, but isn't. I've slightly tightemed the pan bolts and looked around elsewhere and not seeing a source. Of course, not so easy the way the V6 is packaged in these cars. Anyway, it's almost as tho an oil overfil so the level is higher than the pan/block gasket that's leaking...but not the case. I haven't ever had a deal like this in a car before. Something unique to the GM V6 or Fieros-any ideas out there? thanks

On a 25+ year old engine, it's probably overdue for a set of valve cover gaskets?

Could be a million things

VC gaskets, PCV grommets, oil filter adapter

Start degreasing and looking for the source

I'd fix it before driving the car. Most every Fiero I spotted in the salvage yard was there because it caught fire.

The earliest 2.8 V6 S10s were well known for leaky rear main seals right on the showroom floor.Many engines had to be repaired before they could even be sold.

If the leaking oil is running down the front side of the engine just about in the center line of the engine, then the distributor oil ring is probably leaking, and these make a mess on 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 engines. Not sure if yours has the o-ring and gasket or just a gasket. I think it would have both.

Mine was leaking on my 3.1 that has ignition system without distributor, but the hole is still there for the distributor, and it will make an absolute mess. Make sure to get the upgraded viton o-ring from GM, and not the Fel-Pro black. Just go to GM, and buy the o-ring because it fits a lot of engines, and is a stocked part. Mine cost about $4.00.

If the front seal is leaking, the seal has probably hardened, and more than likely their is a groove cut in the harmonic balancer. If the balancer is still good shape--no rubber seperation or wobbling--then just get a front seal and sleeve kit, and that will fix the grooved balancer.

The oil sender can make make a mess too, and that's a cheap easy fix with a new sender.

After a good cleaning, you may have to use dye in the oil to locate the leak.

Last edited:
As far as I know, it was 4cy fiero that burned.

They only held 4 quarts of oil. So when it got too low, they tended to throw a rod and pour what was left of the oil on the catalytic converter, starting an impressive fire.

Later all of them had cover over the cat.

Rod

Yes-the cat was under the 4 cyl=lots of problems with the (mostly) gals that bought those and didn't check the oil. I already did the distributor o-ring years ago and the valve covers/PCV are fine...but the oil filter mount o-ring rings a bell as we had that problem on the 4.0 in wife's Jeep. The fact that it continues to drip for days/weeks/months after parked makes that sound very likely to me as the full oil galleys above would provide a substantial source. Now, if I can just get my creaky self in the ugly positions needed under there-thanks!

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Good time to install that new Chevy V8 with kit in that sled.

The 3800 Series II with supercharger would be my pick.

I had an '85 Fiero SE with the 2.8V6 and WS6. Bought new (ordered it)and it was one of the 1st V6's the dealer saw. It was a sleeper because it wasn't a GT with the ground effects. That little car dusted many an Iroc-Z in it's day lol. The only thing I hated was having to remove metal heat shield to replace the oil filter. That car ran w/o issues for years and I sold it regretfully.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I had an '85 Fiero SE with the 2.8V6 and WS6. Bought new (ordered it)and it was one of the 1st V6's the dealer saw. It was a sleeper because it wasn't a GT with the ground effects. That little car dusted many an Iroc-Z in it's day lol. The only thing I hated was having to remove metal heat shield to replace the oil filter. That car ran w/o issues for years and I sold it regretfully.

Amazing how much our standards have changed. The 2.8L put down a thundering 140hp in 1985!

Originally Posted By: ksp7498

Amazing how much our standards have changed. The 2.8L put down a thundering 140hp in 1985!

It's all relative when 4 cylinders of that era were in the 80's to high 90's for horsepower and small V8's were pushing maybe 180 horsepower. You had a rocket back then if you were pushing over 200 horses.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: ksp7498

It's all relative when 4 cylinders of that era were in the 80's to high 90's for horsepower and small V8's were pushing maybe 180 horsepower. You had a rocket back then if you were pushing over 200 horses.

The Buick Grand National was a monster for having a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds back then. It was faster in the car and driver test than the Ferrari and Porsche they put it against. My Monte Carlo SS has the "High Output" engine and it makes a whopping 180hp at the rear wheel.

Update-I bought some leak detector and a cheap Rayovac blacklight on Amazon and it's clear that I have a rear main seal leak. Before, without this 'tool' all I could see was an oil film kinda 'all over' with the highway travel and airflow. I used 1/2 oz of the 1 oz bottle and after a 10 mile run, it was easy to see before it had spread further. Not going to tear into it for a fix unless it gets much worse.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Update-I bought some leak detector and a cheap Rayovac blacklight on Amazon and it's clear that I have a rear main seal leak. Before, without this 'tool' all I could see was an oil film kinda 'all over' with the highway travel and airflow. I used 1/2 oz of the 1 oz bottle and after a 10 mile run, it was easy to see before it had spread further. Not going to tear into it for a fix unless it gets much worse.

Toss some Maxlife in it and see if that helps. I had a few weeps on my 86 Monte SS and the Maxlife fixed them. Just depends on how roached the seal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back