Ethanol in 93 Octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by two people yesterday during a discussion that since 93 Octane fuel sales are not near the volume of the lower octanes, there is no ethanol in it since it sits in the underground storage tanks longer.

Any truth to this?

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby
Any truth to this?

Not to my knowledge.

Around here, you'll typically see a sticker on most pumps saying "All grades contain up to 10% ethanol."

I was told by two people yesterday during a discussion that since 93 Octane fuel sales are not near the volume of the lower octanes, there is no ethanol in it since it sits in the underground storage tanks longer.

Any truth to this?

Once again, and for about the 1,000,000th time the rules are state-specific and often depend on the county in the state. It doesn't have anything to do with how long gasoline sits in a tank.

If there are no rules, or the rules are flexible then it depends on the particular gas station or chain.

Easy way to check. Take a sam-ple in a jerry jug ( for your mower or whatever) Mark the level, Pour ~a pint in a glass ball jar or equivalent (unless you have a 500ml pyrex grad cyl!)

add 1 oz water, shake a bit, let stand still 1/2 hour nearly closed (not in direct sun, do this outside away from inflammables) then look and you will see the gas floating on top of the water, this new gas level between the water and the meniscus will be the volume of petrofuel MINUS the Ethanol.
This is easier to judge using a grad cyl. You can syphon off the water ethanol mixture from the bottom and be left with non-oxygenated fuel to use in the push mower or string trimmer:) Mowers don't need high octane with 7:1 comp
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I think this is true in Canada, but certainly not in the US.

What - Ethanol in 93 Octane gas or 93 Octane is slow selling?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I think this is true in Canada, but certainly not in the US.

I think some parts of Canada have ethanol-free premium, but the 94 octane Petro Canada gas I bought near Montreal did have ethanol.
I found that I can buy 5 gallon cans of pure high octane gas intended for small engines locally...for only $20/gallon! Thought I would try it just for fun until I saw the price.

There are a lot of lakes in the county I live. Several gas stations sell "Recreational/Boat Gas". It's almost always 90-92 octane and ethanol free. Usually sells for $4-5/gallon.

Any truth to this?

The sales volume is lower, but it probably has ethanol or methanol. Ethanol is one of the best octane boosters out there, so premium fuels likely have it unless they specifically say "ethanol free" in which case they have either methanol or something much nastier.

As has been stated, it is entirely dependent on the regulations where you live.

Here, premium gas is sold both as 10% ethanol and without. Pumps without are labeled accordingly, and are supposed to only be used in recreational vehicles, OPE, and collector cars, but it isn't enforced.

On top of that, most places here aren't 93 octane anymore - typically 91 or 92.

I suspect that unless the premium gasoline claims to be ethanol free, it is likely to have as much or more ethanol than their regular unleaded because ethanol increases the octane as 440Magnum wrote.

The big twin biker gorillas use this stuff, and given most Hardley engines are carbed, If Shell doent want to keep buying burned out bike engine they better NOT put over 5% E in the gas-o-hol. Like I said, you can check 4 yourself; water will pull the alcohol out out any gas you buy and you just drain off the water (vodka for robots) on the bottom until fuel starts running. Simple chemistry 101 guys.

OK, Homework.
Now, everyone go check their local FAV hi-perf gas station and report back ... instead of BENCH WHINING here all day with no results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
OK, Homework.
Now, everyone go check their local FAV hi-perf gas station and report back ... instead of BENCH WHINING here all day with no results.

Never could resist a challenge (I only got a C in chemistry but I did get the cute lady two tables up from me). Locally we pay about a $.40 premium for non ethanol fuel in all grades. It's not really economic even considers ng supposed mpg improvements. I feel sorry fot the Canadians, what prices!

Any truth to this?

In a few stations the high test is now E0. But when you say sits in the tank longer, that could be 5 days rather than 2 days. Or 2 days rather than 1 day.

If there is more water vapor dissolved in the high test gas, they are charging for water vapor along with the gas.

E10 means UP TO 10%. I think its normally less.

Any truth to this?
Must be true, TWO people said it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The big twin biker gorillas use this stuff, and given most Hardley engines are carbed, If Shell doent want to keep buying burned out bike engine they better NOT put over 5% E in the gas-o-hol.

Almost all gasoline in Maryland is E10, not E5, including all the various grades of Premium 90, 91, 92 octane. Only a few Marina, E-Free, and Aviation gas stations sell other than E10 in any grade.

While I'm not a lover of Ethanol gasoline, I've yet to hear a biker complain about a burned out bike engine due to E10 Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back