Lucas Motorcycle Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

I've read the comments about Lucas Oil Stabilizer, in general they're none too flattering.

I just noticed a product at O'Reilley's called Lucas Motorcycle Oil Stabilizer. Now I've no intention of putting this in the motor, but it mentions how it makes the transmission run smoother, cooler, quieter. For an old 4-speed tranny (separate dry clutch)is there any chance this stuff might do any good?

Any idea what's in it?

Thick petroleum and that's about it I would imagine if its like the regular product.No additives,no anti wear stuff,nothing.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Thick petroleum and that's about it I would imagine if its like the regular product.No additives,no anti wear stuff,nothing.

It may have some undetectium. Shannow thinks so..

Never used it a tranny but, I have used the plain LOS in my MC (shared sump) and rear diffs calling for LS fluid without issues.

Just looked it up on Lucas' site and found the following:

"Insures against oil breakdown in case of overheating". Insures? Really? Lucas is now in the insurance business!

"Will not sludge or vanish". I hate it when my oil additives vanish!

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

HA! The poor "marketing" people at Lucas are so overworked, that they don't even have time to proofread!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
nothing Lucas will ever touch my vehicles or bikes, EVER.

stick some Amsoil MCV in that tranny, that will probably be as smooth as anything!

The only usable Lucas of anything is in Isis Toyota trucks in Iraq and Syria.

No. Just no.

Red Line Shockproof Heavy has vastly improved the shifting in my bike. Give that a try if you want something different.

"Insures against oil breakdown in case of overheating". Insures? Really? Lucas is now in the insurance business!

How much will they pay for an overheating motorcycle, I wonder?

The additives vanished before Lucas bottled the stuff.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The additives vanished before Lucas bottled the stuff.

You are mistaking the apparent absence of additives with the extensive use of Undetectium in their products.

It's what you don't see in Lucas which gives it all the things that it might be capable of.

It is common knowledge that the hotter an engine gets, the more likely lubrication additives will break down.
Any extreme stress on an engine will directly effect lubrication.
Ever since oil was first considered as a lubricant for auto use, companies have experimented with additives.
The biggest "snake oil" producers have always been big oil companies, their advertising budgets cover up alot of [censored] products.
You know early motorcycle race bikes used vegetable oil? Multi-grade oils were once considered a "fad"
4 cylinder bikes were considered too unstable to be reliable, traveling over 20mph was once considered a health risk...

How many current companies relied on an innovative product to establish themselves in their market? All.

If you have not used a product, do not dismiss it out of hand.

Originally Posted By: mr_blackstock
It is common knowledge that the hotter an engine gets, the more likely lubrication additives will break down.
Ever since oil was first considered as a lubricant for auto use, companies have experimented with additives.
The biggest "snake oil" producers have always been big oil companies, their advertising budgets cover up alot of [censored] products.
You know early motorcycle race bikes used vegetable oil? Multi-grade oils were once considered a "fad"
4 cylinder bikes were considered too unstable to be reliable, traveling over 20mph was once considered a health risk...

How many current companies relied on an innovative product to establish themselves in their market? All.

Interesting post. Do you have insider industry knowledge as to which big oil company additives are junk and covered up by advertising?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Interesting post. Do you have insider industry knowledge as to which big oil company additives are junk and covered up by advertising?

Conspiracy theorist, I suppose.

Me too, I would like to see a list of base oils and additives that blenders and formulators keep out of their product so they can "force" you to use something like Lucas, "GOO."

Quote:

Apparently this poster has not discerned the difference between OTC or third party additives and commercial (professional) additives.

Last edited:
G'day,

Concerning the question whether I have proof of oil companies using advertising to cover up dodgy products... is that a trick question? large companies are like politicians, they exist, therefore they are lying.
Spokesman for Exon: All our practices follow the highest safety standards.
Spokesman for US Govt.: We will find weapons of mass destruction.
I would like to know of a company whose advertising does not make up for some of the lesser aspects of their products.

Do you guys actually believe what the companies say?... Being big with deep pockets does not automatically ensure good products...thats what advertising is for, to keep convincing people your products are still great.

I treat all products with the same amount of caution, I take all advertising with a grain of salt. You always have to ask yourself something: what are they selling me? and what are they not saying?

I use Lucas products in my Harley.I also use the motorcycle additive in the black container.The transmission shifts very smooth and have to problems when added to the primary.I put half a bottle in the engine and it ran quiet.The uoa shows the oil didn't break down and could have ran longer.My two cents.

G'day,

Concerning the question whether I have proof of oil companies using advertising to cover up dodgy products... is that a trick question? large companies are like politicians, they exist, therefore they are lying.
Spokesman for Exon: All our practices follow the highest safety standards.
Spokesman for US Govt.: We will find weapons of mass destruction.
I would like to know of a company whose advertising does not make up for some of the lesser aspects of their products.

Do you guys actually believe what the companies say?... Being big with deep pockets does not automatically ensure good products...thats what advertising is for, to keep convincing people your products are still great.

I treat all products with the same amount of caution, I take all advertising with a grain of salt. You always have to ask yourself something: what are they selling me? and what are they not saying?

It must be stressful living in a world of constant fear and distrust.

Yes, being cautious and not falling for tricks is certainly a good idea. However, why would you give any company your business if you think they are outright lying to you?

I would challenge you to tell us of a company whose advertising does make up for the lesser aspects of their products. As far as I know, lubricants are not susceptible to advertisements' powers of suggestion and somehow perform better because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back