Nissan dealer can't even do a simple oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started an OC on my wife's M35 today and noticed immediately that when they did the last OC (only the 2nd of 17 changes done by other than me), Ocala Nissan in Ocala FL left off (discarded) 6 of the 18 machine screws that secure the lower engine splash shield.

These are a PITA but I always use a Dewalt cordless drill and a 10mm socket to zip them on and off. The grease monkey opted to leave off one third of them. So my treat for the day was spending an extra 45 minutes, a gallon of gas and $6 to go to Ace Hardware and buy new screws.

This is a perfect example of why I like DIY, even at age 64. If a Nissan dealer can't do a simple oil change correctly, what can they do right?

They can make the bill really fancy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Badumm tssss.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So my treat for the day was spending an extra 45 minutes, a gallon of gas and $6 to go to Ace Hardware and buy new screws.

There's no way in heck Ace Hardware would have the proper screws. They may thread in there, but they're not the OEM screws. The only place besides the dealer that will have those is NAPA.

Get some with torx heads, some phillips, some security-bit. That'll show 'em.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So my treat for the day was spending an extra 45 minutes, a gallon of gas and $6 to go to Ace Hardware and buy new screws.

There's no way in heck Ace Hardware would have the proper screws. They may thread in there, but they're not the OEM screws. The only place besides the dealer that will have those is NAPA.

You're wrong. Metric screws made by Hillman: M6 by 10 with attached washer. Maybe you should have changed my oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You're wrong. Metric screws made by Hillman: M6 by 10 with attached washer. Maybe you should have changed my oil.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
grin.gif

We have those at my work also NormanBuntz. Merkava doesn't realize hardware places like the one on my road have all kinds of fasteners

I agree. They are a PITA. But, this is something you would think a quickie lube would do, not a dealer. Even if the guy somehow lost the other screws, he should have access to more.

No excuse for this one.

The Ace hardware in Reno has about the best assortment of nuts and bolts in Reno. Especially longer than ordinary ones.

18 screws? How many different types of screw heads can you find? Put as many different types in there as you can and bring it back for the next OC. Just tell them that since they left most of them off last time you just used what you had to properly secure the splash shield.

I had the same thing happen at a nearby quickie lube.

I was under the weather and the wife's car needed a change.

They left half the bolts off the splash pan and used bulk oil instead of the Pennzoil she was upcharged for.

I took it back over there and they found the lost bolts and installed them.

Dumb [censored]....

you should have called the Service manager and told him/her the issue and that you would be by in a half hour to pick up your screws since they lost them.

If they care at all about a repeat customer base he/she will walk back to the parts counter and get you 6 new $0.30 screws.

Last edited:
These oil change monkeys need add'l training on how to deal with underbody skidplates. I find it not difficult to remove the underbody skidplate on a 04 BMW 325i since it has 1/4 turn captive screws in the skidplate. Worst one I've worked with is on a Lexus that is supposed to take 10 10mm bolts. Removed only 7 of them and had extras pulled from the junkyard so the pan stays extra secure.

Is removing a skidplate like rocket science to some people?

Last edited:
In my option Ocala Nissan sucks. Just sucks. I have a Nissan Maxima I acquired used. The previous owner purchased the car new at Ocala Nissan. She has ever single receipt from new and every single oil change and maint was done by Ocala Nissan. When I got the car...previous owner assumed room temperature....she had a heart attack.....died parked illegally....and my company impound towed the car. It was in showroom new condition. Just beautiful and no one claimed the car. It's my personal daily driver now. Anyways I find all the detailed maint receipts neatly organized in the glove box. She had paid them $4k for the 100,000 miles service which included a new timing chain, gears and water pump, all new plugs ect ect ect. Now the 3.5 Nissan V6 has a knowing timing gear issue. Nylon gears w metal chain. To change the gears and chain you have to pull the entire engine. So I'm driving and the car starts misfiring on one cylinder underload. My in-house service shop pulls all the plugs. The front bank bran new iridium plugs. Look new and the glove box receipt proves just replaced at good ole Ocala Nissan. The back (3) plugs....well you gotta pull the air and intake and [censored] to get to them. All 3 burned to a crip and original. The gap so far out of spec I can't believe the car ran. So Ocala Nissan charged this woman a HUGE ransom to work on her car and only changed 3 of the 6 plugs. Makes me wonder if they really pulled the motor and changed the timing belt and gears.....

I'm not surprised at all by these horror stories, the fact is that most shops whether dealer, chain, or even independent are of questionable integrity and competence. There may be a few good apples, but the barrel is overwhelmingly rotten, with most of the places being crooks and or incompetent scoundrels.

6mm diameter by 1.0mm thread pitch by 10mm long ?

And it's a flange head bolt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back