M1 0w-40 in the SRT-8 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So..... I have a stash of M1 0w-40 that I had for the M5. I was thinking that when I get back (the car has around 1,000Km on it) I might dump the FF and put in M1 0w-40 with a FRAM Ultra. The car has lifetime PU 0w-40 w/MOPAR filter changes through the dealer, not sure on the interval yet, but IMHO, M1 0w-40 is a better oil.....

This WAS the factory fill and service fill until the relationship between Mobil/Chrysler soured due to the bankruptcy. However, I know it is now not "formally" approved. I'm concerned this could, in theory, affect my warranty.

Talk me out of it!
grin.gif

And.... GO!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So..... I have a stash of M1 0w-40 that I had for the M5. I was thinking that when I get back (the car has around 1,000Km on it) I might dump the FF and put in M1 0w-40 with a FRAM Ultra. The car has lifetime PU 0w-40 w/MOPAR filter changes through the dealer, not sure on the interval yet, but IMHO, M1 0w-40 is a better oil.....

This WAS the factory fill and service fill until the relationship between Mobil/Chrysler soured due to the bankruptcy. However, I know it is now not "formally" approved. I'm concerned this could, in theory, affect my warranty.

Talk me out of it!
grin.gif

And.... GO!

IMO you have already cited the only reason not to use the M1 = doesn't carry all required spec's/cert's. I personally wouldn't risk any warranty hassles myself. Just too expensive to fix modern vehicles over choice of oil. Unless it lists the required oil spec's( formal approval/certification not required but Mobil has to specifically state it meets/exceeds without any tricky marketing speak )I wouldn't use it even though I know it would be fine for your use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How often are the dealer changes? If they are too long maybe you can halfway oci with the Mobil 1

I don't know yet, I'm going to find out.

Free changes are pretty good as far as a deal goes, especially in Canada. But what is the interval that the dealer will change it at?

The thing Im personally not keen on is switching between oil types. I love the fact that if you use the dealer service, youll have a record for warranty.

So Id personally return the M1 for store credit and use PU all the time. If the dealer interval isnt often enough for you, Id do halfway oil changes (maybe do the filter, maybe not), and use it as an excuse to do UOA when youre in control and under your car...

I do the IT for the dealer, I can probably get the oil changed whenever I want quite frankly though I do admit to not liking losing that DIY aspect.

My "hang up" is that IMHO, M1 0w-40 is the better oil. It is PAO-based, has a lower NOACK....etc.

BTW, Mobil is honest on this:

Originally Posted By: Mobil
Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-12633. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1-210.

Originally Posted By: car51
Didn't you use M1 0w40 in the Expedition in your sig also with good results?! I'm done ;-)

No, it gets the AFE 0w-30, though it has had the 0w-40 in the past.

I don't think there will be any measurable difference between the SRT 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0W40... I'd get the free changes and provide my own Fram Ultra
smile.gif

Is M1 better, possibly. Is the provided stuff bad, absolutely not? 98% of something is better than 95%, but in reality there is no appreciable difference. If, and a BIG IF, the only thing that wears your car out is lubrication related engine components then your talking what, 350k miles vs 375k?

Point being, take the free changes and love the fact that NOBODY can deny any warranty work. Then when that's done with run whatever you want. No point in throwing away money for something that has the likelihood of being 99% irrelevant in your life.

Last edited:
I do the IT for the dealer, I can probably get the oil changed whenever I want quite frankly though I do admit to not liking losing that DIY aspect.

My "hang up" is that IMHO, M1 0w-40 is the better oil. It is PAO-based, has a lower NOACK....etc.

Ok, just use the M1 and 'maintain' the computer so it says PU

kiddin' of course.

Last edited:
BTW, Mobil is honest on this:

Originally Posted By: Mobil
Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-12633. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1-210.

That should be your answer right there if you have any warranty concerns.

I don't think there will be any measurable difference between the SRT 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0W40... I'd get the free changes...

Me too

Originally Posted By: wemay
I don't think there will be any measurable difference between the SRT 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0W40... I'd get the free changes...

Me too

But not provide the Fram Ultra?

That's your opinion, Id just be concerned if M1 doesnt meet the correct Chrysler spec during warranty at least... That their opinion may differ... and affect your claim.

Wonder if the old bring your own oil and have the dealer do the work approach would work, especially once out of warranty???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back