how do you best protect a car finish from UV rays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am relatively new to this particular forum. I apologize if this has already been covered, but my question is what product and/or type of product is best for protecting against the harsh UV rays of the sun? I am trying to protect the finish of two late model automobiles which don't sit out in the sun a lot but one of them may have before I got it. One is a 2014 Kia and the other a 2012 Cadillac. Finish on both cars is in pretty good shape. Also, should I primarily be concerned about the sun's UV rays or are other contaminants actually more damaging? Live in St. Louis area which sees 4 seasons but none especially harsh. Thanks. I have been using Liquid Glass because my body shop recommended that. Just took a look at the can and it says nothing about UV protection, so it makes me wonder if it's doing anything in that regard.

Based upon many recommendations here on the site, for it's protection and longevity, I now use this for my cars that sit out in the sun. Goes on and comes off easy. 100% synthetic.

Finish Kare 1000P

Last edited:
Here is a product description:

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax breaks the mold when it comes to traditional paste waxes. This 100% synthetic formula was developed from a West German process called synthesis, which created a blend of advanced pure synthetic materials. The result is a paste wax that can withstand temperatures above 250 degrees, has extreme hardness, extreme slickness, is detergent resistant, and has amazing durability. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax has a unique look that many have described as an “extra layer of clear-coat”. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax delivers heavy duty resistance to UV, hard water, acid rain, bug remains, tree spa, and other contaminates while giving your vehicle a beautiful shine with outstanding durability.

Last edited:
The best product is a covered garage.
laugh.gif

I switched to Finish Kare 1000 for my vehicles stored outside here in FL under some nasty UV rays! So far so good!!

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
The best product is a covered garage.
laugh.gif

This is very, very true! There is no magical protectant to put on paint to prevent sun damage. UV does quickly break molecular bonds specially ones dealing with color. But even if you remove the UV, the sun will still bake the paint/clear coat and metal with intrared heat.

It's not a the end of the world though, you still can keep your paint that lives in the sun healthly by simply waxing it. Wax, on top of the protectant does put some of the oils back. If you are really interested in a product that do specifically, they are called glazes. Meguiars #7 is specifically designed for reconditioning paint oils. Another great OTC product is Mother's Ultimate Step 2. There will be other internet order products, but I found no need to go beyond those two available OTC.

Do you best to park in the shade/structured parking and glaze/wax your paint and beyond that I doubt you can do better aside from carrying around a car cover in your trunk!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I park in the garage. and I don't really worry about a depreciating asset other than scheduled maintenance.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I park in the garage. and I don't really worry about a depreciating asset other than scheduled maintenance.

How nice for you, but the poster was asking about protecting his car when out in the open.
crazy.gif

So would this Finish Kare product people are talking about accomplish this in addition to the two products you mentioned? Also, do all of these products "breathe" and is that important? Whichever of these waxes that I end up using, can they be applied on top of a polish such as Liquid Glass? Is there any need with any of these 3 waxes to pre-clean the surface with anything (such as Liquid Glass pre-cleaner) or do they have a cleaner built-in?

You will get so many recommendations for paint care products that I will refrain from adding to the confusion, and instead say:

3M Crystalline UV-/Heat-Blocking Tint is absolutely AMAZING, it makes it possible to live with a black interior car in the summer time without hating life.

The brown buildup on your tires isn't dirt, but the old UV protectant "seeping" out. Mother's Tire Renew Back to Black tire cleaner is THE stuff to use to clean tires with, completely removing this buildup. Use your choice of protecting dressing.

Mothers has a Back to Black product for trim, a "deep clean" version (in a box with a stiff bristle brush) and it cleans trim to like new, then apply a UV protective coating.

Keeping it waxed will protect it. The UV will break down the wax instead of the paint (generally speaking).

You can do multiple layers, but it's not really needed, and even detailers argue over the effectiveness. You can do multiple steps prior to waxing to polish the paint as best as you can. Removing scratches, hazing and holograms and then adding wax makes the paint look that much better, but those don't protect the paint any. FK 1000p will work best if the paint is polished and cleaned before hand as it has no cleaning ability.

Collinite 870 Fleetwax. I have seriously seen this wax bring new looking finish to an oxidized paint job. It lasts longer than any wax I have used. I'ts marine grade, so it has to withstand a lot.

Thanks as always for the helpful replies. This is a wonderful forum for lots of helpful info on a wide range of topics.

Honestly, how would we ever know?

It's not like there is an FDA regulating SPF for car care products. There is advertising hype and the experience of users. The experience of users is going to be almost completely useless for many years at best, and heavily influenced by car color, climate and application rates.

Best bet is to get a product sold by a conscientious company with significant market share in the sun belt. That would lead me to 3M/Megs, or maybe Duragloss. On top of that, conscientiously use a spray wax with UV blocking pretentions. But who knows?

Best easily obtainable spray wax I have used is Eagle One Nanowax. They say it has some UV blocking capability.

But Duragloss is one of those sealants that is just so easy to use(up there with Megiuars ultimate) that I just stick with that as much as possible.

A conventionnal wax will not protect against UV. Chemically, it is not that easy to put a UV blocker into a clear wax but also the wax coat is much too thin. A wax WILL protect against the elements, however. The only waxes I know of that will work against UV are the coatings (e.g. Opti-coat) and the non-hazing sealants (meguiars paint protect or the protective coat from armour alll-I forgot the name).
Any wax is better than nothing and there have been good suggestions so far, just be advised that only a handful will protect against UV.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
So would this Finish Kare product people are talking about accomplish this in addition to the two products you mentioned? Also, do all of these products "breathe" and is that important? Whichever of these waxes that I end up using, can they be applied on top of a polish such as Liquid Glass? Is there any need with any of these 3 waxes to pre-clean the surface with anything (such as Liquid Glass pre-cleaner) or do they have a cleaner built-in?

They are both sealants in spite of words like "polish" or "wax". For maximum protection and durability they must be applied to perfectly clean/prepared paint. In other words NO. One sealant will simply not adhere/bond to the other.

NuFinish has UV protectant in it.

http://www.nufinish.com/products/car-polish

http://www.nufinish.com/faq/car-polish
Does Nu Finish provide UVA/UVB protection?
Nu Finish Car Polish does have UV protection. In fact, we originally tested our car polish on automobiles in Florida in order to expose them to the greatest punishment. Our results ultimately lead to the statement that our product is the once-a-year car polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back