03' Civic DX - Ignition cylinder not turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm posting this on behalf of one of my friends who owns a 2003 DX civic. He went to start his car this morning and when he puts in the key the lock cylinder wouldn't budge (and thats after playing with the steering wheel). He tried his 2 other spares and nothing the ignition won't move. I'm guessing this is a worn out key-lock cylinder. How hard is it to remove and replace with a junker one? or is it possible to open it up and service whatever might be worn out?

Thanks

Sounds like one or more of the tumblers in the cylinder is boogered up.
If you can remove the cylinder from the column , take it to a locksmith - they can recode it for you if they have the same tumblers. Some dealers have the tumbler kits also.

In addition to rocking the steering wheel back and forth, push the key inward firmly and try to turn. Odds are not great, but worth a try.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Sounds like one or more of the tumblers in the cylinder is boogered up.
If you can remove the cylinder from the column , take it to a locksmith - they can recode it for you if they have the same tumblers. Some dealers have the tumbler kits also.

Before removing the cylinder, try squirting some silicone spray in it and working the key back & forth inside it. I once had a Mazda 626 with the same problem, and that did the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back