Lane change warning system question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have this, if you change lanes to pass someone without using the turn signal does it "beep" at you the whole time you're in the other lane ? Does it know when you get back into the lane you left?? Thanks.

Hard to believe that a car would just keep beeping at you forever... But that would be kinda funny. I can imagine my father driving down the road in his new car cursing at it for miles and miles while it just beeps!

The alarms don't last very long, maybe 1-2 seconds. The suburban we rented a few months ago beeped and vibrated your seat for a second and a little light came on. Once you are in a lane however, it went back to sleep.

My MIL's 2015 Altima has this. It only beeps if you don't signal to change lanes. It thinks you are leaving the lane. However, once you are in the new lane, it quiets. If you signal, it doesn't sound an alert.

No, it doesn't keep beeping when you are in the new lane. It figures it out.

Can't speak for other implementations of this feature.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
For those of you who have this, if you change lanes to pass someone without using the turn signal does it "beep" at you the whole time you're in the other lane ? Does it know when you get back into the lane you left?? Thanks.

I think you're combining two separate systems. There is lane departure that uses a camera to see the painted lines on the road and will alert you if you're riding on one of the lines without your signal. This is usually alerted by vibrating the steering wheel or seat. As soon as you get off the line it stops.

Blind spot detection is typically a light in the side mirrors and an audible warning that operates by sonar. It will sound if you attempt to enter a lane when a car is present with the signal on.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I think you're combining two separate systems. There is lane departure that uses a camera to see the painted lines on the road and will alert you if you're riding on one of the lines without your signal. This is usually alerted by vibrating the steering wheel or seat. As soon as you get off the line it stops.

Blind spot detection is typically a light in the side mirrors and an audible warning that operates by sonar. It will sound if you attempt to enter a lane when a car is present with the signal on.

Our Subaru's Eyesight uses two cameras (stereoscopic) to monitor depth and location, and will provide lane departure, adaptive cruise, and pre-collision braking.

IIRC, the lane departure will beep at me not only when I start to cross the lane, but if I swerve suddenly. I've had it beep at me while driving along curvy roads, since I like to pretend I'm in a rally-cross (at sane speeds) and hug each line. It doesn't vibrate the seat or steering wheel, just beeps.

//

Do cars really employ sonar for location? I think it would make more sense to use radar. I could be wrong, but I believe sonar can be heard and radar is not audible. I can imagine some really old sailors losing it when another car drives by and goes active!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Do cars really employ sonar for location? I think it would make more sense to use radar. I could be wrong, but I believe sonar can be heard and radar is not audible. I can imagine some really old sailors losing it when another car drives by and goes active!

Most vehicles use radar for blind spot monitoring.

There are some lower cost implementations that utilize an ultrasonic sensor, much in the same manner that front and rear park assist operates, to monitor along the side of the vehicle. The principles behind ultrasonic sensors and sonar (and even radar to some extent) are similar, but in application they're considerably different. As their name implies, ultrasonic sensors operate at a frequency far beyond human hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back