New Vehicle Prices: I don't get it?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh. I didn't realize that this was yet another chest thumping thread in disguise. It sure brings out the narcissists.

A person CAN finance a "within means" new car and still make out o.k.. A person CAN have some debt and still be financially responsible.

I feel like I am doing poorly in life after watching HGTV, and people buying a 400k condo, with a 590 dollar per month HOA fee with a GYM, etc.

I just registered a 2010 Toyota Rav4 with 77k miles on it. The state of Texas uses a formula to decide what they will tax you on it, and it is based on a value that they calculate. They calculated it at $12,850.

I think that the pricing on cars has gone through the roof. Part of it is government regulation, backup cameras, increased safety.

The truth is that it is tough to get a decent car for $10k-$15k on the used market.

My father is broke, he is having a tough time finding a decent car with a $5k budget.

The middle class is getting squeezed, and the loan market is pushing people into longer loans and more debt, and giving the illusion that the payment is the same.

I think $30k is entry price for new SUV. It appears $24k for entry currently for family sedan.

Folks accept that and also love the loaded versions with normal brands which only cost more used/new. Many folks out there who don't want to be caught driving a luxo brand make so they purchase the high end Toyota, Honda, GM whatever model that costs just as much.

We "scrape" by driving around in 150k vehicles that are 10 years old because we like being debt free.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I've considered (on and off) upgrading my wife's car to a new 5-7 seat SUV, but I haven't priced out vehicles in some time. I was thinking about being in the $25,000-$30,000 mark, but had an open mind and didn't know what to expect. Well, I checked out the prices.. and I just don't get what the heck is going on with modern car sales...
confused.gif

I first looked at a 2013 Ford Explorer with about 20K miles on it. It looked really nice and still had factory warranty left on the vehicle. There was no sticker price on the car, so I used my phone to look it up on the dealership's website (dealership closed on a Sunday). For a 2-year-old Explorer with 20K miles, they wanted $41,000!!!
shocked.gif

So next to it was a brand new 2015 model... MSRP'd for about $49,000!!!
shocked.gif

And the local Chrysler and Kia dealerships weren't much better. Kia Sorrento's were going for $41,000 new, and Durangos and Cherokees going for over $30,000 (and some over $40,000). Just stunning amounts of money IMHO.

Car dealer prices for late model used cars has always been like this. Try a private party instead.

Some people also spend $90 for a cell phone, $110 for cable, and $50 for internet - you know, those "needs" on a monthly basis.

The few who choose to forego certain luxuries and prefer to save money, actually DO need the other people in society. The money we choose to save and invest, only grows because others are spending everything they make and then some.

As much as I would like to shame people for their poor financial decisions - our economy (and my investments) NEED them!

I'll continue to purchase used cars for cash and yes cujet, I will save much more on used vs new, because I know how to do simple maintenance (brake work doesn't cost $400-500 DIY) and I'll not buy a vehicle that requires $700 tires, etc. I will save tens of thousands of dollars in vehicle purchases, which will compound into well over $100k in my investment lifetime. I don't need a new vehicle. Those who do - I hope you truly enjoy it.

Oh yeah, OP, look at the $70k truck thread for an older rehash of this topic.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I just don't get what the heck is going on with modern car sales...
confused.gif

2013 Ford Explorer with about 20K miles on it. $41,000!!!

So next to it was a brand new 2015 model... MSRP'd for about $49,000!!!

I write about this all the time, and people discount what I say. Sometimes refusing to believe the facts.

Purchased correctly (on sale, leftover, Costco, etc) a new car is often no more than a few cents per mile more expensive (over it's lifetime) than a used car. There are certainly times where new can cost less per mile. Honda/Toyota are "high value" used cars. Yet, can often be found discounted new.

Often used car insurance is higher.
Repairs and required maintenance on used is always higher, sometimes significantly.
Often used car financing costs are higher.
Often used cars have worse fuel economy, even among similar models.
Used cars often have problems.
Used cars have less life, regardless of how they look. They will also look "old" x years earlier. With cloudy headlights and so on.

When accurately calculated, cost per mile on a new car purchased correctly is generally 3 cents per mile more than a well purchased used car of similar class.

A used car with 30,000 miles will likely need $700 worth of tires in 10,000 miles. Some will need brakes within a year or two, often $400-$600. And on and on... Add that to your payments...

