Quoth the Raven Evermore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At sunrise a raven shows up and starts squawking till sunset. He sits on the roof, on a utility pole or in a tree. He's seriously getting on my nerves. While there are other ravens, they are only ocassionally noisy. But this guy is totally out of his mind and never shuts up. Any ideas? Killing him is not an option!

Get as close to it as you can and then clap your hands hard a couple of times. If you are lucky the bird will think someone is shooting at it and it will leave the area.

You think that's bad,
We had a neighbor that had a parrot that sang the tunes from Donkey Kong (an old video game) every day, very loud, for over 20 years.

In the summer it would start before 6am, and if it was warm she would put the cage outside.

We could not see the parrot, nor did we know about it, but I could sure hear it!

For a long time I thought it must be some demented kid playing old video games though an amplifier. until I made enquiries and found out about the Parrot.

Put one of those fake owls on your roof and hope he's been attacked by a real owl before.

Is the change to "evermore" intentional?

When I lived in this one apartment a couple of years ago I most days would be awoken by a raven or murder each morning, just before my alarm went off. I don't always set my alarm for the same time each morning, since my daily responsibilities and preparation time vary, but I swear the raven knew and timed his caws for 30 minutes before my alarm setting!

In my local area, the hawks are the wild first birds up in the morning with ravens and crows up next right before sunrise. The darn chickens of course beat them all waking up to crow right before first light. Use a pellet gun to fire pellets into the tree branches just around them. They will get the hint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

When I lived in this one apartment a couple of years ago I most days would be awoken by a raven or murder each morning, just before my alarm went off. I don't always set my alarm for the same time each morning, since my daily responsibilities and preparation time vary, but I swear the raven knew and timed his caws for 30 minutes before my alarm setting!

I am confident that if you consider my thread's title within the context of my post, you can figure out the answer to your question. As for your noisy ravens, did you find a solution other than moving?

It's almost 2.5 hours to sunrise, but I woke up believing I heard a faint kraa in the distance. That would be a new record. I could turn Tinker's backyard aviary into a wire-rigged trap. I have delicious popcorn and peanuts for raven bait. Maybe I can catch the raven and release him next time I go to the city? He'll like it there.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Negotiation time.
Maybe a community organizer can work it out.

Only if he speaks Bird.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

I am confident that if you consider my thread's title within the context of my post, you can figure out the answer to your question. As for your noisy ravens, did you find a solution other than moving?

You were overly confident. I'm still trying to figure it out!
happy2.gif

Yelling didn't work, so I moved.

You were overly confident. I'm still trying to figure it out!
happy2.gif

Yelling didn't work, so I moved.

Alright, when I decided to post about the noisy raven, Poe's The Raven came to mind. Changing the line Quoth the raven "Nevermore" to a more appropriate Quoth the raven evermore offered the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, I hope you see what I did there, by making the topic header recogizable and relevant. Sorry to learn your ravens won.

The chatty raven, I call him Ray, went for a 150 mile road trip yesterday. I hope he likes his new surroundings and won't fly back, unlike my wasps, which have returned and try once again to get into my walls.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^HOW did you catch him??

Yeah, that and was it a REALLY NOISY road trip?

I rigged Tinker and Blueberrie's backyard aviary as a trap. Meow Mix was the irresistible bait. Ravens love that stuff. "Ray" was suspiciously checking out the aviary and lying in wait for an hour on the roof of the garage, while I was hiding in my shed with a good view of the aviary and the surroundings. When Ray could no longer contain his appetite, he flew straight through the open aviary door and BOOM, I pulled the door shut with an attached string. The black menace was trapped. After a while, letting Ray settle down, armed with thick gloves and a heavy blanket, I entered the aviary and threw the blanket over Ray. This immobilized him good and I shoved him under much protest unceremoniously into Tinker's carry cage. Small for a raven, but jail is not supposed to be comfortable. My neighbor Joe was kind enough to take Ray and some provisions off my hands and gave him ride to his new nesting grounds. Good luck, Ray! Even if Ray was noisy, I doubt Joe heard much of it. Ray was riding in the bed of the truck. Had my plan failed, I would have gone grassy knoll on Ray. He is THAT annoying.

The chatty raven, I call him Ray, went for a 150 mile road trip yesterday. I hope he likes his new surroundings and won't fly back, unlike my wasps, which have returned and try once again to get into my walls.

He'll be back in a few days, but after his experience, he might avoid your yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back