Why don't transmissions get sludge and varnish ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see these transmissions during the "tear down" phase on YouTube and they're always very clean inside - even though the fluid is no longer red and has turned brown.

They're not exposed to combustion gasses like engine oil is, and transmission fluid has extremely high levels of detergent in it

Why would atf have high levels of detergents since it has no combustion to deal with?

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
They're not exposed to combustion gasses like engine oil is, and transmission fluid has extremely high levels of detergent in it

Right on one count, wrong on the next.

Don't the transmission pans have a "an okay with thumb and indexfinger" size magnet in the bottom? I thought that gathers up all the metal wear and tear from the fluid.

Originally Posted By: wmj259
Don't the transmission pans have a "an okay with thumb and indexfinger" size magnet in the bottom? I thought that gathers up all the metal wear and tear from the fluid.

Yes the magnet will catch ferrous metal wear such as iron but there's still aluminum and other non ferrous metals as well as clutch material floating around which gets abrasive over time and needs drained out. A spin on filter adapter will remove lots of this as well as a Magnefine

Seals are what bring most transmissions to their knee's....All the gaskets and o-rings fail due to oxidation of the fluid. This is why changing the fluid at the first 10K then every 50K after that assuming you do not have a built in drain plug is a must. If you have a built in drain plug from the OEM I like to drain and refill every 12K.

The second cause of transmission failure is tq converter issues.

It goes with out saying that heat is the enemy of an automatic.

No magic in ATF!

To answer the original question it is because of no combustion byproducts.

Last edited:
"All the gaskets and o-rings fail due to oxidation of the fluid."

Any proof of this statement? Not saying it's true or not, just wondering if there is a study on this.

Old mechanics (like me) used to put a quart of type A automatic transmission fluid in with the engine oil. It would quiet down hydraulic lifters, pront.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Old mechanics (like me) used to put a quart of type A automatic transmission fluid in with the engine oil. It would quiet down hydraulic lifters, pront.

That's because it had some naphthenic base oils in it, not because of any high level of detergency.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: redbone3

That's because it had some naphthenic base oils in it, not because of any high level of detergency.

How would napthenic quiet lifters?

Originally Posted By: JFK
Seals are what bring most transmissions to their knee's....All the gaskets and o-rings fail due to oxidation of the fluid. This is why changing the fluid at the first 10K then every 50K after that assuming you do not have a built in drain plug is a must. If you have a built in drain plug from the OEM I like to drain and refill every 12K.

Sounds like we can just drop in some transmission seal conditioner like http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-88861314-Automatic-Transmission-Conditioner/dp/B00BK7LSVM or the Lucas ones maybe. http://lucasoil.com/products/transmissio...uid-conditioner

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I see these transmissions during the "tear down" phase on YouTube and they're always very clean inside - even though the fluid is no longer red and has turned brown.

As others have indicated, ATF sees no combustion gases. Additionally, an AT is a pretty much a closed system.

Varnish and sludge can form in a poorly maintained tranny and in one in which fluid temperatures have become too high (insufficient cooling).

High temperatures cause fluid oxidation which degrade the seal conditioner and AW chemistry, leading to poor sealing.

Refreshing the fluid restores the necessary additive chemistry for longer seal life.

Last edited:
And yet BMW says you never have to change the transmission fluid. Seems extreme on their part. Every 100,000 miles or 6 years sounds more reasonable to me. I do think I'll put in a little seal conditioner now though. Never done it before, but who wants leaks or weak seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back