Trufuel 40:1 Does It Burn The Same As Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an old chainsaw that I wanted to store with non ethanol fuel in it so I bought a can of Trufuel. The first thing that i noticed was that it was much harder to start and then when I got it started it idled rougher and at a lower RPM. When I adjusted the throttle screw it was not as sensitive as it was before. With the gas in it just a small turn of the screw made a big difference, I adjusted it to where the chain didn't move while idling. With the Trufuel in it the idle was too low and when I turned the screw not much changed, I turned it a full half turn and could barely get a rise in RPM at all. Does this stuff ignite/burn as easily as gasoline?

Trufuel is simply ethanol-free gas. Your 40:1 has a bit of 2T oil in it as well.

Perhaps your engine isn't tuned to burn ethanol-free fuel. Any changes in a small engine (whether it be fuel or air flow) will require a tune to achieve maximum performance.

E0 burns richer than E10
32/1 is leaner than 40/1 is leaner than 50/1
It gets complicated real fast when you change fuels. Trufuel is a good product, your tune is probably just off for that fuel.

Never have a problem with VPracing SEF also the only thing I run in my 2stroke engines.

I LOVE TruFuel in my equipment. It runs clean and strong. A couple things I'd think of on your engine.

1) How does the spark arrestor screen look on your engine? If its clogged it'll never run right on any fuel.

2) If you are like most people, you are running 87 octane ethanol fuel with 10% ethanol. TruFuel is 93 octane ethanol free. It could require a minor carb tune.

3) I'd run a full tank of TruFuel through it AT HIGH RPM and see if the performance settles down before I made any adjustments to the carb.

You should be able to fine E0 gas in upstate NY. Its at some Stewarts and one other small gas chains. Its cheaper than the premix. I do however run the premix in my 2 cycle some for the most part. But E0 in all 4 cycle OPE.

I am a little east of Albany and know of several places that carry it.

I think it's 92 octane not 93, spark arrestor is clean and I shook the can first. The fuel it had in it was 2yr. old 87 premix, I put an E3 spark plug in it and it started on the second pull, ran great. So I fixed something that wasn't broke, I figured that I should put EO gas in it to store it. Dumped the fuel out put the Trufuel in and tried to start it, took a long time to start, ran rough, smoked twice as much and couldn't raise the idle with the screw like I did before. If Trufuel is just EO gas then why doesn't it smell like gas, feels different too? It has a different smell when it burns too. If the saw calls for regular does it matter that it's 92? I thought higher octane gas has an additive to make it ignite slower, less BTUs than regular too. It went from EO to E10 without an adjustment so back to EO shouldn't be an issue. I'll put the premix back in and see if it changes back to how it ran before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
I think it's 92 octane not 93, spark arrestor is clean and I shook the can first. The fuel it had in it was 2yr. old 87 premix, I put an E3 spark plug in it and it started on the second pull, ran great. So I fixed something that wasn't broke, I figured that I should put EO gas in it to store it. Dumped the fuel out put the Trufuel in and tried to start it, took a long time to start, ran rough, smoked twice as much and couldn't raise the idle with the screw like I did before. If Trufuel is just EO gas then why doesn't it smell like gas, feels different too? It has a different smell when it burns too. If the saw calls for regular does it matter that it's 92? I thought higher octane gas has an additive to make it ignite slower, less BTUs than regular too. It went from EO to E10 without an adjustment so back to EO shouldn't be an issue. I'll put the premix back in and see if it changes back to how it ran before.

Funny (or not) when I went to contact Trufuel their phone is disconnected and the email came back as "unable to deliver message".

http://www.trufuel50.com/contact-us/

I've used overpriced canned fuels(usually bought on leftover/closeout/clearance/discount shelf). Never had a problem with trufuel, or any other brand.

Your chainsaw might need a tuneup, standard sparkplug, air filter, or just a good carb cleaning.

For storage, just add in Stabil Marine or Stabil 360, even when using E10.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
http://www.trufuel50.com/contact-us/

I've used overpriced canned fuels(usually bought on leftover/closeout/clearance/discount shelf). Never had a problem with trufuel, or any other brand.

Your chainsaw might need a tuneup, standard sparkplug, air filter, or just a good carb cleaning.

For storage, just add in Stabil Marine or Stabil 360, even when using E10.

Try using that contact info...

Never liked running it dry and then leaving it that way for a long time. I like to start my machines every so often...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back