If you find that "unicorn" of a used car. You know the one everyone talks about, the $2000, garage kept, 6 year old car with 9,600 miles on it, purchase it. But don't fool others into thinking they actually exist in the real world.

I totally agree with this too, I've often been fighting the buy new fight.

Thing is, you still have the average salary in the USA around $45-50k/year, and these bigger vehicles which is what Americans want due to obesity and utility, going well into the $40k range.

Subaru Forester. 2016 model with CVT. Base model ~$23k. Next level up (Premium model): $~25k. AWD. well equipped. Seats 5. Easily affordable even new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Subaru Forester. 2016 model with CVT. Base model ~$23k. Next level up (Premium model): $~25k. AWD. well equipped. Seats 5. Easily affordable even new.

Affordable with payments in your world? Steep for cash buy.

Justin,
You can find a nice Civic or Corolla in the $5000 range.

surfstar,
I still want to buy your Civic HX.

OT:
Last year I put away $27,000 towards retirement (doesn't include my wife's retirement contributions). When I say that to middle class folks living the illusions of being wealthy and are cash poor.... they look at me as if I was crazy and not spending that money.

It is un American to NOT be 2 months behind on your payments. The neighbors will be talking.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: CT8
Yep 72 month financing allows people to purchase what they can't afford.

It's the (new) American way (live above your means)...Our government is the biggest culprit...

Let's see... Tax breaks for those who didn't need it, two unfunded wars, American industry leaving the country and getting tax breaks to boot. I wonder why.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Truck prices are high because fuel is cheap and people are buying them as cars. idiots with short term memories.

wink.gif

I got a great deal on a new vehicle. I've never bought one before but bargains do exist out there if you look (or are lucky and one falls in your lap).

I'd always balked at the cost of entry for a new car and had subsequently bought used (like many others) so this is foreign territory for me.

I don't really have any advice/guidance on the matter, just stating that new can sometimes work price-wise.

I must be doing everything wrong...
I have $900,000 in mortgage debt, $40,000 in credit cards, $1,800 a month in car and truck payments for myself and 30s children and spent $35,000 in tuition in the last 3 years.

On top of that, I'm currently unemployed and looking at a new $80,000 Diesel p/u.

My theory is that you only get one shot at life, so all that cigarette and booze money goes to fun stuff instead.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Affordable with payments in your world? Steep for cash buy.

I'm sorry but if $23k is steep you shouldn't be buying it. Considering that $23k in 2015 is ~$10k 20 years ago I don't find anything out of line. Cars are just as affordable as 20years ago and there are many options to choose from for the average buyer. There is nothing wrong with reasonable car payments. Of course no one has to buy new. In the end if someone chooses the top of the line $40k SUV when a $23k SUV would have done just as well then that is their problem.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I must be doing everything wrong...
I have $900,000 in mortgage debt, $40,000 in credit cards, $1,800 a month in car and truck payments for myself and 30s children and spent $35,000 in tuition in the last 3 years.

On top of that, I'm currently unemployed and looking at a new $80,000 Diesel p/u.

My theory is that you only get one shot at life, so all that cigarette and booze money goes to fun stuff instead.

If you're not being facetious, the only thing wrong is see is "loc:Canada" and not "'murica".

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I got a great deal on a new vehicle. I've never bought one before but bargains do exist out there if you look (or are lucky and one falls in your lap).

I'd always balked at the cost of entry for a new car and had subsequently bought used (like many others) so this is foreign territory for me.

I don't really have any advice/guidance on the matter, just stating that new can sometimes work price-wise.

Specially new cars from Honda and Toyota is not much more than 2-3 years old. When my daughter bought 2014 Accord LX new it was less than $2-3k more than 2012 with 30-40k miles.

New car with better features(better engine and something else) with 3 years/36k miles warranty for $2k more than 2012 is a better buy.

If money is tight then 4-6 years old with less than 50-60k miles are the ones to look for.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Truck prices are high because fuel is cheap and people are buying them as cars. idiots with short term memories.

wink.gif

Pretty much, no one with a truck or SUV has any right what so ever to complain about the cost to fuel it, EVER.

So when it hits $4-$6 a gallon like we all know it will, tough.

Trucks suck, if I didn't need one for work I'd be driving a car like an E250CDI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back