Recommend me a polish and glaze OTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am leaning towards a pint of 3M glaze and some Griot's compound. I have a metallic paint job that is my main focus, but also have a black Cobalt that appears to be oxidized, with hail damage and some light scratching, swirls. It had a bike rack on the teunk that 'burred' the finish-kind of hazy. It is parked, uncovered and there are trees around that drop soot-n-stuff.

I have plenty of waxes and am thinking of trying nufinish, but one time i used it on a black Saturn and the spoiler began bubbling. So, what is good that can be had local? I have seen some glaze from Meguiar's 'pro line', but am interested in purchasing from those who are good people, working here for owner's that are here. !Gracias!

Meguiars 205 to remove swirls and M7 machine glaze. They are both available at autozones. M7 if applied properly will make give your car a great shine. Top with a quality wax.

Meguiars #7 is hand/machine applicable. Mother's Step 2 is also great if you want to scuff off edges of scratches along with a glaze. Meg's is straight up glaze, no abrasives. Both are awesome for paint living in the sun.

However it is too late to try and save any oxidized, or I assume clear coat that has begun to 'bubble'. You definitely can glaze the rest of the car, but the clear coat failure will just spread. Be prepared to accept that look, save money to repaint those areas, or save money for a new car. Either way, I agree that you should recondition the oils (Meg #7 is perfect for that) and try to make the best of the rest of it until then.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Razel, the trunk decklid just looks dried out and kind of like etched water spots. I think it can be restored, but if not I am not as drastic as you where a new car is the answer.

That's good news then! Sounds like the paint is just dirty and/or etched. I would start with clay, your Groits compound, glaze with Meguiars #7 and finish off with NuFinish.

Depending on how dry the paint is, you can actually leave it on to soak even overnight if you have a garage. The next day you apply another layer for the sole purpose of making it easier to wipe off. As Mr. Snoops (sp?) from Meguiars mentioned, 'like constitutes like.' You'll also save time by using several microfiber towels during the wipe. I used 6 16x16 towels and did a final wipe before waxing using a larger drying towel.

Nothing wrong with NuFinish. I remember them stating that you reapply after one month. If you want to use a different wax, I would reapply every or other month until you use it up. I did this before with Meguiars NXT 2.0. It hid swirls well and looked great, didn't have longevity with my cars, but it was so easy to apply/remove that I didn't mind. I ended up using .5oz on a small convertible so it took nearly 1 1/2 years of monthly waxing to finish it.
smile.gif
I actually miss using it.

Avoid the glaze, on a Clear Coat finish its just a topper to give a show car finish. That and it lasts about as long as it takes to drive to the car show and back home again.

You need an abrasive to remove the oxidation and to restore the shine. You can buy Meguirs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish over the counter. Many stores offer M105 and M205 OTC as well and they are just slightly better version of UC and UP for the professionals.

Top that with a good wax, or sealant ideally. I have heard many singing the praise of Ultimate Wax.

If you want to avoid multiple steps there are some good cleaner waxes with a bit of fillers. The cleaner part will do its best to shine the paint and the fillers will minimize the scratches. Of course it will be back to normal when the wax wears off, but its an easy start, especially if you don't mind waxing once a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back