Wiring Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it can be as high as 140-150F under the hood in summer with stop and go traffic, the 200F wire wrap is okay for several years.

I need some too, the wire warp in Volvo and MB are falling apart.

OK I got it on there. It's so close to the exhaust manifold that I didn't know if it would survive the heat. I wonder if they make a high temp conduit. By the way, the best way to get a square cut with this stuff is with a box cutter and a cutting board. If you use a sawing action with your box cutter, you'll get a square cut.

DSCN1965_zps0r2ecjae.jpg

OK thanks George. I didn't know if they made a high temp conduit but apparently they do.

If that cheap Harbor Freight conduit catches on fire I'll be in a pickle.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OK I got it on there. It's so close to the exhaust manifold that I didn't know if it would survive the heat. I wonder if they make a high temp conduit. By the way, the best way to get a square cut with this stuff is with a box cutter and a cutting board. If you use a sawing action with your box cutter, you'll get a square cut.

DSCN1965_zps0r2ecjae.jpg

Looks good.

The exhaust manifold can be higher than 200F but the surrounding may not higher than 150-160F.

Do you have a temperature gun to check how hot of various area under the hood ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Do you have a temperature gun to check how hot of various area under the hood ?

No I don't, but that thought definitely crossed my mind.

OK thanks George. I didn't know if they made a high temp conduit but apparently they do.

Also, ANY speed shop, or online/mail order speed/racing catalog company (Jeg's, Summit Racing, Pegasus, etc.) will have multiple manufacturer choices of this stuff, and in varying high temp ranges due to type of construction.

Get out your heat gun and have at a small piece, determine the failure mode- melt, burn or embrittlement, hope for the latter.

All you really need to verify is which burns first; the existing wire insulation or the new conduit.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Also, ANY speed shop, or online/mail order speed/racing catalog company (Jeg's, Summit Racing, Pegasus, etc.) will have multiple manufacturer choices of this stuff, and in varying high temp ranges due to type of construction.

Correct. If the stuff tried doesn't work, here's a specific example:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-204012/overview/
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back