Odd battery brand...

I was helping my friend bleed the brakes on his Cherokee yesterday, and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the battery. It was called "The Usable"...no attempt was made to make it sound kick [censored] or really powerful, it was just usable. The battery was very plain with a basic black housing and a black and white label. He said he gets them for $15 or so new from his dad who rebuilds wrecked cars. This has to be the worst brand name I have ever seen for something, but the Jeep always cranks over, so I guess they work. I don't know how often he replaces them.

That is a pretty funny brand. A few I seen in the past that cracked me up were: "Economy", "Used Battery", and "Tough One." I think the Tough One was from Advance auto parts.

iirc that is the brand used by east penn/deka dealers on their used batteries.interstate uses econo power.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I was helping my friend bleed the brakes on his Cherokee yesterday, and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the battery. It was called "The Usable"...no attempt was made to make it sound kick [censored] or really powerful, it was just usable. The battery was very plain with a basic black housing and a black and white label. He said he gets them for $15 or so new from his dad who rebuilds wrecked cars. This has to be the worst brand name I have ever seen for something, but the Jeep always cranks over, so I guess they work. I don't know how often he replaces them.

I've seen one of those! Completely forgot about it until this thread!

This is an ancient thread, but thought I'd relay the story I got on "The Usable" brand batteries. They're the blemished, but usable, batteries made by East Penn (Deka). A local dealer in my area gets around $90 for a series 75 (typical GM) unblemished Deka battery, and $63 for The Usable.

I can live with a blemish for $27 off.

So ran across this thread and figured I'd post up that one of my project cars came with "The Usable" battery and someone in my build thread was laughing about it so I was looking around to see what the deal was..... Anyhow, seems to work fine, hold a charge, etc.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is a pretty funny brand. A few I seen in the past that cracked me up were: "Economy", "Used Battery", and "Tough One." I think the Tough One was from Advance auto parts.

Actually, Tough One was from Western Auto, the predecessor of AAP.
I owned one of those batteries.
It was a good battery for the money.
It was a relabeled AC/Delco

Maybe it's a remanufactured battery?

My Camry came with a remanufactured battery, it was a "BATTMAX"

This is decades old info, ( 70's-80's) but I used to occasionally buy batteries at the Deka plant retail outlet. The "blems" were fairly cheap, but a couple that I bought didn't last very long at all. Some got lucky, but the "blem" was often not just a cosmetic issue. Back then they had some sort of short warranty, but it wasn't very long. At that time they also sold "rebuilts". They were dirt cheap, maybe $10-$15. They may have had 30 day warranty. Favorites of the dirt lot used car dealers and the very broke. In those days they were the manufacturers of the Sears Diehard batteries. I priced them for the same battery at the plant and they were always higher than the same thing at Sears. Not on sale. The Deka made Diehards were a good battery when Sears only sold one quality level as a Diehard tradename.

Back