would you buy a car with a Northstar engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
still looking for amother ride. i see quite a few Caddies for sale cheap. doing my research it seems the engine is problematic.

So are they really that bad?

We had a 94 DeVille. The thing was sitting at 24mpg average, driven to redline daily, we beat the living snot out of it. It saw pavement, sand, mud, heavy loads (was a construction worker at the time). Ran great until the tranny went belly up at around 280k, thought I think we did a fluid change in it only couple of times(once that I can remember). I'm sure that if you don't drive it like we did, it could last longer. A mechanic I know HATES the engine, but I can't remember why, I'm sure partly because it is pita transverse FWD V8.

They are a nightmare to change head gaskets on. Usually you strip out the threads and have to helicoil them. The starter is also UNDER the intake plenum if I recall. And they tend to have an oil seal that goes out that requires the whole engine be pulled to change if memory serves.

It is one of those cars you can pick up cheap with blown gaskets, and if you can do it yourself, you get a deal. Otherwise, if you have to have others work on them, best to steer clear.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
We had a 94 DeVille. The thing was sitting at 24mpg average, driven to redline daily, we beat the living snot out of it. It saw pavement, sand, mud, heavy loads (was a construction worker at the time). Ran great until the tranny went belly up at around 280k, thought I think we did a fluid change in it only couple of times(once that I can remember). I'm sure that if you don't drive it like we did, it could last longer. A mechanic I know HATES the engine, but I can't remember why, I'm sure partly because it is pita transverse FWD V8.

Wow, I would give anything to have a modern car have a transmission last that long.

From what I recall the Northstar was meant to be driven hard and did better when it was. When they were driven by grandma (gently, which they often were) they were problematic.

Quote:
Like other GM stuff= early problems. Later versions were much better.

The company let's the customer be the guinea pig...

You're supposed to drive the motor hard. So many Cadillac's are ruined because the older people who own them drag *** along the road and drive like a mile a day.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
You're supposed to drive the motor hard. So many Cadillac's are ruined because the older people who own them drag *** along the road and drive like a mile a day.
And that's why GM put those engines in a car they knew older folks would buy? I call Bullbleep.

Last edited:
No. Also on my recent horses poop list is anything with a vg33e in it. horrible to work on. people may disagree, but it is difficult to wrench on.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
And that's why GM put those engines in a car they knew older folks would buy? I call Bullbleep.

A few years ago I did read that driving the Northstar hard would be beneficial (rather than driving like a granny).

Are you saying that GM is above mistakes....I certainly don't think they are.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
No. Also on my recent horses poop list is anything with a vg33e in it. horrible to work on. people may disagree, but it is difficult to wrench on.

The plug by the fire wall can be a pain the first time you do plugs on one, but they aren't that bad. The good thing is they require very little wrenching.

I have a VG30E in my DD. Basically the same. 202k, and running very strong.
My dad has a VG33ER, and it's doing great with 261k.

OK back on topic.

Last edited:
There is a reason they are cheap to buy. Over engineered [censored]. Many engines built 50+ years before were better.

Last edited:
I bought an immaculate '99 DeVille a few years back for $600. I tried what was "supposed" to be the best additive to seal the head gasket leaks and it didn't last at all. The only way to properly fix the engine is to install head studs in the block. I know some fellows at a Chevy-Caddy dealership and tried to get them to do the job on the side. No one would touch it. I understand '04 and up the problem was resolved, but I wouldn't trust one. Too bad, when it runs right, it is a great engine.

I've owned two. Excellent engines if driven correctly. Yes, they were designed to a much higher specification than they were used. The sump holds 7.5 quarts and is deep enough to prevent oil starvation if cornered at 1g. The rings were lower tension rings that required exercise to remain "free". The water pump is on the front driver side of the engine, run off a small belt, and looks like a silly design. Until you change one -- it'll be nearly the easiest water pump you've ever changed. Same with the starter -- it's down in the Vee of the engine. Looks complex, right? The manifold is dry, and someone who has done it before can change a starter in 30 minutes, all without crawling under the car or jacking it up. But you hardly ever hear of a starter going out -- because it's in that Vee and protected from salt and other environmental elements.

Incorrect repairs are common on them, because so few understand them. In this very thread, someone mentioned Helicoils -- a Helicoil head bolt thread repair is a guaranteed failure. You need to use the correct Timesert product to repair any head bolt problems. I've owned two, a 1997 and a 2001, and neither had any head bolt problems. The '97 had about 160k miles when it was sold out of our family (the '01 about 90k).

I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if I were looking for that type of vehicle. You just have to know what you're getting into.

My father had one in his Caddie - a two door something - El Dorado?

Don't recall him having any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back