Help me choose: Manual Gear oil for '03 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope some of you can point me in the right direction. I just purchased an 03 G35 6MT with 60,000km on it. The car is perfect except for difficult shifting in the mornings when cold. I get a 1st-2nd grind and first will not go in if the car is not at a full stop. After a warm up of 15-20 minutes it shifts well, still a bit notchy though.

OEM spec in the owners manual 75W-85 but no brand is mentioned. The car has been dealer serviced so I assume it has the Nissan OEM HQ 75w-85, which I think is mineral oil, but can not confirm for certain. I'm in the process of swapping out the fluids, and wondering if I should go with synthetic Castrol Syntorq LT 75W-85 available from a GM dealer, or mix some GM synchromesh with OEM to aid in cold shifting. Syntorq is what is in my '10 Vibe and even in -30c I've never had issues with cold shifts. Would this work in a Nissan 6 speed or is the Syntorq to0 low a viscosity or too slippery additive package for the synchros? All opinions are welcomed, as there are not many options available in this viscosity.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry we are talking about GL-4. Concerning the Redline, can not recall where I read it, possibly on this forum, that it contains large amounts of limestone dust which isn't good for the transmission long term? Keep the opinions coming.

+2 for the Redline MT85. DO NOT use Mobil 1 or any other GL5 in your Nissan's transmission or you'll soon thereafter be buying a new transmission.

Just spoke to my mechanic, Redline MT-85 is almost $30/quart here. He also says that an ester based synthetic like Redline may be 'too light and too much lube' and may work well when cold but not so well when hot. Is this true, can anyone confirm? I ask here as I don't want to insult him by getting into a debate I don't know much about. He recommends and prefers going with a PAO synthetic but choice is really limited here for a synthetic GL-4 with a 75w-85 viscosity, other than Syntorq or other dealer OEM oils, Hyundai/KIA,Nissan.

Originally Posted By: NemesisBob
Just spoke to my mechanic, Redline MT-85 is almost $30/quart here. He also says that an ester based synthetic like Redline may be 'too light and too much lube' and may work well when cold but not so well when hot. Is this true, can anyone confirm? I ask here as I don't want to insult him by getting into a debate I don't know much about. He recommends and prefers going with a PAO synthetic but choice is really limited here for a synthetic GL-4 with a 75w-85 viscosity, other than Syntorq or other dealer OEM oils, Hyundai/KIA,Nissan.

Redline fluids always run on the thick side. It is the cold side that lacks a bit. I'd personally run just straight MTL (75W-80) for any synchronized GL4 application.

Sorry, Your mechanic is completely wrong.

A 75W85 dedicated, application specific MTF is what to need whether it be Redline or Syntorq.

So how many times in the lifetime of a vehicle does one change the MTF?

And you're complaining about about $29.95/quart?

Can you get it via Amazon and have your mechanic install it?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Redline fluids always run on the thick side. It is the cold side that lacks a
shocked2.gif
bit.

False as well.

I'd personally run just straight MTL (75W-80) for any synchronized GL4 application.

What is a straight MTF?
confused2.gif
Are there crooked MTFs?

Last edited:
Redline did well in my 03 Nissan manual transmission. Cold or hot. Big difference after draining whatever was in it when I bought it. Just make sure if you choose any other gear oil that doesn't specifically say gl4 that it says safe for yellow metals. Otherwise it could ruin your brass synchros. If you're worried, then just get the fluid from the Nissan or Infiniti dealer.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Redline fluids always run on the thick side. It is the cold side that lacks a
shocked2.gif
bit.

False as well.

I'd personally run just straight MTL (75W-80) for any synchronized GL4 application.

What is a straight MTF?
confused2.gif
Are there crooked MTFs?

First, it is true. Compare Redlines fluids to any other with the same viscosity rating and they run on the thicker end. Redline MTL is the thickest 75W-80 out there. The cold properties are not all that great for Redline fluids. My MTL isn't great in cold weather.

Second, straight MTL means not mixed with the thicker Redline MTLs. Don't be so dense.

Third, why are you out trolling? You are making yourself look more than a bit silly.

Last edited:

...Second, straight MTL means not mixed with the thicker Redline MTLs. Don't be so dense.

Third, why are you out trolling? You are making yourself look more than a bit silly.

I always troll for dense trolls!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Sorry, Your mechanic is completely wrong.

A 75W85 dedicated, application specific MTF is what to need whether it be Redline or Syntorq.

So how many times in the lifetime of a vehicle does one change the MTF?

And you're complaining about about $29.95/quart?

Can you get it via Amazon and have your mechanic install it?

Thanks for your response. Is there a such thing as Redline being too much lube for the synchros as he claims? Says the synchro rings need some friction to operate properly otherwise the shifts will be notchy?

What would be the difference bewteen a Syntorq or Redline since both are GL-4 75w-85 spec?

Unfortunately, this is the price @ Amazon. http://www.amazon.ca/50504-75W-85-Transm...s=redline+75w85

Last edited:
Redline MT85, Ravenol, PennRite .. are some good aftermarket choices.

Nothing wrong with the GM/Mopar sourced 75w85 fluid.
Nissan/Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi 75w85 are good too.

Don't expect a fluid to fix a poorly built or designed transmission. Check shifter/clutch/... hydraulics/linkages/bushings/bearings/adjustments....

Use Redline MTL to thin out the MT85 for even better cold flow. Or, just run the MTL 100%.

Lubegard makes a fluid to aid shifting: Lubegard Gear

http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-1-sae-75w-85.html
http://www.acdelcochemicalcatalogue.com/view_picture_description.php?prod_id=151
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=4&id_products=375

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Redline MT85, Ravenol, PennRite .. are some good aftermarket choices.

Nothing wrong with the GM/Mopar sourced 75w85 fluid.
Nissan/Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi 75w85 are good too.

Don't expect a fluid to fix a poorly built or designed transmission. Check shifter/clutch/... hydraulics/linkages/bushings/bearings/adjustments....

Use Redline MTL to thin out the MT85 for even better cold flow. Or, just run the MTL 100%.

Lubegard makes a fluid to aid shifting: Lubegard Gear

http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-1-sae-75w-85.html
http://www.acdelcochemicalcatalogue.com/view_picture_description.php?prod_id=151
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=4&id_products=375

Excellent suggestions, called 6 parts stores none of these available locally except the Delco and sourcing them online is too costly, shipping, customs, duties and taxes are outrageous. Looks like I'm stuck with either Redline, Syntorq or OEM..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back