Is it covered under powertrain warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My grandmother has a 2012 Jeep Patriot, bought it new and is 3 1/2 years old with 50k miles. I drove it today and has a vibration at idle. Feels like a motor mount. Also has a weird sound up front that sounds like a wheel bearing. I didn't dig into it very deep. Will probably look closer at it this weend.

There's no bumper to bumper warranty left, only powertrain.

Are motor mounts and wheel bearings covered? I have no idea, and research online hasn't really helped.

Thanks.

http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2012/warranty_Caliber,%20Patriot,%20Compass.pdf

The first few pages of this document lists what is included in the powertrain.

Last edited:
GM's powertrain coverage is VERY comprehensive - it covers engine mounts and wheel bearings. Not sure about FCA.

I'm probably wrong about GM power-train coverage.

I think Nick should contact local dealer to find out if engine mounts and wheel bearings are covered under power-train warranty.

My understanding is that a power train warranty basically covers the internally lubricated parts of the engine and transmission and all other components fall under the shorter bumper to bumper coverage period.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Take it in for a vibration at idle

Mine turned out to be powertrain related on a 3.6 Pentastar

What was it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Take it in for a vibration at idle

Mine turned out to be powertrain related on a 3.6 Pentastar

What was it?

77k on a 2013 300, failed a leakdown test

Contrary to them saying they fixed it, the 3.6 Pentastar does kill cylinder heads

IMG_20150705_014905_zpstqvbic60.jpg

Last edited:
The most outrageous part of this thread is the $260 diagnostic fee listed on your receipt if they can't stick the bill to FCA.

Originally Posted By: B20z
The most outrageous part of this thread is the $260 diagnostic fee listed on your receipt if they can't stick the bill to FCA.

Makes total sense since the car was out of bumper to bumper warranty and was now only on powertrain coverage.

Nick, she doesn't have the warranty booklet that came with the Jeep? You can also see it online at Jeep.com for your specific make/model/year. I don't think wheel bearings are included in the P-train warranty for Jeep, but again, it totally depends on make/model/year.

In regards to the Pentastar cyl head posts. It's interesting most of the failed heads you read of are on the RWD version of the Pentastar and not on the FWD.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Makes total sense since the car was out of bumper to bumper warranty and was now only on powertrain coverage.

Yup makes total sense. We do it to customers that have aftermarket extended warranties. They are also made aware that anything not paid by their warranty, they will be responsible for and they will not get their car back until their warranty pays us in full.

Actually in 2010 GM eliminated a lot of items from their Powertrain Warranty in Canada and would probably also be the same in the USA such as:

-the entire pressurised fuel system ( in tank pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors,return line)
-throttle body assembly
-sealed wheel bearing assemblies or hub and bearing assemblies (axle shafts, seals and bearings that are part of complete axle housings are still covered)
-ECM,TCM and PCM modules and programming
-clutch and pressure plate for manual transmissions

The following were added as of 2010:

-engine oiling system including hoses, lines and cooler
-crankshaft pulley
-clutch master cylinder

Another cost cutting move by the new General.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Yup makes total sense. We do it to customers that have aftermarket extended warranties. They are also made aware that anything not paid by their warranty, they will be responsible for and they will not get their car back until their warranty pays us in full.

The issue isn't that the charge exists but the amount. $260 is obscene. Most "techs" can't/won't do anything besides plug in a code scanner, especially the techs that are going to do first round diagnostics on a drive up. Disgusting but please do go on about shop costs, dealers are people too, et al.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The issue isn't that the charge exists but the amount. $260 is obscene. Most "techs" can't/won't do anything besides plug in a code scanner, especially the techs that are going to do first round diagnostics on a drive up. Disgusting but please do go on about shop costs, dealers are people too, et al.

Well, since you're going on about the specific $260 charge, let's discuss that. Cylinder head failures are not diagnosed by code scanner, and the dealer and manufacturer (or warranty company) would not accept such a quickie diagnosis for such major warranty work anyway. The tech performed that much work and the dealer has every right to charge for that amount of work.

I own a few factory service manuals. There are hundreds of pages of diagnostic procedures in each, and most involve a significant amount of work and/or special equipment. None of that comes for free, unless you're still fully under warranty, and then the manufacturer pays for it... well, most of it, if the tech comes in at or under the ridiculous factory time allowance (unlikely).

Just 3 years ago, I was too busy at work and had an independent mechanic check out my poorly running old Taurus engine. The wet/dry test and diagnosis of a bad cylinder head was verified when I let him pull the head, bill, just over $300. So the dealer bill for this work is exactly in line with the prevailing reality.

I've done wet/dry compression tests and it takes time to pull the plugs and do the tests for each cylinder. With shop time at over $100/hour that's half the bill right there.

So I disagree that $260 is unreasonable for a bad cylinder head diagnosis. It's a lot of money, yes, one shouldn't have that problem on a vehicle that young, yes, but it's not an unreasonable charge for that amount of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back