2015 GMC Sierra remote start engine longevity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired a 2015 GMC Sierra and it has remote start on the key fob and i have the ability to start it with onstar app on my phone. I find myself starting it almost every time therefore it idles a lot. i am just wondering what effect this will have long term on the engine. i want to think this would be a benefit instead of a negative thing but not sure so that is why i am asking here.

thoughts?

There's no reason to warm up an engine at idle unless it's stupidly cold, like below 0F. Although it may be more comfortable for you in the summer also when it's extremely hot, but it's not going to help the engine any.

I believe idling also causes unnecessary engine wear compared to if you just got in and drove it. Not to mention wasting fuel and adding hours to your engine over time.

Modern engines last practically forever with minimal maintenance. Start it up and make it comfortable and don't worry about it. You aren't hurting anything. Enjoy the new truck, I'm considering a 6.2 Sierra myself.

Follow the OLM and you're good to go. Idle to your heart's content, the oil companies appreciate the help.

In theory, anytime your engine is running it is wearing out.

I personally wouldn't use the remote start unless absolutely necessary, like if there was an ice storm and your windshield was frozen.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Modern engines last practically forever with minimal maintenance. Start it up and make it comfortable and don't worry about it. You aren't hurting anything. Enjoy the new truck, I'm considering a 6.2 Sierra myself.

+1 Anything you might be doing is so nominal it couldn't be registered. I want to set up our terrain with the remote start through the app. Sounds kinda fun haha.

Since most wear is at start up, and you have to start it up anyway, I doubt you are really doing any harm.

Enjoy, set your climate control and start it so the A/C or heat is doing it's job before you get there.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
In theory, anytime your engine is running it is wearing out.

I personally wouldn't use the remote start unless absolutely necessary, like if there was an ice storm and your windshield was frozen.

Yes, and also in theory the body is rusting, the tires are dry-rotting and the fuel is evaporating.
And our lives are getting shorter as our memory gets longer.

I bought a 2000 Tundra brand new. Still have it. Had a remote start installed in it the next day.
Now, 231,000 miles later, I still use the remote start almost daily.
On cold days, cab is warm, windows de-iced.
On hot days, it's not 120 degrees in the truck.
Also helps with short-tripping as the engine will reach normal operating temp sooner.

I can tell you one disadvantage to remote starting the vehicle for years.
In sub-freezing temps, the exhaust has more moisture in it during warm-up. I've noticed this moisture condenses on the body above the exhaust pipe tip. Now, 16 years later, it's rusty there. But I do live in the Chicago area we we dump tons of corrosive salt on the roads, so it's not the only rust it has.

If you're keeping your vehicle for many years, you may want to do the math between phone-app remote starter and paying a yearly fee VS. getting a key-fob activated remote start unit installed and only pay once.

On the wife's new Hyundai, the phone app version becomes more expensive after about the 7th year of ownership.
YMMV.

I have the keyfob but the phone app is so handy when its 110 degrees Fahrenheit outside and after idling for 5 mins it so nice and cool inside. i start it when i clock out at work and by the time i get to parking lot it is cooled off. i will have to see how much onstar cost to allow me to continue using app after the free period.

just interested to see what peoples opinion is of idling so much since i've never really thought of it before now.

The dilemma of high-tech, you have it and you don't know if you should use it for afraid it will detriment your vehicle, I don't have any of these fancy feature in my cars so I have nothing to worry about. The only fancy feature that my cars have and I use often is remote door lock/unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back