Composition of Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Is this enough to form sufficient hydrochloric acid to do serious harm to an engine in the combustion chamber? Would the small amount of blowby gases laden with hydrochloric acid be enough to cause harm in the crankcase? Or are the acid neutralizers in a good motor oil enough to render this small amount harmless?

I don't think there are enough chlorine molecules to form an acid, and yes the calcium and other acid neutralizers would take care of what might be there.

The chlorine is used in the chemical process to cause reactions with the benzene to form the solvent.

As far as cutting fluids, a different chlorinated compound is used, and it is being phased out in lieu of Greener friction reducers and EP compounds.

Hopefully that finally puts it to rest! At least for now.

i heard marvel mystery oil (MMO) can only be used with conventional oil. is this true? or can you also put it in synthetic to clean out the oil with synthetic oil?
and where can you get oil filter magnets? i got a magnetic drain plug for the 09 taurus yesterday for 6.99 but what about on the 03 camry? they didn't have it at autozone!

Marvel Mystery Oil can be used with ANY oil. Why, just the other day, I was making some french fries, and I thought "man, I wish these fries would cook faster" so I replaced 20% of my canola oil with MMO..

WOW! The change was dramatic! The fries came out perfectly golden brown and were delicious! What's more, the fries that had some of those annoying dark spots ended up coming out of the fryer with all the spots completely gone.

My friends asked me how the fries turned out so perfect, and I just told them "It's a mystery.."

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i heard marvel mystery oil (MMO) can only be used with conventional oil. is this true? or can you also put it in synthetic to clean out the oil with synthetic oil?
and where can you get oil filter magnets? i got a magnetic drain plug for the 09 taurus yesterday for 6.99 but what about on the 03 camry? they didn't have it at autozone!

Toss that cheap oil drain plug weak pathetic magnet out and order up a goldplug.com or DRAINPLUGMAGNETS.COM, either use very strong magnets.

I think MMO will mix with anything. Its mostly just pale oil and mineral spirits.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Marvel Mystery Oil can be used with ANY oil. Why, just the other day, I was making some french fries, and I thought "man, I wish these fries would cook faster" so I replaced 20% of my canola oil with MMO..

WOW! The change was dramatic! The fries came out perfectly golden brown and were delicious! What's more, the fries that had some of those annoying dark spots ended up coming out of the fryer with all the spots completely gone.

My friends asked me how the fries turned out so perfect, and I just told them "It's a mystery.."

LOL!

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Toss that cheap oil drain plug weak pathetic magnet out and order up a goldplug.com or DRAINPLUGMAGNETS.COM, either use very strong magnets.

I think MMO will mix with anything. Its mostly just pale oil and mineral spirits.

99% is more than mostly! Not sure why you would want to dilute a good synthetic oil with pale oil and mineral spirits...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

99% is more than mostly! Not sure why you would want to dilute a good synthetic oil with pale oil and mineral spirits...

Perhaps he's drawn to the scent of mouthwash? LOL
grin.gif

Supposedly there was a guentleman on another forum that had 'proof' that MMO ate bearings. Of course it was a 'pay to join' site and didn't last very long. Wonder what ever came of this?

OTOH, I can publish a 'study' that says MMO doubled the life of my engine and cleaned my engine better than anything on the market - but like most 'studies' it wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on. lol

Personally I use MMO in the gas (or TCW-3) as a UCL and for mild cleaning. In the oil i've used MMO the last 25% of an OCI as an engine cleaner/fush, but only under special circumstances. I don't normally add MMO to any oil. I use an HDEO and a shot of Liqui-Moly at each OC, and call it a day.

Last edited:
Use some MMO in the winter for easier starting if your oil was a bit on the thick side (summer oil) in the first place. Should clean too.

MMO can be mixed with any oil that carries the MMOMG (MMO Miscibility Guarantee) logo. An oil with this approval will clean out the oil with synthetic oil just like you said.

Also look for cow magnets at your farm store. You don't need to prove you own a magnetic cow to buy them.

Hey, off-topic but have you ever checked the engine mounts of the left side of your car?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

MMO can be mixed with any oil that carries the MMOMG (MMO Miscibility Guarantee) logo. An oil with this approval will clean out the oil with synthetic oil just like you said.

Oh my god! So THAT is what this logo means! I never knew that. The things you learn on BITOG!

67m552.jpg

It should be MMOO.

Marvel Mystery Oil Obsolete.

I am thinking of mixing it with Mobil 1 0w40.
laugh.gif

M1MMO for the win!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am thinking of mixing it with Mobil 1 0w40.

M1MMO for the win!
smile.gif

I think that deserves a Piston Cup Lapel Pin.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
It should be MMOO.

Now I understand the Cow Magnet comment!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Also look for cow magnets at your farm store. You don't need to prove you own a magnetic cow to buy them......

Not cow magnets, more cow bells!!!
MoreCowbell.jpg

and can you use seafoam in the crankcase with synthetic? I also heard you should only use seafoam with conventional, and do squeaky brakes mean bad brake pads and if there's a vibration coming from the wheels when you brake, is that bad?

also, my rpm needle shoots up a little just before i come to a complete stop at stoplights when i'm going from , say 40, to a stop, near 10mph, it goes down until it shoots up to 1500 rpm again, is that bad? and if you're stopped at a stoplight at a steep hill, is it normal for your car to "fall" when you're in drive gear (not neutral or reverse)? today, i almost hit a car because i let off the brake pedal but was still in drive when at a stoplight on a hill, was it normal for the car to fall when i wasn't pressing the brakes hard, or is this a sign of transmission problems? Thanks. is it likely i'll be able to get 200k out of the taurus? 09 taurus, 90k now

and can you use seafoam in the crankcase with synthetic? I also heard you should only use seafoam with conventional, and do squeaky brakes mean bad brake pads and if there's a vibration coming from the wheels when you brake, is that bad?

also, my rpm needle shoots up a little just before i come to a complete stop at stoplights when i'm going from , say 40, to a stop, near 10mph, it goes down until it shoots up to 1500 rpm again, is that bad? and if you're stopped at a stoplight at a steep hill, is it normal for your car to "fall" when you're in drive gear (not neutral or reverse)? today, i almost hit a car because i let off the brake pedal but was still in drive when at a stoplight on a hill, was it normal for the car to fall when i wasn't pressing the brakes hard, or is this a sign of transmission problems? Thanks. is it likely i'll be able to get 200k out of the taurus? 09 taurus, 90k now

1537130-mrscatterbrain2008.gif

Well, I'm done.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

1537130-mrscatterbrain2008.gif

Well, I'm done.

LOL!

---

How old are you, engineer20?

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back