Shop said its time to change filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

This came off a 99 F250. The service shop my company uses said that we should change out this filter ASAP. Now I don't know exactly how long this unit has been in service. I put a fram in it last august. Sometime in the last 11 months this has been changed again. The trucks always run in extremely dusty conditions. Yet I can still see light come through when held up to direct sunlight. No tears in it at all. I would like to know what the bitog jury thinks. Change now or wait a couple more months?

It is hard to tell because Canada has Metric dirt
cheers3.gif
. Using the I can see light through the filter test is seems good to run a while longer Your vehicle your choice.

I'd dust it off and keep running it.
But like CT8 stated " Your vehicle, your choice."

Last edited:
Without a restriction gauge it's all guessing.

I have seen some super nasty filters with black tar on almost the whole dirty side yet restriction gauges indicated it was good with plenty of life to spare and the clean side was indeed clean. Looks don't tell you anything

Keep it in for much longer. The more the filter loads, the better it filters. Being in a dusty environment, changing too early can be particularly bad as the finer particles pass through an unloaded filter much more easily than through a partially loaded filer. I live in a dusty and windy area, have had the air filter in my Burb for more than 2 1/2 years and 30k miles and the restriction gauge has not budged. I will be keeping it in for at least 50k miles.

I will run it a little longer and check it at the beginning of rainy season. There is simply too much dust in the air at this time of the year. Imagine idling inside a sawmill for 1-2 hours a day. 5-6 days a week. This is an example of the kind of dust its exposed to.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is hard to tell because Canada has Metric dirt
cheers3.gif
. Using the I can see light through the filter test is seems good to run a while longer Your vehicle your choice.

I saw this on the recent topics column, and had to log in."Canada has metric dirt".that's the best laugh that I've had in days. kudos, ct8. have a good night.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Get one of these and know when to change out the air filter
http://filterminder.com/
I put one of these on all my engines
http://filterminder.com/products/visual-...mmet-mount.html
and here it is on my S2000(the air filter has over 75k miles on it now)

ROD

Man, using a correction factor calculator, if you wait until that gauge tells you to replace your filter, you will have lost about 7.5% peak horsepower from when the filter was clean!

Did they "test" the filter or something? Calculate it's flow? If not, don't you go by mileage? I know my Honda says every 30K. And I do it about every 20-30K. Or do you just idle in the dust and not put many miles on?

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Man, using a correction factor calculator, if you wait until that gauge tells you to replace your filter, you will have lost about 7.5% peak horsepower from when the filter was clean!

Changing at 15" on the minder will result in ~3% max power loss.
And some of that is due to the plumbing, so a clean filter will gain less than 3% vs dirty.

I change mine yearly regardless of mileage or condition of the filter. The air filter is the most important filter on a vehicle and they are cheap so why risk it? I'd change it now or wait another month.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I change mine yearly regardless of mileage or condition of the filter. The air filter is the most important filter on a vehicle and they are cheap so why risk it? I'd change it now or wait another month.

Just bought fram filters for both of my cars for under $4 each. I change when once a year, if I am going to open the housing the old filter is getting replaced.

I will change the filter out when the gauge hits 15" or 5 years, which ever comes first. We drive all over the western 11 states, sometimes putting on close to 30k miles a year mostly on the small back roads. We love crossing states and never getting on a interstate.
The last time I took off the intake arm to the T/B I found no dirt/dust in the intake arm or the T/B.

ROD

ROD

THIS! I notice a drop in upper end hp (4000-6000 revolutions per minute) within 10,000 miles on my new air filters. It just kind of numbs it down and subsides the rush it once had- on the Cobalt Ecotec.....the truck is probably different but I cannot comment now on it.

But if you're not living youre life one quarter mile at a time, then leave it in until it tears as is what the consensus always seems to be in these AF threads.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

They're more than an oil change with syn and OEM filter. Not exactly cheap. If I drove down gravel every day I might. But 10k in city/highway in relatively clean air. 3 years or 30k works just fine.

ROD
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
THIS! I notice a drop in upper end hp (4000-6000 revolutions per minute) within 10,000 miles on my new air filters. It just kind of numbs it down and subsides the rush it once had- on the Cobalt Ecotec.....the truck is probably different but I cannot comment now on it.

But if you're not living youre life one quarter mile at a time, then leave it in until it tears as is what the consensus always seems to be in these AF threads.

I didn't notice any difference in acceleration at 5-8k RPM of my S2000, with old air filter after 55k miles and 11 years or new one. May be it I timed it I may see the different, but without timer 5.5s or 5.8s is about the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back