is anyone on here a old tecumseh tech ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an old generator thats been in my family for many years. dad said "it never ran right" but upon various videos on youtube, it looks like the generator is a work horse thats nothing fancy...

i bought a carb rebuild kit for it and got it to idle. but when i plug a 3 hp cut off saw into it i get nothing, the tool runs very slowly and the gene doesnt rev up...

somewhere along the line, dad/grandpa added a stupid straight pipe system that goes into a screw on muffler... the [censored] thing is so loud and annoying.

first and foremost: any info on the exact model/type of engine you are working on?

2nd: you may have to get you hands on one of those hour meter w/ tacho to check and see if the engine is revving @ 3600rpm approx.? If not, you aren't gonna get 60Hz and your AC output will be lower than expected.

I realise that some genny runs on full rpm (3600rpm for the smaller older gen-head type) no matter what load it's seeing. Some may have an idle down function on it.

You'll have to investigate from there onwards.

Good luck.

Q.

cool!

i know the motor is the mh80(or hm80)

ill get the code off the cowling when i go to parents house

old generator with a old tecumseh is almost certain to be a 3600 rpm unit.they dont idle they run at 3600 all the time.fix the governor!

more like fix the idle... i have the carb set where it actually idles...

i didnt know they werent step down units

The rpms have to be fixed to produce anything close to 60Hz power somewhere close to 110-120 vac. They won't run at idle, ever, unless some gizmo is hooked in that knows you really don't need the power until you close the switch. I think the DC producing sets with the inverter can run @ idle until they are loaded, especially if they have a battery to 'buffer' the demand.
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back