Mitsubishi 6G72 bottom end at 257,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the image quality, just a couple of snaps I took to share, after blowing it with compressed air and cleaning off old gasket material. Just shy of 410,000 km on the original engine. Had an oil pan leak, so I yanked the engine out to replace a number of seals, etc.

bhirh4.jpg

s4ugow.jpg

2nj99nm.jpg

For the past 100,000 km (62,500 mi) the engine's had a steady diet of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 (~25,000 km/15,625 mi) and Mobil 1 0W-40 for the remaining ~75,000 km (46,900 mi).

As far as a complete oil history goes, 5,000 km (3,000 mi) intervals from 0 - 200,000 km (125,000 mi) using dealer bulk Gulf Max 20W-50 (SL/CF) from Dubai. Horrible stuff that'd come out black as tar. Once I took over from 200,000 km - 310,000 km (125,000 - 193,750 mi):

- Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10W-30 (SM/GF-4)
- Q8 Burgan Ultra 20W-50 (SL/CF)
- Q8 Burgan Extra 20W-50 (SJ/CF)
- Fuchs Titan 15W-40 (SJ/CG-4 and ACEA A3/B3)
- Pennzoil Long Life Gold 15W-40 HDEO (CJ-4, CI-4 Plus 1, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SM).
- Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 (SM/GF-4)
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 (SM/GF-4)

Longest drain interval ever has been 10,000 km (6,250 mi). Going to continue using M1 0W-40.
thumbsup2.gif

The gulf stuff wasn't that bad from the looks of the pictures. Colour doesn't concern me as much as deposits on the dipstick etc do...

very clean engine
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing. That puppy sure looks good after so many kilometers.

I suspect that low humidity and a higher average temperature might have helped a lot.

Looks clean to me. Mitsubishi gets a bad wrap in the USA but I think they do have some good capability.

The recalls and known issues we have with Mitsubishi's aren't even a tenth of the issues we have with Hyundais, on a model per model basis. We sell both.

Warranty work on a mitsu is rare, but quite common on a hyundai. I'll be changing a clutch tomorrow because of a MT gearbox leak on a hyundai (another known issue)

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's kinda hard for me to believe. Looks like its been hot tanked.

Just thoroughly blown with compressed air to get the oil off the metal parts. I was waiting for someone to post just that though because, after all, this is BITOG.

One thing I did not mention - oil changes have been 3,000 miles with both PU 5W-40 and M1 0W-40 with Liqui Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush or B-12 ChemTool before every oil change. This is my old man's truck and he insists on using high sulfur gas, hence the lower drain intervals.

I'll post more pictures once I pull the valve covers off to replace the gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The gulf stuff wasn't that bad from the looks of the pictures. Colour doesn't concern me as much as deposits on the dipstick etc do...

very clean engine
smile.gif

I don't know what the engine looked like with the Gulf stuff to be honest, but most lubricants coming out of the Mid East don't even meet half the specs printed on the bottles. So if it's not coming from Europe or North America, it doesn't go in my engines.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Andy636

I suspect that low humidity and a higher average temperature might have helped a lot.

On average, the truck sees a lot of highway use - a minimum of 28 km per trip. Average temperatures are pretty high though, with a low of 105 F (40 C) in the evening!

Had a Diamante with a 6G73 in today, it'd done 30,000km on our Mobil 10/40, paint was peeling off the oil filter like it might've been very hot...and plain water, no coolant. Mitsi get a bad rep, but they can take some abuse and do big mileage.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

very clean engine
smile.gif

I don't know what the engine looked like with the Gulf stuff to be honest, but most lubricants coming out of the Mid East don't even meet half the specs printed on the bottles. So if it's not coming from Europe or North America, it doesn't go in my engines.
smile.gif

On average, the truck sees a lot of highway use - a minimum of 28 km per trip. Average temperatures are pretty high though, with a low of 105 F (40 C) in the evening!

Gulf is an american company though.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

very clean engine
smile.gif

smile.gif

Gulf is an american company though.

So is Mobil. Castrol and BP are British, but for this part of the world, they're blended in the UAE. In fact, Mobil, Castrol and BP are all blended by Middle East Lubricants Ltd. in Dubai.

Typically, lubricants sourced from Dubai are much like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back