Bicycle racer slams into car - Tour of Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I avoid biking with others in a competitve setting because it promotes reckless behavior. It's just human nature.

There are plenty of details for cycling experts to take note of.

The only "amateur-outsider-busybody" question I have is: Were the vehicles (camera cars, support cars etc.) adequately managed on that course?

My observation is that they were traveling in and among the cyclists. Asking for trouble, no?

Have you ever seen when the Tour De Farce comes to a tumbling halt? European road rallies are another contender for sports with bystander involvement.

Originally Posted By: Kira

The only "amateur-outsider-busybody" question I have is: Were the vehicles (camera cars, support cars etc.) adequately managed on that course?

My observation is that they were traveling in and among the cyclists. Asking for trouble, no?

^This^

Originally Posted By: Kira

It can be done somewhat safely, BUT, the camera/officials motorbikes, AND the team cars MUST have MUCH experience (as in veterans of the big European Grand Tours; Italy {Giro d'Italia}, France {TdF}, and Spain {Vuelta a Espana}).
wink.gif

And even then you will see some riders during the Grand Tours, especially in the small breakaway groups off of the front, or when the stars have a problem and go back to their team cars for help, get VERY annoyed/p***ed off at the camera bikes at times when they get too close, or in their way.

WWWayy too fast, and his line for the curve was so wrong! He must not have been looking ahead. He should have never been that low.

WOW
If the car wasn't there he would have flown right off the side of the mountain....
probably would have ended up impaled on a tree.

Gotta love the motorcycle dude who decides to stop in the only lane the oncoming cyclists have to turn in only to be hit by two of them as they try to avoid him...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
WOW
If the car wasn't there he would have flown right off the side of the mountain....
probably would have ended up impaled on a tree.

Gotta love the motorcycle dude who decides to stop in the only lane the oncoming cyclists have to turn in only to be hit by two of them as they try to avoid him...

The motorcycle was not stopped, he was moving through the turn. If you look, the two cyclists, were also going too fast, they would not have made the turn at that speed. they would have either flown into the car on the high side of the curve or off the road completely. If you are gaining on a motorcycle approaching a turn, you are not going to make that turn!!! There was another motorcycle that did stop down low, but in order to navigate that turn, no bike should be that low on the entrance to a turn, at that speed. Somehow they were not prepared for that turn , they did not plan for the apex, or even to late apex that turn.
Look at the rider at 0.17 he was to the right of the yellow line! Great position, watch how he went through the turn and how he exited the turn with speed , it looked like he was about to pass the other rider.

Last edited:
It looked like an odd line to take for that corner. I don't think he'd have made it. He was up on the front wheel before the corener, then he hit the dip for the road drain. After that, it was typical bad stopping on everyone's part. It would have been best for someone to get back up the grade and slow or stop support and riders before the wreck. Aren't support vehicles supplied with radios for just this reason ?

I've seen several car accidents subsequent to one mishap as well. Sometimes our own instincts cause more trouble...

I hope everyone recovers quickly.

He really misjudged the corner! Must've been a rise or something preventing him from seeing it coming up as he still had brakes, as he did a little nose wheelie well back from the car.
As for the cars and motorbikes on the course, these guys are pros and shouldn't have an issue, I think it was just a bad corner that they should've been aware of.

I've ridden and driven that road too many times to count. It's not obvious from the video, but the road is steep coming into that turn, and mostly blind until you are right there.

A road bicycle could easily hit 60+ mph coming down the road into that turn. I think it's just a case of the bicyclist not being familiar with the road, and coming up on the turn way too fast.

Brakes failed? He didn't even slow down.

Reminded me of the Warren Barguil take out of Geraint Thomas in the TDF except sped up 10X.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Apparently idiots do travel in herds.

So now you turn your old white man rage against competitive cyclists?
I guess NOTHING is immune from your excessive vitriol.

WOW! WHAT did they EVER do to YOU? (Were you once 'inconvenienced' by a traffic stoppage, or detour, for a bicycle race??)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Apparently idiots do travel in herds.

So now you turn your old white man rage against competitive cyclists?
I guess NOTHING is immune from your excessive vitriol.

WOW! WHAT did they EVER do to YOU? (Were you once 'inconvenienced' by a traffic stoppage, or detour, for a bicycle race??)

Deep seated feelings of inadequacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back