2015 Tunda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a new 2015 Tunda. Are there any special problems with the 4.6L engine, or 6speed auto transmission, or considerations I should worry about? How about the rest of the truck. Basically I will be using it for a light duty farm truck and it will have mostly highway mileage. I would like to keep the critter for 10 years without fooling with expensive repairs. Maintenance will be by the book. I have always had Toyota Tacomas in the past with v6 engines. No problems with them.

They're not as reliable as the Tacomas that will last until they get driven off a 500 foot cliff. They're at best on par with American manufacturers for trucks. Mostly highway should be easy on any vehicle though. I wouldn't doubt ANY truck that any truck could make 10 years if you maintain it right.

You are so close to the end of the model year . Wait for the end of the year discounts or a new model year truck.

It's built like a 3/4 ton, but it's rated like a half ton. The beefed up parts will cost more to replace, and the extra weight will be a penalty for economy. If I needed a 3/4 ton truck, I'd buy one. If I needed a half ton, I wouldn't buy a Tundra.

Is this the new truck from Tata Motors? The new 2015 Tata Tunda has a nice ring to it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: whip
It's built like a 3/4 ton, but it's rated like a half ton. The beefed up parts will cost more to replace, and the extra weight will be a penalty for economy. If I needed a 3/4 ton truck, I'd buy one. If I needed a half ton, I wouldn't buy a Tundra.
The beefed up parts will last longer.

@0 16 0r 17 Tundra may have a Cummins engine like the Nissan has. Although the aftertreatment is sca.ry

I have a 2014 with the 5.7L. Great truck so far. Here's my contribution. First off buy the 5.7 over the 4.6. More power and not much difference in fuel economy. Better resale too. Yea truck is built like a 3/4 ton. Do your self a favor and climb underneath all the brands of trucks. The tundra will surprise you here. More heavy duty and better fit and finish. Most new trucks I look at already have a lot of surface rust underneath. Purely cosmetic but still there. Not tundra. Heavier? No I doubt it. The main reason I bought it is because it is basically the same drivetrain and engine the have used since 2007. Funny some people view that as a negative but I look at it this way, it is a tried and true reliable platform that makes great power and still gets pretty decent MPG without any gimmicky engine features that so many vehicles have today. So far I like it and have yet to ask anyone I see about there tundra and hear anything negative.

I have a 2010 4.6. My thoughts:

Go 5.7. The 4.6 is ok but really does not do better on mpg based upon what I read about. My 4.6 might pull 22mpg in summer if I do lots of work; it is nothing to drop it to 16. I never drove the 5.7 but others say it is night and day.

That said, I find tip-in excessive on mine; forget about winter driving without snow tires. The primitive 4x4 system means you can only use 4wd when it is dicey; no proactively engaging it. THe driveline binding is right up there. No full time AWD option (center diff unlock). I found a FWD with all seasons is better than a Tundra with snows; the FWD has a clutch and can be properly feathered, and is very predictable, while the Tundra is stuck in RWD and tail happy.

Also, I find mine likes to downshift for hills. I guess that is ok--but it'd be nice if it didn't. I have the towing package, which comes with better rear gears; I cannot imagine a 4.6 with the regular 3.9:1. Sixth would not be usable. I find it likes to unlock the torque convertor long before downshifting, and it irks me to no end.

Historically the front diff likes to go; that might be fixed by now. Steering racks, cam tower (oil leaks), air injection pumps and possibly wheel bearings are other trouble spots. Low mpg is often reported. 8qt sump takes 0W20 (or whatever you want to dump in); to remove the oil filter you must remove the skidplate and then use a fancy oil filter socket.

Brake pads are easy to do, but so far I am finding short life on mine. I suspect rotors will be expensive. Have not pulled one yet to see how much of a job that is.

I find the steering is very light; it takes a fair amount of concentration to drive this thing. Either it wants to downshift, or wants to wander if you look away for a nanosecond. Let alone parking...

Payload used to be real low. The refresh upped those by shedding a couple pounds iirc, but the 4.6 oddly lost towing capacity. Which makes me think they were optimistic the first time.

After that there is the typical complaints: too tall, too big, too high off the ground, tires too big... the same complaints all other full sizes get.

Thanks all. It is a 4x2. I am getting a steep discount on it, end of model year specials etc. I live in So. Texas near the coast and it is as flat as you can get, so far as snow, ice etc. That is something we find in our freezers, not in nature. Seldom does it ever get down to freezing, and then only for a few hours. I think I will get the critter, it is a nice looking truck and if it holds up as good as the Tacomas I have had, I will be happy. I need a bigger bed than what the Tacoma has.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
Thanks all. It is a 4x2. I am getting a steep discount on it, end of model year specials etc. I live in So. Texas near the coast and it is as flat as you can get, so far as snow, ice etc. That is something we find in our freezers, not in nature. Seldom does it ever get down to freezing, and then only for a few hours. I think I will get the critter, it is a nice looking truck and if it holds up as good as the Tacomas I have had, I will be happy. I need a bigger bed than what the Tacoma has.

Had a 2WD Nissan Titan for 8 years now. Have not once wished I spent $10K+ more for 4WD. I take it on ski trips no problem. Mild mud and gravel driving - for anything more serious I have a dirt bike.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Have not once wished I spent $10K+ more for 4WD.

Before blurting out nonsensical numbers, spend a few minutes doing some research -- 4WD upcharge on your Titan was $2,850.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Have not once wished I spent $10K+ more for 4WD.

Before blurting out nonsensical numbers, spend a few minutes doing some research -- 4WD upcharge on your Titan was $2,850.

Don't forget the poorer fuel economy, extra maintenance on a transfer case and a differential, and albeit slight - additional tire wear. My deal was a loss leader xe crew cab for $20,000. Yes, floor models with 4WD were $10K more. Sure I could have ordered it custom from factory but I'm sure they wouldn't of priced it at $22850.

Don't forget the poorer fuel economy, extra maintenance on a transfer case and a differential, and albeit slight - additional tire wear. My deal was a loss leader xe crew cab for $20,000. Yes, floor models with 4WD were $10K more. Sure I could have ordered it custom from factory but I'm sure they wouldn't of priced it at $22850.

As I was typing the response to your absurd original post, I thought to myself that you'd pull a classic "moving the goalposts" response -- looks like I was right.

Frankly, if you wanted 4WD, you could have found one for a similar discount (we're talking about the Titan here). You didn't, and that's perfectly fine. Just don't justify it with dishonest numbers.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

As I was typing the response to your absurd original post, I thought to myself that you'd pull a classic "moving the goalposts" response -- looks like I was right.

Frankly, if you wanted 4WD, you could have found one for a similar discount (we're talking about the Titan here). You didn't, and that's perfectly fine. Just don't justify it with dishonest numbers.

I'll contact you next time I'm in the market for a $22,850 full size 4WD crew cab truck.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back