Of all the small toys I've been gathering so far..

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is it! A Honda EX1000 genny.

I have been longing for a Honda genny for quite some time. Unfortunately, a new EU series luggage genny is way out of the budget, and also wasn't until 2 recent local power outages (more than 6hrs each) that got me thinking once again.

Although I have a ET1200 portable 2T genny (similar to those harbour freight ones, but this one from Eastern Tool claimed to be 1200watts peak), which had helped in keeping my fridge running during the outage to keep the food from spoiling, fact is that (a) these 2T gensets are downright noisy, with noise figures at the late 70s dB @ 3m, they literally drowned out the entire neighbourhood.

Another pet-peeve is that I have to remember to mix the oil in gas and then use it, the extra hassle...

Anyways, finally cut to the chase and bought an extremely low-mileage EX1000:

Runs on regular unleaded gasoline (it's single cylinder 97cc sidevalve in iron sleeved), so no need to keep 2T oil around at all times (hate the smell, and the mixing, esp. in the midst of a storm or in the midst of the nite).

It came with 1/2 a tank (0.4gal) of stale gas (just a step away from being declared "rancid"), so although it runs, I need to take apart the carb and clean everything once before I can safely use it from now on. Also need to drain the stale gas out and check the rest of the stuff...

This is the back view of the genny:

I know 1000watt doesn't equate to much (esp. when you compare to their most recent offerings RE: Honda EU1k or EU2k series where with ecothrottle, parallel cable, pure sine wave technology, etc. I whould have no problem keeping my fridge running (that's all I care for during extended power outage, for the rest such as recharging cell phones, etc. I can do so with power packs or car battery + inverters, etc.).

Parts seems to be a bit hard to come by but nevertheless: still available.

If only I can bet my hands on one of those EX5000 that my good ole friend has over gig harbour (water cooled Honda engine, super quiet), that would be fabulous. But then again: I don't have the space nor need for that....power outage is not that frequent here in my stretch of the area...

Q.

10W30 standard multiviscosity oil.

My needle doesn't shut properly (must have hardened due to extended soaking in stale/rancid gasoline over the decades), and those stale gasoline overflowed from the carb into the crankcase, and also small pool on the floor..

Just went online and ordered the OEM replacement needle (don't trust those Oregon or Stens aftermarket ones), ditto with the float.

They both don't come cheep, but that's all I need to get that baby going, while all others seem to be in good working condition.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
This is it! A Honda EX1000 genny.

I have been longing for a Honda genny for quite some time. Unfortunately, a new EU series luggage genny is way out of the budget, and also wasn't until 2 recent local power outages (more than 6hrs each) that got me thinking once again.

If only I can bet my hands on one of those EX5000 that my good ole friend has over gig harbour (water cooled Honda engine, super quiet), that would be fabulous.
Q.

Honda does know how to manufacture engines for various applications, from 49 CC moped to power generator to car engines and even jet engines. Most Honda engines of any type are very reliable, more than others.

"Made in Japan" of course it is.

Seems to be from an era when generators weren't $200 throwaway thingies. I could easily see yours lasting 30 years in rental duty.

For info Quest my EU1000i won't start my refrigerator, eco-throttle engaged or not. I have to twin two of 'em together in order to start the refrigerator. I have a feeling your EX1000 will start your refrigerator, but let us know. I suspect the conventional generators are better at starting motors than the inverters are.

Oh, and one EU1000i is hopeless powering the clothes washer.

Thanks all for the feedback.

my ET1200 2T "bast-ard" can kick start my fridge's compressor and keep it going, so I believe this baby should be able to do that also (haven't try yet, need extra work on the carburettor first).

Last that I checked: 1996 was the last year listing EX1000 for 760bux retail, IMO not far behind with EU1000i pricing (maybe about a hundred bux or 2 less). That being said, however, the bulkiness of these traditional old generator-head design was on it's way out (for light-duty use) due to size and weight concerns, so in-comes those smaller, lightweight luggage style EUs.

I'm with eljefino RE: disposibles: the market is littered with those disposible gennys and makes you wonder why they dump cheeply made stuff (to the point of dollar stores going IPO, go figure) onto us whereas we dump e-waste back to them....same pollution mentality, different stuff though....

*sigh*

Yeah, I'm adding an hour meter to this baby (suspect that the unit was run maybe 10 mins or so and was practically new, sans owners manual and box) and will keep this one with the family until I kick the bucket.

I'm gradually falling for the Honda mentality as time goes by....some more gadgets I would luv to lay my hands on would be an E40 (yes, you've heard me right! it's only 40 watts!!!) circa 1964.....wouldn't that be so cool?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEMpOCASuA

Q.

oh BTW: E40 (yes, that's right! 40watts genny) gut is literally a modified motorcycle alternator coil set up....interesting!)

Quest, stop talking about my EM40. It is down with a bum starter rope.
I luv my EM400 also, stingy on gas. I run it 24/7 when at the cabin. 150hr OCI's and never a drop low.

-Harvey

P.S. I usually use whatever syn is laying around.

I have one of the previous generation EX1000s. The stickers & panel are slightly different, the guts are probably the same. One or two pull start, quiet as a mouse, zero smoke, runs like a watch. One of my favorite tools.

That's a neat little Honda! I don't think I've seen one like that before. It doesn't look old, but it's got to be if it's side-valve like you say. (not OHV).

My research into the subject/design of EX1000 as follows:

(1) 3 rings design (2 compression rings, top one being chrome rings, with standard automotive type oil control rings).

(2) cylinder lining should be iron sleeved.

(3) no wet rubber t-belt (this is OHV type and not OHC, kinda resembles to that of the older GX series side-valve type or L-head. cam is directly driven using metal gears.

