Time for New Chain & Sprockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten almost 20,000 miles out of the factory chain and sprockets with attention to maintenance and sane riding. But now is the time I start envying shaft or belt bikes...
smirk.gif

I'm from the drag racing and dirt bikes side, always had good luck with high end EK chain. Sunstar and JT sprockets always worked well on my street bikes. Maybe OEM is the way to go ?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
$478 for OEM chain + sprocket kit. Seems high. OEM chain is a Regina.

Nothing special about the OEM chain and sprockers, other than the Ducati label on the box(es).

You might consider that now would be the time to think about any gearing changes you might like to try. Going up a couple or three teeth on the rear sprocket might have some advantages. Or not.

May I suggest sprocketcenter.com .. They have pretty fair prices.

On a side note, I clean my chain monthly and lube weekly and have about 27k miles on mine with a substantial amount of life left on it(530 chain). I also don't use wax lubes, and believe that it has increased the useful lifespan of my chains and sprockets substantially. Same goes for my mountain bike.

I don't use wax lubes either, I just use Dupont Multi Use Lubricant (blue can) often. It's thin, o-ring safe, and has teflon.

I've got a high horsepower streetbike, that I've run several different chains on. My previous favorite for durability, was the EK 530 ZZZ, but the chain I'm running now seems to be doing better than the EK. The chain I'm currently running is a DID 530 ZVM-X.

I'm also running Sunstar sprockets, again for durability. But I don't think they make sprockets for a Duck.

I believe your Duck also runs a 530 chain.

So if it were me, I'd go with AFAM steel sprockets and a DID 530 ZVM-X chain.

Thanks for the info, it is indeed a 530 chain and 15 tooth front sprocket, 40 tooth rear.

I'm a big fan of Motomummy for chains. Sprocket center carries chains in a range of quality, but Motomummy only carries good models. I'm also a fan of OEM quality sprockets like Sunstar.

Best looking and one of the best chains for that Duc is the 3D
https://www.motomummy.com/chains/ek-3d-chain/

Of course there are good choices for less money.

I've tried a lot of things to extend chain life--more careful chain alignment etc. I think I've had reasonable success (though it's hard to tell without careful side-by-side experiments). But the single best thing I've found to extend chain life? Ride my shaft-drive bike.

Chains are a pain... belts spell relief...

Hans Renold is credited with inventing roller chain in 1880 but
here we are 135 years later and our bikes are still laboring under a
steely... heavy... clunky... messy... chain...

gallery_3131_51_26197.jpg

Belts are great, if you can fit one that is sufficiently strong for the application, in the limited space available..

I can't complain about chains. I spend less than an hour changing the chain and sprockets about every 40k miles, and Triumph only charges about $200 for an OEM kit. I spray it with DuPont Chain Saver every 200-400 miles and wipe it off a few minutes later. I never clean the chain and rarely have to adjust it until it starys to wear out.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Chains are a pain... belts spell relief...

Hans Renold is credited with inventing roller chain in 1880 but
here we are 135 years later and our bikes are still laboring under a
steely... heavy... clunky... messy... chain...

gallery_3131_51_26197.jpg

Naah...my wife's big bike uses a bulletproof shaft drive.
smile.gif
(Her little 250cc Hyosung does have a chain.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back