MMO Added To Oil : Go up a Oil Grade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual
That would make an Anaconda Oil ...
laugh.gif

Good one sir.

Staying out this, just here to enjoy the entertainment value.

Carry On.

When I was still a noob; only half-noob now, I did a blend of Rotella T6 5w-40 in my older 92 Civic with a 3.5 Quart sump.

I blended 2 Quarts T6, 1 Quart leftover M1 AFE 0w-30 and a pint of MMO.

The blend turned out to be similar to a High Mileage oil for viscosity and my insols were the highest of any UOA I had on the engine.

Now, did it need cleaning?
21.gif

...but did it hurt anything? Nope.

All in all I'd probably just skip the MMO next time. There are more aggressive cleaners if wanting to add something just before an oil change. Most of the MMO probably flashes off early in use anyway. I think Berryman's Chemtool or SeaFoam to the crankcase for maybe a hundred miles then dropping or even an idle flush such as from Amsoil or Lubro Moly's Pro-Line Engine Flush is going to do essentially as good or better than adding MMO to a fresh fill because it simply flashes off quickly during a couple full-temp cycles. Y

So, this may clean through the PCV system as it flashes off but I doubt it's enough to shear the remaining oil down a grade. Just simply top off with an appropriate oil after or skip and do the other methods as described. A true piston soak or combustion chamber cleaner would work well for top-end cleaning.

Geeze , sounds like IS rounded up all the MMO lovers - none left ? My plan is to run a short OCI with a little over 1 qrt of MMO and and about 5.8 qrts. of Super Tech 10W30 conventional for 3,000 miles then drain . I want to do just one OCI like this just to remove a little bit more varnish and such that questionable oil change intervals from the past may have missed ... If nothing else - hey , I'm attracted to sticking forks in toasters - MMO has the same affect on me !

MMO works fine for it's intended purpose. I have been running consecutive OCI's at 20% as I grew weary of 45k of mostly oil alone "cleaning" and making very little visible progress. I had used an occasional pint of MMO near the end of an OCI but that was about it.

Keeping a clean engine clean and cleaning an already truly dirty one are completely different propositions that many of the bashers here miss.

Last oil change with MMO my filter jumped from 3-5 particles of visible carbon grit per pleat to about 25. It's working, slow and steady wins the race here.

The few UOA's posted here with MMO in the crank suggest it doesn't thin the oil near as much as you'd think, although going a little thicker with MMO still makes sense. There is very little to no "flash off" in my experience also.

I like MMO in the fuel... Berryman Chemtool in the crank for a 5-10 minute idle before an oil change if you want to help clean in there. Just wouldn't drive with it in the crankcase. The oil comes out dark and very smelly when you drain it hot after the idle. If nothing else, at least that makes it feel like you're accomplishing something.

I do the B12 flush starting on a cold engine so it doesn't flash off right away, idle 10 minutes let it soak an hour then another ten minute idle followed by a now hot drain.

Also a MMO in the gas guy and also use it in the crank a decent bit, it does work nice and easy. Going to examine the latest filter in the next few days to see if it is still cutting stuff loose. If that has slowed down I will probably just continue with it in the gas.

Was getting noticeable carbon flakes/grit in the filters last couple years with oil alone, an OCI with MMO generated 4 to 5 times the amount of carbon in the filter than with just oil alone.

I just tried Marvel Mystery oil in my oil for the first time. I have always added to the fuel. I ran a pint to 6 qts of 10w30 oil. My engine sounds smoother than ever. Seems to run smoother. My daughter is taking it on a long road trip this weekend, we will see if there is any oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I do the B12 flush starting on a cold engine so it doesn't flash off right away, idle 10 minutes let it soak an hour then another ten minute idle followed by a now hot drain.

Also a MMO in the gas guy and also use it in the crank a decent bit, it does work nice and easy. Going to examine the latest filter in the next few days to see if it is still cutting stuff loose. If that has slowed down I will probably just continue with it in the gas.

Was getting noticeable carbon flakes/grit in the filters last couple years with oil alone, an OCI with MMO generated 4 to 5 times the amount of carbon in the filter than with just oil alone.
Good Feed back KCjeep !

I have about 1.5k yet on this run of MMO and TDT, but I wont be able to add much about carbon in the filter since it was left on from the previous OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back