04 VW Golf, ac stopped blowing cold air...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the ac stopped working in the car, only the 4th fan position blows air and the air is not cold. The AC button is also not lighting up when it is pushed in. Is there an easy to diagnose it? Thanks!

If the fan won't even blow on most settings, it would be my guess that you have an electrical problem. Perhaps the electrical has an issue so when you press the button it isn't even engaging the compressor?

VW electrical problems, gotta love 'em. It's probably time to start checking fuses, checking what's getting power, grounds, etc.

Is there a resistor that controls the fan? In my Truck, when the resistor failed it would only blow on high.

The two failures may not be related unless the "computer brain" disables the AC system power supply when there's a blower motor failure - in this case caused by a failed multitap resistor. This may not be a driveway fix.

Last edited:
DanG144's excellent thread on TDIClub would be my go-to for anything mk4 VW A/C related: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Fan only blowing on high (position 4) is a well known issue with the resistor pack blowing, but that is a separate issue from your A/C not working. Probably one or both fans are not running and/or the fan control module is bad.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
DanG144's excellent thread on TDIClub would be my go-to for anything mk4 VW A/C related: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Fan only blowing on high (position 4) is a well known issue with the resistor pack blowing, but that is a separate issue from your A/C not working. Probably one or both fans are not running and/or the fan control module is bad.

Carnack sees a rodent in the VW entrails.......

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

VW electrical problems, gotta love 'em. It's probably time to start checking fuses, checking what's getting power, grounds, etc.

The car IS over 10 years old now, and who knows how it was treated, could have been purchased used, ect.

The blower only operating on high definitely points to the blower resistor being failed. The A/C could be a simple as low on charge.

Check relay, it can be opened, and circuit board checked for bad solder at relays legs. Re-do the solder. Fixed many this way.

Also check fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back