Everyone wants a fresh tire, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a new tire for a customers car to replace a damaged one. Hard to come by 225/35-19 BFG KDW bought from tirebuyer.com. 7 years old with a date code of 4208. Well, what do you do when you have to find a replacement for a one year older one, date 1907? I guess, sometimes you have to roll the dice. At least this one will hold air. Customer bought the tire, and it was probably to only one out there. 4 new ones would have been best, but he just dropped 2 grand on new wheels instead. I hate used tires!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
Just received a new tire for a customers car to replace a damaged one. Hard to come by 225/35-19 BFG KDW bought from tirebuyer.com. 7 years old with a date code of 4208. Well, what do you do when you have to find a replacement for a one year older one, date 1907? I guess, sometimes you have to roll the dice. At least this one will hold air. Customer bought the tire, and it was probably to only one out there. 4 new ones would have been best, but he just dropped 2 grand on new wheels instead. I hate used tires!!!

I'm surprised that you were willing to install a tire that old. Did you tell the customer that fact?

Last edited:
I'd say its ok.

Its newer than the other 3 tires, in better shape because good storage while new is definitely less aging than on the vehicle.

The replacement tire is better than the 3 current tires and the cheapo owner got what he wanted.

Those (the KDWs) are long discontinued, no??
21.gif

I have snow tires on the back of my car from 2006...brought them off craigslist 3 years ago(before I knew about old tires. These were brand new too, never used). They've still got plenty of tread, they're XL tires(bigger than the OE size, which are on the front of my car). I keep them on the back as beater tires. If one ever goes(this car always does city), I'll just go buy another pair that aren't as old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back