Super Tech Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart to get some antifreeze, and all they had was the Prestone and Super Tech 5 years/150,000, and the Prestone Dexcool. I bought the Super Tech 5 year/15000.

The Super Tech claims to be compatible with all other antifreeze for top offs, and for all makes and models if a full flush is done. I put it in my 1992 Cutlass Supreme, and about a week later I got thinking that the Super Tech is really a Dexcool clone. Sure enough it is a Dexcool clone. Nothing I could find written on the jug said that it was Dexcool.

I did a complete flush, and put some Peak green conventional in it which is what it is spec for anyway. What makes me mad is advertising that Super Tech is compatible with all makes and models with a complete flush is plain just false. I went through the Deathcool headache on my 98 Malibu. I know it was just a combination of cheap lower intake gaskets and Dexcool. I just don't understand how Super Tech can claim all makes and models unless Dexcool has chemcially changed.

Before the Dexcool train starts rolling, I am not saying that Dexcool is bad now. What I am saying is claims of all makes and models is hog wash for Dexcool clones unless it has chemically changed to not damage what ever gasket is installed especially for GM models 1995 and older.

Super Tech is not the only brand that claims a "universal" coolant with a flush. also, compatibility with GM gaskets is more a product of the gasket than the coolant - since many/most of the non-green variants are organic acid based.

but I agree that there is no such thing as a universal coolant. GS-05 comes close...
smile.gif

When I changed the radiator in my Infiniti, I flushed out the system using distilled water. I then needed full concentrate coolant to not disturb the ratio but couldn't source any Asian coolant or Peak Global that came like that. I ended up using *gasp* Peak LL -- or in your words -- a "Dexcool clone." Did my car explode, no. Would a spec'd Asian coolant be better, of course. I'm just going to drain & fill the system every 2 yrs to be on the safe side but I'm not worried.

Walmart is a good place to buy oils and filters and some common auto parts/fluids, but antifreeze is not. Walmart used to have several choices of antifreeze brands but they only have Prestone and Super Tech for the last several years.

Since you need to flush/drain-fill coolant every 3-5 years, getting correct coolant at auto parts store isn't too costly if you amortize it over that many years.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
When I changed the radiator in my Infiniti, I flushed out the system using distilled water. I then needed full concentrate coolant to not disturb the ratio but couldn't source any Asian coolant or Peak Global that came like that. I ended up using *gasp* Peak LL -- or in your words -- a "Dexcool clone." Did my car explode, no. Would a spec'd Asian coolant be better, of course. I'm just going to drain & fill the system every 2 yrs to be on the safe side but I'm not worried.

Your being silly about did it explode!

I hope you do understand that there was a lot of people that had a lot of trouble with Dexcool and cheap GM gaskets. I am sure Dexcool is a fine coolant and all that jazz now just as long as the gasket material is compatible.

I have not yet found any factual data that leads me to believe that Peak or Prestone long life, and the other Dexcool clones are compatible with older gasket materials. Unless the chemicals have changed, then I think there is a good possibility that gaskets can be damaged over the long term on older GM cars.

I ended up using *gasp* Peak LL -- or in your words -- a "Dexcool clone."
Peak Long Life is not a "dexcool clone"...at least not from reading the description...

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Peak Long Life is not a "dexcool clone"...at least not from reading the description...

What is Peak long life? If it's like the Peak green conventional I just bought, the corrosion inhibitors are not listed. On the Super Tech jug, which is manufactured by Old World Industries, and I think that is Peak, the description says that it has 2-EHA in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

It contains 2-EHA, the infamous gasket destroyer in older GM cars.

Ok from what I can gather and understand. Peak, Prestone, and Super Tech long life contain 2-EHA, and are Dexcool clones. I guess the patent has ran out on Dexcool, so anybody that can make it can legally. Jugs that are marked Dexcool contain 2-EHA, and I guess GM gets a royalty on every jug sold if the Dexcool name is used. Does that analogy sound about right?

It contains 2-EHA, the infamous gasket destroyer in older GM cars.

My 98 Malibu that now rests in junkyard heaven would totally agree!

BigD, if you are looking for a superior coolant that is longer life and similar to conventional green I would recommend Zerex G05. It's a very good universal ciolant. I know a lot of people that replaced Dexcool with it including myself in my Buick Century. You can also buy it as Motorcraft gold it's the same thing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
BigD, if you are looking for a superior coolant that is longer life and similar to conventional green I would recommend Zerex G05. It's a very good universal ciolant. I know a lot of people that replaced Dexcool with it including myself in my Buick Century. You can also buy it as Motorcraft gold it's the same thing.

Yes that's what I was going to buy, but NAPA and O'Reilly's was the only stores that had it in stock, and both stores had it for $18.99 a gallon for the concentrate, and I needed two gallons. Got the Peak green conventional at Advance for $11.39 a gallon using a 25 percent online discount. Considering I just wasted about $22.00 at Walmart on their Super Tech antifreeze a week ago that I had to drain, money was getting tight, so my hand was forced to buy the cheaper green conventional.

They don't have the Supertech Conventional green? My Cherokee and the F350 are due for a coolant change. Was going to use the cheap Walmart fluid.

OP, Good observation. This is an issue and poor practice in their part. The coolant marketplace has spun too many options...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They don't have the Supertech Conventional green? My Cherokee and the F350 are due for a coolant change. Was going to use the cheap Walmart fluid.

No not at Walmart's in my area. All they sale is Prestone Dexcool and Prestone/Super Tech long life 5/150,000. NAPA and O'Reilly's have the best selection of antifreeze in my area.

After replacing the manifold gasket in my old S10, I put supertech all makes in it. Truck ran perfect. I would use supertech coolant after a full flush without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back