2007 Mustang GT coolant loss help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every so often (2 months?) I will check the coolant level in the de-gas bottle (overflow tank) and it will require about a gallon. The car never overheats, it just seems to be consuming or the coolant is disappearing. No puddles underneath the car ever. The oil is clean, no milkshake. I thought maybe it was the cap, so I got a Car Quest cap from Advanced Auto Parts. The stock cap clicks into place, this one was just the tightening type. Get back home and the cap was spewing coolant all over. I noticed a hiss on the right side of the radiator (opposite the tank cap, so it's not the cap.) I topped it off, put the original cap back on, and got a refund.

So what do you guys think it could be? I do not have a radiator cap, just the overflow cap. Car runs strong. Is that hiss from the radiator on the right side a leak? Thermostat bad? Some say that the tank cracks and it's hard to see and they have had luck with a new 40 dollar replacement tank and cap.

Thanks!

Feel around the coolant lines/tank. Coolant does not evaporate quickly and you can find a leak easily. If its not external, it could be internal. My cousing had a head gasket in his econoline and had clean oil no white smoke just subtle coolant loss of about your proportion.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
What would I be feeling for around the lines? Thanks!

Ah,,, maybe moisture or slippery lines from antifreeze? Loose clamps?

Last edited:
Take it to a dealer or independent mechanic if you have one you trust and get the system pressure tested. Sounds like it might be the over flow tank. They do crack I've had experience with that. Make sure you replace it with an oem tank if that's the problem, aftermarket parts like Dorman stuff here are going to crack even faster... Went through that with my Taurus too.

I wouldn't throw any money at parts without finding the source first

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't throw any money at parts without finding the source first

But for the cost of taking it to an independent mechanic, you can throw some parts at it.

If you guys were running Dexcool, that stuff practically glows in the dark and is easy to spot. You can't miss that bright orange drip.

If you don't want to spend anything right off, the auto parts stores tend to have loaner hand-pump cooling system pressure testers, Not sure if they'll come with the right cap for the Ford degass bottles but might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back