LIQUI MOLY MoS2 trial run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored] this MoS2. Added it to noisy diff, now it's almost silent but then I noticed that right rear wheel bearing is growling. They should give the money back
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
[censored] this MoS2. Added it to noisy diff, now it's almost silent but then I noticed that right rear wheel bearing is growling. They should give the money back
wink.gif

I just changed some diff oil, thought about using a tad bit of MOS2 in there. Chickened out when I saw all the extensive gear-diff performance testing Amsoil Severe Gear went thru & didn't want to upset their engineering balancing act. Wonder if it would have done any good?

Well, if it works don't try to fix it then
smile.gif

This diff of mine has +280 000 miles behind, so there's not much to lose. I like MoS² but still wouldn't use it with anything new and expensive.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am not quite understanding how your multiple compressor have identical load or how they run continuously. Isn't there a tank and doesn't compressor only runs intermittently when the tank pressure drops below preset value and stop when it reaches its other preset value?

So how are you comparing fuel used in compressor?

My compressors are gas powered. I adjust the throttle screw so that the engine never goes full blast,so the same amount of fuel is consumed whether it's pumping air into the atmosphere when the tanks are full or when the air is being pumped into the tanks when the pressure drops.
Usually when the tanks fall below the minimum pressure threshold the engine goes full throttle until the tanks are full then they drop back to idle. I've adjusted the throttle screw so that they never throttle up,they stay at idle.
I've got 16 of them,and over the years I've learned to tinker with them.

333.3 miles
20.264 gallons

16.45 mpg

Looks like avg went back to normal. I did drive about 20 miles of forest roads in 4x4.

Go back an page and see that I tried Liqui-Moly's MOS2 additive in my 2006 Civic at the end of July. The plan was to run this for many months and compare to prior tankfuls ... as well as tankfuls run around the same time last year.

However, I just sold the car on Friday, the 4th.

So, I only have very limited data to go by. Still What I experienced showed significant improvement in fuel economy. And if you reduce drag enough to see fuel economy gains, you will likely see similar power gains as well. That's called a win-win ... and it cost me $7.

Comparing 3 tankfuls with MOS2 to the 3 prior tankfuls, I saw an improvement of 13.1% fuel economy. Now, the time I was using MOS2 was warmer, on average, but that's still quite an increase. The car hasn't seen consecutive tankfuls with these kinds of numbers in a few years.

The test period also included a test drive by the car's new owner ... who did not use my daily hypermiling habits. A significant handicap.

Comparing the MOS2 tankfuls to the same 2 month period last year, the increase drops to 4.4%.

During this time with the MOS2, I was using MOS2 in Valvoline Max-Life ... a non starburst oil which will not give you that last tenth or hundredth of a percent fuel economy increase. Another slight handicap.

Bottom line is, I'm sold. This stuff works ... I just can't quantify it as well as I'd hoped.

I'll be adding this to my S2000 next oil change as well as my 2015 Mazda3 as soon as I feel it's broken in ... about a year or more from now.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I am not quite understanding how your multiple compressor have identical load or how they run continuously. Isn't there a tank and doesn't compressor only runs intermittently when the tank pressure drops below preset value and stop when it reaches its other preset value?

My compressors are gas powered. I adjust the throttle screw so that the engine never goes full blast,so the same amount of fuel is consumed whether it's pumping air into the atmosphere when the tanks are full or when the air is being pumped into the tanks when the pressure drops.
Usually when the tanks fall below the minimum pressure threshold the engine goes full throttle until the tanks are full then they drop back to idle. I've adjusted the throttle screw so that they never throttle up,they stay at idle.

Did you add MoS2 to the engine driving the compressors only, or also to the compressors?

Last oil change I added LiquiMoly LM2009 (half can) for the first time. It has been over 1600 miles and it does seem to make a difference according to my butt dyno. I also added some MotorKote to the transmission over 500 miles ago. I need to go on a straight highway trip to check the mileage. About the best this car gets (SL2) when babied is 40 miles per gallon.

Funny, from all the reading about the product I expected the oil to be real dark but it is not. Just a little bit dark, not much even after over 1600 miles.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Did you add MoS2 to the engine driving the compressors only, or also to the compressors?

I did try it once in the pumps. Didn't do a whole lot. I don't think the pump gets hot enough for the mos2 to properly layer.
just the engines

255.5 miles/16.842= 15.17 mpg
399.4/24.717 = 16.16
407/23.834 = 17.08
355.2/22.341 = 15.9

Does anyone know if their Motor Protect additive has Mos2 additive in it. I notice these guys have a bunch of additives but the CeraTec (which seems to be popular) and the Motor Protect seem to be the most expensive ones they sell, however you don't hear about it as much.

I am not sure if MotorProtect contained MoS2 but i believe that is not crucial for long term protection offered. Seems Motor Protect works like microlon or militec that seems works once and have no benefit of reapplication like MoS2

Last fill up was 16.57 mpg. I'm starting to wonder if in my effort to not artificially baby it to maximize MPGs I may be pushing a little harder than normal. The V8 sure sounds good when you open her up a little.

My SL2 is very smooth on the highway runs now. I only used 1/2 can and plan to add 1/2 can to each OCI. My last highway run of over 350 miles netted 40.8 mpg. This is a rare event but not significant enough to brag about. Pretty good for this ol' beast tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back