Strange sediment deposit at bottom of oilcontainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

A few years ago I bought a 208 Liter barrel of 10W40 Mobil Delvac XHP engine oil. For easier handling I poured the oil into several transparent 25 Liter polyethylen containers with a hermetic screw cap. Yesterday, for the first time, I opened one of the sealed 25 liter containers because I needed oil for an oil change. What shocked me, however was, at the bottom of the container there was a brownish deposit with covered the bottom slightly. The deposit looks like very fine particles. It has to be some sort of sediment because the container walls are 100% clean. When I try to "rub the particles off" (I cannot reach them through the small cap opening with my fingers) by splashing a small amount of oil around at the bottom, the deposit will not dissolve and stays where it is.

Does anyone know what this is?

I can assure that the containers were 100% clean prior to filling them in the past.

Lucas

Last edited:
could be that some of the additive package has fallen out of suspension. if so, it is likely an anti-foaming agent - some blenders add a little of this during the blending process to keep the oil from foaming while being mixed. Anti-foam agents are not detrimental to crankcase oils, but if they fall out its not that big of a deal either.

I found some stuff like that in the bottom of a white rotella 15W40 jug once after I dumped it into my ATV. It wasn't gritty so I just ran it.

When we see it, do you think if we should shake it or use the oil without agitating the sediments?

Additive dropout as mentioned. Mix thoroughly and use. The main reason GM shops were instructed years ago to stop using bulk containers that kept oil for over a year. Ed

Last edited:
If you are going to use the whole 25L, I'd put about half the container into the engine and then vigorously shake the container till the residue is re-dissolved and put it in.
If you are going to use less than the whole container do the shaking when it is full.
Otherwise you will not be getting your money's worth out of this high additive oil.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Been disused ad-nausea use the archives.

If you're going to blow a guy off with a comment like that you can at least spell the past participle of a verb correctly.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Been disused ad-nausea use the archives.

If you're going to blow a guy off with a comment like that you can at least spell the past participle of a verb correctly.

Charlie

+1 You win the internet today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back