Fluid film may strip paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one side of the frame I used Boeshield on the coated (aka powder coat or whatever it is) on the other Side/aka driver's side, I used FF. where I basically spot treated certain spots of the frame, I then left alone....about a month later I wipe them down and am now no longer black paint, but now gunmetal.

So be careful.... I will probably relegate it to garden implements since it is claimed to be non-toxic.

Maybe just more coating flaked off? I doubt FF ate through any paint. Can you post some pictures?

Have you got any on your hands yet? It's just basically aerosol grease.

Anything can happen I'd suppose. But I've never had fluid film , Erich is just will grease from sheep, do anything bad. I will spray some on various painted surfaces around my garage (wheel barrow, bike, exit door) and report back.

yeah pictures would be good. Its a frame? Are you sure it was painted and not dipped in black wax that could be solvated? It seems to me that my S-10 frame is plain metal with a black wax on it.

Eureka states FF may soften some types of undercoating, but that it is harmless to paint. My experience has reflected this as I have used it on a couple vehicle underbodies without issue, and also use it to wipe down basically all the finished surfaces on my bike without problems. Not as great as a real wax for paint, but offers greater corrosion resistance if there is a break in the paint, or on chrome, etc.

I also use it on all types of nuts, bolts, studs, nooks, crannies, etc. Never seem it harm a painted surface
confused.gif

I've seen WD 40 dissolve undercoat, in fact I've used it to remove undercoat overspray.

Last edited:
If the paint was applied to a surface that had wax, oil, or dirt on it then the FF might lift the paint. On a properly prepared. primed and painted metal surface there is little to no chance of FF removing or damaging the paint.

Count me as another user of FF that has never had a problem of it removing paint. Before winter plow season, I spread it with a paint brush on the undercarrage, frame, bumpers, differentials, painted rims lower parts of doors, any chrome, etc on my plow trucks and have never had any paint come off. I also use plain wheel bearing grease in the same manner and that does not remove any paint either. Fluid Film is a good product.

xtell

If you fellas want pics I get post them on Garage Journal. I do not know howmto post here with my iPad.

It could be black wax or whatever GM uses on their truck frames from 12-13 years ago. I dont think I saw any areas where it flaked off or dissolved, so in over a decade and 160k+ miles the frame was pristine. A spray here and there with FF and a month later it just looked shinier-that is until I wiped it in and the coating disappeared.

You have been warned. If you have a GJ account, let me know and I will get the pics to ya or pm your telephone # and I will smart phone them to ya.

Ya you likely wiped the factory coating away, but remember if you leave it alone the fluid film is still protecting the metal and protecting it better than the factory coating. Yes it does need to be reapplied every so often, but if the factory coating was reapplied every so often that too would eliminate rusting.

But of course we don't do that, nor is it even suggested.

No, I just wanted to CSP the frame coating as we do with body panels' paint.

We used salt one evening back in 2011! That is the only time I can think of us having used salt to combat ice.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Count me as another user of FF that has never had a problem of it removing paint. Fluid Film is a good product.

xtell

Im not sure I would call it "good"......it is from south San Fran where some have been known to eat monkey brains for reasons only discussed in PMs.

Have been going over my plow trucks getting them ready for winter. On the back side of the plow blades where I have Fluid Film applied over paint, I wiped some of the Fluid Film off and the paint is unharmed (not bubbling, not soft, not peeling). On the frame and differentials where I brushed the fluid film on, the paint underneath is still there. Others may have different results but I'm not having problems with Fluid Film damaging paint.

I am here to tell you xtell, that I sprayed Fluid Film on a pretty much pristine frame underneath the driver's side bed on a 3/4 ton pick-up. I am not sure of its makeup...could be powdercoat, paint, other, or the aforementioned wax....but it sat for, I believe, weeks then I rubbed it with some sort of towel and the coating left and bare metal was underneath.

The rest of the frame that was left untouched, sprayed with Boeshield T-9, WD40, silicone spray, probably some kerosene, and maybe other chemicals and it was left looking great and factory.

Now, it could be the fact I just let it sit there for weeks and THEN worked it in, but nevertheless, my pristine frame is bare in some spots now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back