Thoughts on this safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What do you gents think of this safe?

Link

Gun safes are like women. Get what you like and can afford, and what makes you happy and meets your needs. No gun safe will appease the masses, just like no woman will appeal to all men.

What is your primary concern? Protection against theft, or fire, or both? I built a lockable cabinet in our master bedroom closet, and that's where I store our firearms. They're not protected from fire, but I'm more concerned about theft and keeping them away from the kids than I am about fire.

(Nobody take the bait!!)

I think it looks good for the money. Looks like an S&G lock which is what I have. No problems in over 7 years. I am gentle when pushing buttons as I am afraid to damage "button covers" although they still look new. I would recommend bolting it down and putting opening side of door against wall to make it harder to pry open.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What is your primary concern? Protection against theft, or fire, or both? I built a lockable cabinet in our master bedroom closet, and that's where I store our firearms. They're not protected from fire, but I'm more concerned about theft and keeping them away from the kids than I am about fire.

(Nobody take the bait!!)

Theft mainly, but fire protection is a plus.

Cabinets seem nice, but to me, they dont seem secure.

Avoid Sentinel gun safes at ALL COST. My father in law bought a slightly larger one very similar to that one at Wal-Mart for about $450.

It's not even a safe. It looks like a safe, but if you pull on the handle with about 20 pounds of force, it unlocks the safe. You don't even need to enter the code to open it, just yank semi hard on the handle and it opens. They are JUNK JUNK JUNK. Avoid!!

I'm afraid you are going to have to spend a bit more money if you want an actual gun safe.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'm afraid you are going to have to spend a bit more money if you want an actual gun safe.

That is what I am afraid of. It isnt like the weatherby like my dad has, but i do feel it is a step above a plain cabinet.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's not even a safe. It looks like a safe, but if you pull on the handle with about 20 pounds of force, it unlocks the safe. You don't even need to enter the code to open it, just yank semi hard on the handle and it opens. They are JUNK JUNK JUNK. Avoid!!

Was his defective, or do you know for certain they're all afflicted with this problem?

I say "cabinet", but it's not what you're probably visualizing when you think of a decorative cabinet or case. It's built with 2x4s and thick plywood with a padlock on a clasp. It's also bolted to the wall studs from the inside of the cabinet. You could, in theory, bring a reciprocating saw or a circular saw into the closet and cut the cabinet open, but it's not just to pop open. It looks more like a shipping crate than a decorative gun cabinet.

Something along these lines...just heavier:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gun-Cabinet/

Well any safe is better than nothing.I have a large heavy solid 3/4" wood cabinet,military from the nearby base. I put angle iron across the front with good padlocks, you wont get in unless you brought some big bolt cutters or die grinder.

When you get in you will find long guns and also a small safe jammed in a shelf and bolted with carriage bolts from the bottom. You can't get to the sides ,bottom or top with out destroying the wood cabinet and it is set in deep so you cant pry the door. The safe contains half my handguns, the other half are hidden deep in various spots around the house(unloaded and I have no children at my house even
visitors).
This makes it take a lot of time for theft and spreads out my odds of ever losing everything.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I say "cabinet", but it's not what you're probably visualizing when you think of a decorative cabinet or case. It's built with 2x4s and thick plywood with a padlock on a clasp. It's also bolted to the wall studs from the inside of the cabinet. You could, in theory, bring a reciprocating saw or a circular saw into the closet and cut the cabinet open, but it's not just to pop open. It looks more like a shipping crate than a decorative gun cabinet.

Something along these lines...just heavier:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gun-Cabinet/

Ah. I thought you were referring to a metal cabinet. Decorative cabinets dont interest me one bit.

Nothing is going to stop a determined thief with tools and time. I have seen pictures around the web of some decent quality safes cut open on the top or sides with battery powered die grinders. A lot of the safes you buy at the big box have pretty thin walls,no need to be able to get in the door.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Nothing is going to stop a determined thief with tools and time. I have seen pictures around the web of some decent quality safes cut open on the top or sides with battery powered die grinders. A lot of the safes you buy at the big box have pretty thin walls,no need to be able to get in the door.

That's right.

Portable safes (under 1 ton) that are bolted to concrete are useful for preventing petty pilferage and deterring first-time robberies. On the second try they will bring common power tools, cut through a side and take everything.

Don't take fireproofing too seriously. Fireproofing meets a standard to protect paper by lining with gypsum board. When overheated, the gypsum calcinates and gives off water. This keeps temperatures temporarily lower and bathes everything inside with steam. This is OK for legal documents and cash, but not so great for firearms.

This is a key safe. Not a true secure safe. Better off with the old tumbler system, very fool resistant and easy to fix, set to the code you want. The electronic lock adds nothing!!!!

Safe is too cheap given its size. Very likely flimsy junk. A good sturdy safe big enough for rifles is going to cost at least $1000.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: bradepb

That's right.

Portable safes (under 1 ton) that are bolted to concrete are useful for preventing petty pilferage and deterring first-time robberies. On the second try they will bring common power tools, cut through a side and take everything.

Don't take fireproofing too seriously. Fireproofing meets a standard to protect paper by lining with gypsum board. When overheated, the gypsum calcinates and gives off water. This keeps temperatures temporarily lower and bathes everything inside with steam. This is OK for legal documents and cash, but not so great for firearms.

+1. This is a residential security container, NOT a safe.

It will keep the honest people out and slow down the crooks. It is what it is. Just remember. It will not fit 14 guns unless they are all Daisy Red Riders. It will fit 7 or 8 full size guns depending on the size of optics installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back