Do I need to replace thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '04 Impala that my uncle just gave me. It has only 62k miles and has never had it's thermostat replaced. Would it need to be replaced if it's working just fine (temp is steady) because it is 12 years old but has only averaged 5 thousand miles a year?

I agree with Memphis on this. Unless these cars haveca established history of thermostat failures I wouldn't be concerned. My lady's 01 Cavalier never had its thermostat changed in over 200k miles. Did good with that
smile.gif
so I bet your car would be good for awhile
smile.gif

Also I would add to the discussion that if the thermostat is not amazingly easy to replace do yourself a favor and get an oem replacement . Cheap parts stores stats have a bad reputation for failure. Nothing worse than replacing a hard to get to working oem part as preventive maintenance and having the aftermarket part fail within a short period of time.

I believe Stant is still a good aftermarket company if you shop on Rockauto

My 96 Toyota still has the original Tstat and hoses.Knock on wood so to say.

My mom has a 2003 Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4L, in April the original thermostat stuck closed when she was in traffic and it overheated and blew the head gasket. I vote on changing it.

If the t-stat is easily acessible I woudn't prophylactically replace it, but I would carry a spare. If it's not easily replaced, I would replace it whenever replacing the coolant or when replacing the components that allow access to the thermostat, for example the waterpump. I don't think t-stat failure can be predicted. I have had them go when still pretty new, and I have had them last for years.

I replaced a Toyota thermostat with the only locally available unit...a Stant from AAP.

The Stant was so shabby it didn't even seal (I swear).

It also jammed.

It looked like garbage compared to an OE part. Always OE for stats. Kira

If it has the 3.4, it's a hassle. I'd get a "good" one like a stant superstat and drill a tiny hole for 12 o clock so it can burp air bubbles better. You can get the housing out with the right combo of stubby and regular 12 pt wrenches. The bottom hole is actually a slot, if you get the bolt a couple turns, it's free.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it has the 3.4, it's a hassle. I'd get a "good" one like a stant superstat and drill a tiny hole for 12 o clock so it can burp air bubbles better. You can get the housing out with the right combo of stubby and regular 12 pt wrenches. The bottom hole is actually a slot, if you get the bolt a couple turns, it's free.

They make a special wrench for that!

61B5oJnv7bL._SL1500_.jpg

if you decide to replace it use only oem... We dont generally replace thermostats when rebuilding engines if they look good .. we have more problems with the new ones

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if you decide to replace it use only oem... We dont generally replace thermostats when rebuilding engines if they look good .. we have more problems with the new ones
Yes, only OEM. Stant has a smaller opening than OEM. My grandmother's Trailblazer was overheating with a Stant thermostat. Then replaced with another Stant. Still overheated. Then looked at a new OEM one and the Stant and used a micrometer and the Stant had a 10% smaller opening.

Doesn't overheat with the OEM

I had a 'stat stick closed on a '76 Nova with the straight 6.
Was on the highway and it wasn't a happy time.
A newer engine with aluminum heads and/or block wouldn't have survived.
From then on I've always replaced the 'stat every other coolant change. Radiator cap too.
Back in the green coolant days that was every 4 years.
Working the plunger by hand the new 'stat always felt smoother.
Always OEM.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
We dont generally replace thermostats when rebuilding engines if they look good .. we have more problems with the new ones

Exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back