Walmart steering wheel covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in the auto section and saw the different steering wheel covers they were selling. Am considering getting one since my Accord's steering wheel is starting to peel. I noticed they all smelled bad, though, like gasoline. The packaging also said they contain products that California deems to cause cancer (like lead)
shocked.gif
. What's the deal with that? I did some research and Amazon sells BPA-free non-toxic covers. So the Walmart ones also contain BPA?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
That labeel is on almost everything thats sold in California.

Yup, along with the Prop 65 warning and the note on every part that they may not be legal to install in a pollution controlled vehicle. Also remember it is gluten free, Kosher, Hiilah, and no animals or plants were harmed in the production and no fossil fuels were used in the distribution of that product. We always get excited when we get chemicals with the skull and crossbones or a bunch of Japanese writing with bones so we know it works.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Was in the auto section and saw the different steering wheel covers they were selling. Am considering getting one since my Accord's steering wheel is starting to peel. I noticed they all smelled bad, though, like gasoline. The packaging also said they contain products that California deems to cause cancer (like lead)
shocked.gif
. What's the deal with that? I did some research and Amazon sells BPA-free non-toxic covers. So the Walmart ones also contain BPA?

Do they come with fuzzy dice to hang from the mirror?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do they come with fuzzy dice to hang from the mirror?

Only if the license plate says "FRESH" and you are on the way to Bel-Air.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Chris142
That labeel is on almost everything thats sold in California.

Yup, along with the Prop 65 warning and the note on every part that they may not be legal to install in a pollution controlled vehicle. Also remember it is gluten free, Kosher, Hiilah, and no animals or plants were harmed in the production and no fossil fuels were used in the distribution of that product. We always get excited when we get chemicals with the skull and crossbones or a bunch of Japanese writing with bones so we know it works.

Also, many commercial buildings have that warning label on the doors to.

Daughter bought one of those and it stunk bad for a few days. Smelled awful! And yes here in this Mommy state you will find those labels on everything.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I've been using this Walmart cover for 3 years now...it's just fine....
mg2504rs.jpg

Interesting, I had the same one on a Civic. It looked decent for a while but started tearing after a year. Yours looks excellent, almost OEM. I realize the leather ones are much better, but I don't feel like i would stitch it on properly, so I went with another synthetic one, this one should be better quality, from Amazon. Any of them are going to be manufactured from raw materials and solvents that are possible carcinogens, so the same warning applies to all of them. Of course much of the interior of your car also is manufactured using toxic and carcinogenic chemicals, so I won't worry about it (I'm a chemist).

One thing I did since this 1st pic was to rotate it 180° figuring that the sun hits the top more than the bottom....is as good as new...nice for $7.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I've been using this Walmart cover for 3 years now...it's just fine....
mg2504rs.jpg

Looks very nice.

The leather cover steering wheel rim of S2000 is a little thin, I thought about adding a leather cover over the rim to make it a little thicker.

I wonder if they have one that you can sew it over existing cover ? Preferably black color.

May be Amazon has what I like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I bought one of these, and actually used better quality thread and two needles to properly cross-stitch it nice and tight. Hugs the wheel like a glove and looks great.

Amazon stitch-on steering wheel cover

Doesn't stink either. I treat it with some Armor All every month or so to keep it nice and supple.

Thanks for the link.

I need to measure my S2000 steering wheel diameter to make sure I will get the right size.

IIRC the diameter is fairly small at around 14-14.5".

Have a question, how/where do you get "better quality thread" ?

Last edited:
Measured the steering wheel, the diameter is 14.2".

Amazon Steering Wheel Cover is for 15" wheel: "Lemonbest® Universal Leather Car Steering Wheel Cover Anti Slip Auto Stitch On Wrap Cover 15".

I contacted seller to see if he/she has 14".

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I bought one of these, and actually used better quality thread and two needles to properly cross-stitch it nice and tight. Hugs the wheel like a glove and looks great.

Amazon stitch-on steering wheel cover

Doesn't stink either. I treat it with some Armor All every month or so to keep it nice and supple.

Thanks for the link.

I need to measure my S2000 steering wheel diameter to make sure I will get the right size.

IIRC the diameter is fairly small at around 14-14.5".

Have a question, how/where do you get "better quality thread" ?

I suppose I should include as part of the qualification for the term "better quality thread" as also being longer than the one they include, which was too short for my purposes.

I got mine at a sewing store. This kinda stuff. They had TONS of colors, and I got mine to contrast with the actual wrap color, and complement my car's colors. The exterior color is deep red, so I got that for thread. Looks sporty.

crochet.jpg

I got one of those cheap Wal Mart ones, been using it for 18 months and it sill looks fine. Some of the threads are starting to come loose, but overall is still fine.
I had looked at some nicer leather stitch on covers, but settled on the cheap one as a "temporary" cover, but it is still working fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back