07 Mustang droning noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 Mustang 4.0 V6,126,000 miles.

Once car is in final gear at cruising speed @1500 rpm (auto tranny) under very light load,a droning/howling sound comes from what sounds like between the dash and transmission tunnel area,maybe from behind the firewall. Howling sound disappears if you let off the throttle or accelerate with lots of throttle. Howling only exists under very light load to keep up speed. Car just started doing this a few days ago.

What in the world could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: Danno
front u joint problem is my best guess.

MIL = lol
U joint in the FRONT of a RWD car? I tracked down a sound like that to a cracked rubber air intake boot.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Danno

MIL = lol
U joint in the FRONT of a RWD car? I tracked down a sound like that to a cracked rubber air intake boot.

Could be internal to the trans, the 5R55S had occasional issues. The 05+ Mustangs had 2 piece driveshafts on most applications. The later GT500s had a proper 1 piece carbon fibre driveshaft.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Danno said:

MIL = lol

Could be internal to the trans, the 5R55S had occasional issues. The 05+ Mustangs had 2 piece driveshafts on most applications. The later GT500s had a proper 1 piece carbon fibre driveshaft. [/quote

That's what I'm afraid of,the noise sounds mechanical,like it's coming from the tranny area,between the shifter and the radio (but underneath of course). The noise reminds me of a noisy worn out rear diff under load.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Hankook tires or some tire issue by chance? Is what first came to mind.

Nope,definitely mechanical. The noise is only present while cruising in the final gear around 1-2000rpm under light throttle load. Letting off the gas the noise disappears,stomp on the gas and it disappears. BUT,lightly push the gas pedal just enough to keep the car going at a constant speed and that's when the howling noise starts.

You are probably correct with your diagnosis. Best way to confirm is put car on lift and listen to transmission and rear end.

Could be the rear end. These cars are known to have noisy rear ends. My 14 GT has some type of noise that I can't pinpoint yet. It kind of sounds like tire noise but other times it sounds like a roaring sound.

I also can hear some slight whine on deceleration so I'm sure I have some rear end issues starting. Car only has 13,250 miles on it and I don't beat on this car at all.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Could be the rear end. These cars are known to have noisy rear ends. My 14 GT has some type of noise that I can't pinpoint yet. It kind of sounds like tire noise but other times it sounds like a roaring sound.

I also can hear some slight whine on deceleration so I'm sure I have some rear end issues starting. Car only has 13,250 miles on it and I don't beat on this car at all.

Wayne

Definitely not the rear end. The noise is coming from the front of the transmission tunnel (between the shifter and the stereo) and is really loud when it's happening. Gonna take it out for a drive when I get home from work to see if it's still doing it,I haven't been in the car in a couple of days.

A bit of an update. The noise seems to gradually be getting worse. Whining in all gears now under acceleration load. Should I just take it to Ford and have a fluid change done? I definitely can't do it myself,as it has no dipstick tube to refill it. I've talked to a few people (and searched various forums online) and they've told me a machine that hooks up to the two way plug on the pan has to be used to exchange the fluid.

You can fill it without a machine, but you have to pump the fluid up through the fill/drain plug. There's a Ford "tool" to fill the transmission, which is basically a nipple that screws into the fill plug that you can attach a hose to. You fill it until fluid drips out of the fill/drain plug, then close it up.

Not super complicated, but cumbersome to fill from the bottom without the car on a lift.

I think Ford should have just kept improving the "E" versions of these transmissions and never even bothered making the others.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
There's a Ford "tool" to fill the transmission, which is basically a nipple that screws into the fill plug that you can attach a hose to. You fill it until fluid drips out of the fill/drain plug, then close it up.

Sounds like the same procedure to refilling a manual transmission. Where can this tool be purchased? Ford dealership parts dept? Is it very expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back