(4) the coils are cooled by means fan-forced air-cooling. a Squirrel-cage type of fan blade incorporated on the other end of the genny where there's a fan shroud to help direct/expel hot air. Compare to many other cheep gennys which relies on rather crude mode of cooling (the generator head), Honda made it very compact to have a squirrel cage inside a shroud and draw air in ...

(5) service manual very difficult to come by (meaning cannot find free download from anywhere else). One must spend the $$ to purchase it from online sources......*grumble*

parts still readily available, but one must shop carefully, for the price variation can be over 10% or more.....

My next endeavour should be one of those cycloconvertor type of genny...to see what's the hubbub all about.

Q.

BTW: sold my 2T genny a few days ago...gave all my 2T oil to a friend of mine....

My days of 2T genny is pretty much done for, no more looking back worrying about forgot to mix 2T oil (and @ what ratio) into the gas before running...

*whoopee!*

Q.

(1) 3 rings design (2 compression rings, top one being chrome rings, with standard automotive type oil control rings).

Unless it is some completely odd design there is only one compression ring. The second ring is an oil scraper. Then the third is the oil control ring.

Nice score!

You'll be handing that down to your kids.

I have been thinking about picking up an EU1000i to supplement our EU2000i but for now our HF 2smoker will have to do.

I think that the EU2000i hits the sweet spot of output, portability and economy. We have survived with it through several prolonged power outages in the last few years although it does require a little effort to power the whole house.

Good luck with the EX1000.

My research into the subject/design of EX1000 as follows:..........

(3) no wet rubber t-belt (this is OHV type and not OHC, kinda resembles to that of the older GX series side-valve type or L-head. cam is directly driven using metal gears.

I didn't think this was a "side-valve". Unit looked way too new. Honda hasn't make a flat-head OPE engine in probably over 30yrs.

Last edited:
It's a sidevalve engine, equivalent to G100 series (97cc 4-cyl). Compression ratio is 6.5:1, not much by today's standards.

We just hand a major wind storm in the PNW area during this past weekend. The irony was: instead of the usual power outage in my area, normally due to overhead high-tension wires get knocked down by trees which are very common in our area; my parents house and their entire 6+ block area (underground high tension wires that lead into the house) went down for 16+hrs yet my house was fine.

Dad made the distress call to me 4 hrs into the power outage, asking for my EX1000 to save his freezer + fridge. I hesitantly obliged.

Since I only have some 2T-mixed gas (to 50:1 ratio) onhand, and cannot get fresh gas from nearby gas station, I decided to feed the remaining mix into the EX1000 so as to keep the fridges running. It ran on just about 4.2hrs on 0.8Gal of gas mix, and the little engine that "could" managed to keep 1 standard fridge + Woods large size freezer (I nicknamed it the chilled coffin box) compressors running nicely. Initial compressor kick start when engine was cold was a bit tough, for it bogged down the engine quite a bit for the better part of 4 secs. Once thoroughly warmed up: it didn't even budge at all when compressors kicked in.... truly amazing piece of machine.

I was running on a slightly leaky carburettor, for I did ordered some parts but had some major shipping issues with the Honda certified parts supplier online....

I already drained the old oil mixed with rancid gas, and filled with Q-state full syn 5W50 (circa 90s, clear bottle, API SM grade) for once. Ran it for 2.5hrs and then did another hot drain-n-fill...another 1.5hrs of running (totaled about 4.2hrs with 0.8gal/3L worth of gas) and the oil is now clean.

Doesn't burn a drop of oil, engine runs perfectly, not very loud at all, starts @ 1st pull, etc.

So glad that the storm is finally over (and I can reclaim my generator), and most important of all: I now realise that my EX1000 is definitely capable of sustaining 1fridge + 1 chest freezer with enough wattage headroom to spare...

Q.

I bought a small Honda genny for more than a new Chinese generator ($275) for it's reliability and serviceability. Mine is an EG 1400X and while not a small suitcase unit I can lift and carry it by myself. It has a frame which surround the unit making it more resistant impact damage. I was also in the wind storm area, but far enough inland that it wasn't a big deal and experienced no outage. According to the parts listing on Bikebandit.com I can buy a complete carburetor for $45.69! A decade ago I paid $120 for an 8hp Briggs carb.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I bought a small Honda genny for more than a new Chinese generator ($275) for it's reliability and serviceability. Mine is an EG 1400X and while not a small suitcase unit I can lift and carry it by myself. It has a frame which surround the unit making it more resistant impact damage. I was also in the wind storm area, but far enough inland that it wasn't a big deal and experienced no outage. According to the parts listing on Bikebandit.com I can buy a complete carburetor for $45.69! A decade ago I paid $120 for an 8hp Briggs carb.

So, you are in SW washington? That means you are inland then?!

This windstorm that hit PNW area gotten as far down south as Gig Harbour; where my buddy called and told me that he fired up his EX5500 water-cooled Honda genny to keep his house going...that area was known to have trees fallen down and taking out power lines for days at a time, and repair takes time as there's the eminent need to clear the fallen trees and debris first....

Wifey was in Sumas area when their lodge power went out: ended up driving all the way out to Bellingham to get food, but only to realise that they (bellingham) too, were mostly out of power...ended up getting cup-o-ramens and boiled hot water to get get by. No showers, no lights, nadda....

These "freak" windstorms have already proven my Honda genny's worth, and more to come (NOT!).

Q.

BTW: once I got a taste of a true Honda made genny, I can no longer go back to chona/chinese clones or even something remotely close copy of a Honda..those gennys are too much of a hassle/trouble for me now, no matter how cheep their initial pricing are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back