Schaeffer's Supreme 9k -virgin and @ 9800 miles-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a long time reader, but this will be my first post (after actually joining only a few months ago)...

I pamper my 6.4 Powerstroke, and maintain a rigid maintenance schedule on it. I finally pulled the trigger on a NUC made Amsoil filtered Oil Bypass system @ around 90k miles. I swear to you fellas the oil 'looked' pristine even after 2k miles, and only looked like it had a few hundred miles on it even after 3k miles... By 5k miles, it was decidedly taking a black tone (from the Schaeffer's trademark green).... I decided to send a sample @ around the 7k mile mark, and finally got around to it @ 9800 miles. Obviously, from its appearance, I wasn't too worried about those extra 2k miles.

I run a coolant filter, and I vent the CCV to atmosphere after routing it through a homemade (pvc) catch can. The truck is exhaust deleted and EGR blocked. The bypass oil filter wouldn't fit on the frame rail under the passenger front seat, and due to the location(s) of the coolant filter and the CCV catch... So... I pushed it further back the frame rail, just in front of the rear passenger wheel. Instead of running soft lines or even stainless braided lines all that distance, I decided to play lab rat, and introduced two 4' long cylindrical (what's marketed as-) coolers- these replaced the soft lines I ran the first 4k miles of this OCI... I figured that precious black gold was safer in those things than in lines... When I introduced the coolers, and discovered they hold about a gallon of oil total, I obviously added that gallon... That was about 94k miles.

(pics attached below)

hph...b04c9ac3d255db3

hph...0197aa742bc43e5

hph...f0dbdf10267ad99

So... that's all nice and good.. but the purpose here is Oil, and here ya go- this is a virgin sample I had Blackstone analyze, and then the same oil @ 9800 miles. I'm pretty happy with it. What do y'all think?

(sample attached)

hph...a27ff26ca8dc209

hph...f459480470b2751

thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts about the topic and analysis.

Apparently new guys can't post pictures, just links? Anyway... Here are two more pics...

The first pic is @7200 miles and after a 2k mile run, and the second is at the full 9800 miles...

I wish I had installed a bypass filter long before I did.

hph...a026fddcc6a26d4

hph...ad39d2aa423700d

Very nice. Nice job on the plumbing & your wear #'s are great. The TBN is close to new oil. What do you figure the total sump capacity is now?

funny you should ask....

Ford says the capacity is 15qts, of which I've never got more than 13.5qts out of, and no, it isn't being burned. I figure it's trapped, and truly in there, giving them the benefit of doubt... I implemented the PVC CCV catch can out of simple curiosity, and just to see if it was being vented... there is very little vented oil- as in just a film.

I now use four full gallons, and call it good, and figure there is an additional two quarts in there, making total sump somewhere around 17.5~19 quarts.

Last edited:
That sample at 9800 miles looks strikingly similar to oil sample from my Detroit 60 12.7L pre-egr after around 25,000 miles. Almost identical numbers on everything but aluminum, which yours is a little higher. My Detroit only "eats" about 1-2 quarts in that time. I run a FS2500 bypass on mine and get similar results. I am running the Schaeffer also.

Looks good!

I'm glad to hear that, sir.

I chose shaeffer's carefully after months of researching, and after getting a series of high aluminum counts using rotella T6. I come to the conclusion, all on my own and after viewing both my own analysis and those of others, that those who run T6 in motors like mine, have elevated aluminum counts. It's pretty much that simple.

I was on an island when I chose schaeffers, as most people told me I was foolish to use it. They are hard core M1, delvec, rotella, and amsoils fans. I had to order it from Amazon. I sent a virgin to Blackstone even though my purchase offered five free labs from schaeffers. I sent the 9800 mile run back to Blackstone for continuities sake. All the while, I'm hoping I did the right thing because this was my first use of the brand.

The shear/protection approach is what sold me on it. There was an independent study done, and hoping it has authenticity, where the schaeffer's supreme specifically was used, and it scored only consistently behind amsoil HD (not the regular diesel/marine amsoil)... Even then, it was close and only in a few places... Supreme 9000 is only a few dollars more than T6 per gallon, a lot cheaper than amsoil, and a metric ton cheaper than the few group fives out there.

Are your miles mostly OTR? I think Blackstone misunderstood my note to them thinking I had changed oil out, but I didn't... It's still in there... I just flipped the fumoto and filled a little plastic sample cup.
smile.gif
. I'm going to run it to 12k miles before changing it out. I'm new to this extended interval notion, and my subconscious is going to have me changing oil when my consciousness thinks I'm asleep.

The cooler pipes add that certain touch of class.
Deleted ,bypass filter and 15 quarts , nice.

You did a nice job.

whoever moved the thread to it's proper place, thank you...

Neely: thank you for the compliment.

Originally Posted By: drewactual
Apparently new guys can't post pictures, just links? Anyway... Here are two more pics...

The first pic is @7200 miles and after a 2k mile run, and the second is at the full 9800 miles...

I wish I had installed a bypass filter long before I did.

11813241_10153623549208755_1929948296089185981_n.jpg

hph...ad39d2aa423700d

The 'img' tag wants to see an xxx.jpg or xxx.gif or xxx.png file, not the massive keyed-file link you put in there, thats all, just a tech problem.

What was the manufacturing date of Schaeffer oil? I thought they went to a calcium and magnesium mixture as opposed to just calcium. It also looks like they lowered the Molly content .

I'll have to look, spider, as I have a few jugs of the two cases left over.

can't tell you it makes me happy to discover that they play with the content without making it known prior. I'd much rather find something that works well and stick with it.

can't tell you it makes me happy to discover that they play with the content without making it known prior. I'd much rather find something that works well and stick with it.

You're kidding, right.

ALL, Oil manufactures and blenders change formulations about as often as I change socks.

That is why I always suggest a VOA before sending in a UOA.

And they plainly state in their literature (fine print) they have the right to make changes without prior notification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

You're kidding, right.

ALL, Oil manufactures and blenders change formulations about as often as I change socks.

That is why I always suggest a VOA before sending in a UOA.

And they plainly state in their literature (fine print) they have the right to make changes without prior notification.

actually, I wasn't kidding... I didn't know that alterations were that common after marketing a product.. I recall hearing that Shell did this some time back with their Rotella, and I recall some backlash... but, no... I didn't realize they did it so much you'd have to watch every batch.

dangit... why do you gotta tell me such things?!?!?!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back