New SHELL Vpower With Nitro +

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying this fuel for shizzles and giggles to see if it lives up to the hype. The last few months I have been using ARCO fuel since it has been reformulated to be TOP TIER now and usually runs 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than SHELL, and 40-50 cents Cheaper than CHEVRON in my area, and that is Per Gallon price difference.

Thus far I have ran 4 tanks for a total of approximately 1200 miles with this SHELL NITRO+ Fuel. Here is what I have noticed.

Seems the car is peppier, and that is subjective, but the car does seem a little more responsive with throttle input, especially in 110F+ Heat.

Idle is smooth, but honestly on this VW I could never tell it was running no matter what fuel I used.

MPG's are unchanged. Over the past 1200 miles my records show nothing substantial to report about MPG's.

I realize this gas runs me about 2-3 Dollars more per fill up vs ARCO and was wondering if I just used the LUCAS upper cylinder/fuel treatment with the ARCO gas would basically equal the same as the SHELL with NITRO+? Would be cheaper in the long run. Or do you guys feel that this fuel is actually a formula worth paying extra cash for?

I am sure it will take thousands of miles to show the wear tests and such, and how it may or may not affect GDI engines. That is up for debate. There are claims made that it may help, how I am not sure, but I saw a video online with a SHELL Advisor saying they are doing tests to see how this new additive may affect GDI engines. Yeah yeah I know how the gas doesnt hit the valves and what not. haha.

Anyway, Thoughts on this fuel. Is it [censored]? Overpriced Hype? What does BITOG have to say about it?

Jeff

Stay away from Lucas products. There are better fuel system cleaners available.

Stick with ARCO gasoline.....IMO, your vehicle won't know the difference....but your wallet will.

No more MPG, seems to run the same. "Kinda' peppier. I would bet if you let a friend, wife or buddy go fill your car up without you knowing what kind of fuel was used, you couldn't tell any difference. Just my thoughts........

The important part is that you use a high detergent gasoline, which is usually called "top tier" which indicates it meets many manufacturers specifications for gasoline which helps prevent engine deposits. That being said PEA based detergents like
techron, and V power are really good at cleaning carbon deposits even on surfaces that are not wet directly by the fuel itself (atomized PEA will still clean surfaces) also a lesser known benefit of PEA detergents is that they do not leave behind their own residue on any surface either which can be a problem like carbon build up.

I bought some last weekend when up in Wisconsin. Not because it was V-Power Nitro, but because it was ethanol-free.

Later that weekend, refueled with some E0 Mobil Super+ to save myself 17 cents/gallon.

Didn't notice a difference between the two. Both were ethanol-free and top tier fuels from stations that appeared to have a good fuel turnover rate, and that's all I care about.

Yes, This SHELL Fuel is new to my area, I am sure it came out in larger cities first then out in dog patch where I live.

"Peppier" and all is subjective, but being an avid auto enthusiast and weekend Solo 2 racer, I am not saying "Peppier" like I am some idiot.

Peppier is subjective in any sense, but the throttle response is better with this fuel no doubt vs ARCO Top Tier Gas. Why that is? Is why I posted this to begin with.

Maybe some cars just like certain additives vs others. It does cost about 20 cents per gallon more, but will give it another month and see. 120F+ heat (where I live current temp) really saps a cars performance no matter what fuel you use.

Jeff

Last edited:
Judging by your name and your signature, you seem to have a penchant for F/I (specifically turbo) cars, if you have never done so (I am guessing you have, though), fill up with VP/Torco 100/104/110UL and set your AccessPort/APR Tuner/whatever to the appropriate fuel map tune, and enjoy a tremendous amount of power! Lol

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Judging by your name and your signature, you seem to have a penchant for F/I (specifically turbo) cars, if you have never done so (I am guessing you have, though), fill up with VP/Torco 100/104/110UL and set your AccessPort/APR Tuner/whatever to the appropriate fuel map tune, and enjoy a tremendous amount of power! Lol

You are very right. I do love FI cars. Well, as far as pump gas goes there is a Gas Station near that sells VP 100 at the pump, BUT its leaded gas. I guess the stock car guys use it still in their race cars and off road vehicles. I can buy it in 5 gallon drums in unleaded but not worth the money to me right now. On my Evo's I ran WMI or E85 but with this GTI? VW just has not proven to me to be reliable enough to try upping the boost or well anything at this point mechanically. The GTI is a fabulous car, just not a platform I would care to modify.

Thanks for your replies Gents and Ladies...Appreciate it.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back