Is it ok to use a 7 1/4" blade in my 10" table saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be cutting alot of plywood in the next few days with my table saw. The blade is dull, but I already have a couple 7 1/4" circular saw blades. Would it be ok to use one of those in the 10" table saw? I don't see any reason why not...but I'd rather not find out a reason why not while cutting a sheet of plywood.
grin.gif

I'd be sure the diamond knockout is firm & can't fall out between the washers. High $ 7 1/4" will have more runout & cheaper carbide than cheap 10", cheap carbide gets soft from heat easier, runout makes noise & heat. Your saw, your job, your body pushing the ply thru, your decision. I'd stand to one side at first start-up. Good luck!

I would just buy a 10" decent plywood blade.... think percentage of blade tangent needed to cut through the wood (1/2"??).

You bought the table saw, equip it properly (sorry to sound so fatherly, but safety is #1)

Sure a 7 1/2" may fit, but 10" blades aren't really that expensive. With plywood it's the stupid glue that can play havoc with the overheated blade....a smaller blade will get hotter...I certianly wouldn't use a premium blade but there are better choices. (Think Home Depot/Lowe's)

I guess there a mess of reasons not to, and only one reason to....

I dont think its a good idea..
The 7 1/4 blade is not designed for the torque and RPM 's of a table saw. Because of the angle of hook on the carbide's, they may be prone to break off.
Although you may get it to fit on the arbour, it may bind and burn very easily.
Jean

Don't do it. If the blade will even mount, depending what the arbor size is, it will exceed the speed/duty rating of the 7 1/2" blade. If you smack a knot, epoxy void repair or even a piece of metal ( yes, I have found embedded metal in plywood) one of the teeth has a good bet on becoming airborn. I have seen what a carbide tip does to a rip saw operators face, flying off an industrial quality blade. It's pretty ugly. Just like a bullet.

Why would you take your safety to save a few bucks! Just go buy a 10 inch blade and be done with it! People have been killed using tablesaws. You don't want to become a statistic.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82600 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I guess I'll use my circular saw then. I've had a carbide tooth come off and hit me in the chest before...that was fun. (on an expensive 10" blade) These don't have carbide, however. I know exactly how dangerous a table saw is...I watched a guy cut off 2 fingers once.
shocked.gif
My grandpa cut off several fingers on both hands on more than one ocassion...
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back