Expedition Eddi Bauer No Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Expedition has no heat. The hoses to the heater core are hot and the blend door is working. I cut into the dash behind the glove box with a Dremel and I can see the door moving. Any other suggestions about what my problem could be?

Try back flushing the heater core, see what comes out.

If it's anything like my 99 Taurus, it will require back flushing every other year.

It's the middle of summer and you can't tell if there's any heat coming out of the vents due to the heat coming in the windows?
grin.gif

Like HangFire mentioned, the heater core is the next place to start looking.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Try back flushing the heater core, see what comes out.

If it's anything like my 99 Taurus, it will require back flushing every other year.

+1 Backflush the heater core and consider flushing the whole system after if you haven't in a while

No heat. Are you saying it blows cool air?
Is the radiator full of antifreeze?
Is the vehicle getting up to temperature?

Both hoses feel hot, antifreeze is full, and truck gets up to temp. What/where is the heater control valve?

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Both hoses feel hot, antifreeze is full, and truck gets up to temp. What/where is the heater control valve?

I can't find pictures off hand

Open the hood, follow some moderately substantial looking coolant hoses, and you'll be looking for either of these (I suggest you look on the firewall on the passenger side)

Your looking for this part if you have Aux rear heat
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=869888&cc=1385333&jnid=572&jpid=2

And this one if you don't have Aux rear heat
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=869889&cc=1385333&jnid=572&jpid=1

Update: Just fired up the truck to make sure all my data I was reporting is accurate. After coming up to temp, the truck will briefly blow hot hair but it quickly fades. While standing in front of the truck, the left hose (passenger side) going into heater core is warm and the hose on the right (drive side) is HOT.

So now you know which hose is the in and which is the out, you know you have a tiny bit of flow and you know of two possible causes.

Are you going to do anything about it?

Um, so which hose is which? Instead of disconnecting the hose at the core, what is wrong with cutting the hoses to perform a back flush and then using a plastic barbed connector to reattach the hoses?

With the heater running, the hotter hose is the heater core supply, and the cooler one is the return.

Using a barb connector as a repair will work, but will lower the overall flow. If the barb inner diameter size is about the same as the valve michaelluscher linked, then it doesn't matter.

Flushed the heater core and still no heat. I'm running out of ideas. I also noticed that with heat on, the AC clutch is engaging and disengaging every few seconds. No clue if that could be related.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: outoforder
While standing in front of the truck, the left hose (passenger side) going into heater core is warm and the hose on the right (drive side) is HOT.

Symptoms of a typical clogged heater core or a bad heater control valve which yours has (AKA Ranco valve).
Check the valve with a vacuum pump. Did you back flush the core? Flushing doesn't fix a lot them if it is really clogged.

Yes, I back flushed the core. There was a slight improvement in the heat. I am going to pour a TSP solution into the core and let it sit for a day or two and then back flush again and see what happens.

I usually try to go back and forth in direction when flushing, at least a few times each. Gently though with the pressure and when handling the connections with an older heater core... don't want to blow it.

The TSP solution got some crud out of the system, but I still went ahead with CLR in the heater core. Actually, it was ZEP brand. CLR has gone environmentally friendly. I let the ZEP sit in the heater core for 20 minutes then flushed both directions. I have heat again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back